Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #1

Problem with KX picture defect

I have just recently purchased a KX and have noticed what appeared to be a hair on the lens but after changing lens, don't a camera dust removal, dust alert, pixel mapping and sensor cleaning there hasn't been a change.

The defect is still there. Then I had a close look at my pictures and noticed that the defect disappered if some thing other than a blus sky was taken.

Have a look at the pictures and you will see what I mean.

In this photo the fault is clear in the all blue sky.

In this photo the fault seems to improve. Part of the fault remins but where the ridge line of the cottage intersects the fault it disappears.

Can anyone provide an explaination?

Cheers

Attached Images

08-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me it looks like a hair or something on the sensor. A sensor defect would most likely show up as a line or several lines.

Try to use different apertures (but same overall exposure) - if the contrast and width of the pattern changes with the aperture it must be something on the sensor.
08-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It sure looks like dust on the sensor.

Sometimes, a piece of dust can get in between the outermost filter on the censor (which I believe is the IR sensor) and the sensor itself. I've had this happen with my K20D. I had to send the camera to Pentax for servicing.
08-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #4

Dust on the sensor. The inbuilt dust removal function doesn't guarantee 100% dust removal, you might want to use a blower instead (page 287 of the manual). If problem persist, bring your k-x for a sensor cleaning session.

08-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dirty sensor. Welcome to the real world of dSLR..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-sensor.html

08-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I purchased the camera a mere two weeks ago and I just could see how a hair or bit of dust would get there so quick.

But, it was my first thought that it might be that. And with the information provided here I think I can conclude 'dust' or 'hair'.

I'll take the advice and investigate carefully using the advice from the link Dirty Sensor? provided by JeffJS.

Thanks all.

08-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kancho Quote
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I purchased the camera a mere two weeks ago and I just could see how a hair or bit of dust would get there so quick.
There's no particular reason it would take a long time to get there, is there?
08-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Each time you remove a lens you risk "environmental unfriendlies" getting into the camera and coming to rest on the sensor. This can happen the very first time you change the lense (or instal one) onto your body. As your experience with DSLR ownership continues, you'll come to find specks or hairs on the sensore can, in almost every case, be easily removed by using a blower or some quick and general cleaning. Only on rare cases would you need to send a camera off for sensor cleaning, in my opinion.

Jason

08-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You can even get dust without changing lenses, especially if you use a zoom lens (aka vacuum pumps). Dust comes and goes randomly - sometimes new spots appear within a week, sometimes you might go months or even perhaps a year or more without getting one.