Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Junior Member
jwiles's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 45
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The K-x is no different than any other camera - the higher the ISO, the worse the IQ. and that applies to resolution and color accuracy as well as it does to "noise" per se.
Thanks Mark

08-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
re: LIGHT IN VIEWFINDER

Unless the geometry is radically different, this should apply -- on p.127 of my K20D manual, discussing use of remotes, it says at the top of the page:
Exposure may be affected if light enters the viewfinder. Attach the provided ME exposure cap or use the AF lock function... To ignore the light entering the viewfinder, set the exposure mode to M (Hyper-manual)...
08-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 535
Hi John,
A couple of years ago, I set out to photograph every tiny wildflower I could find, and I have developed a rather unique and highly effective macro technique that increases both color saturation and detail.
I have over 300 macros of identified wildflowers on my website, and a couple of hundred others that I haven't identified or uploaded. Google my name and click on any link to Photoshelter, then click on Tiny Wildflower Macros. I use mostly the DA 35mm macro Limited, but quite a few of them also were taken with the DFA 100mm macro.
If you like what you see and will contact me through my website, I'll share my technique with you.
08-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #19
Junior Member
jwiles's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 45
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
I have a half a dozen shots that prove, without doubt, that light gets in through the viewfinder without caps.
I won't argue with you there. Back in my film days I used a Konica NT3 body. It actually has a lever that closes off the viewfinder! Later, when they came out with the FT-1 motor drive body, They took the in-camera viewfinder shade out and supplied a device on the strap to do the same thing. I've heard folks talking about a similar item on Pentax straps, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to use it!

08-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
Junior Member
jwiles's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 45
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Unless the geometry is radically different, this should apply -- on p.127 of my K20D manual, discussing use of remotes, it says at the top of the page:
Exposure may be affected if light enters the viewfinder. Attach the provided ME exposure cap or use the AF lock function... To ignore the light entering the viewfinder, set the exposure mode to M (Hyper-manual)...
This might sound like a dumb question but what do they mean by "ME exposure cap?"
I don't see a reference to that in my manual (K-x).
08-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by jwiles Quote
This might sound like a dumb question but what do they mean by "ME exposure cap?"
I don't see a reference to that in my manual (K-x).
Turn to the pages where the Remote is discussed. The ME cap, is the viewfinder cap that was floating around in your box when you bought the camera. To put it on, you have to remove the rubberized eye piece. Since it's such a pain in the butt to do, I'll typically toss a hat or something over the viewfinder in these situations.

Sorry, Mirror Lockup, Pg 133.

09-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #22
Junior Member
jwiles's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 45
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Turn to the pages where the Remote is discussed. The ME cap, is the viewfinder cap that was floating around in your box when you bought the camera. To put it on, you have to remove the rubberized eye piece. Since it's such a pain in the butt to do, I'll typically toss a hat or something over the viewfinder in these situations.

Sorry, Mirror Lockup, Pg 133.

I checked with Pentax - the Kx doesn't come with one.
09-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,684
QuoteOriginally posted by jwiles Quote
I checked with Pentax - the Kx doesn't come with one.
My K20D came with one, but damned if I can find it.

I question whether a 1s exposure even needs the ovf blocked. It is my understanding that this is needed for slow exposures, as in 30s plus.

09-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #24
Junior Member
jwiles's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 45
QuoteOriginally posted by jwiles Quote
I checked with Pentax - the Kx doesn't come with one.
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
My K20D came with one, but damned if I can find it.

I question whether a 1s exposure even needs the ovf blocked. It is my understanding that this is needed for slow exposures, as in 30s plus.
Word I just got from Pentax On-Line Chat Help is no light is able to penetrate when the mirror is up. Furthermore, I searched for the cover and it seems they made them available for their SLRs and some DSLRs but stopped including them about the time AE lock became available. You can still buy one from Adorama. I'm thinking AE lock is the way to go if you have that feature though.
09-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by jwiles Quote
You can still buy one from Adorama.
One word: Plastic.
One more word: Gaffer's Tape.
Yet another word: Drape a bandanna.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
approach, camera, dslr, f/16, iso, k-10, k-7, macro, photography, quality, shutter, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Color Saturation FishrOfGrizz Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 11-04-2009 03:36 PM
iso vs shutter speed vs arperature Wired Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 22 08-20-2009 05:43 AM
Shutter release color change joefru Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 06-27-2008 08:44 AM
Color Temp & Saturation Jewelltrail Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 05-23-2008 05:05 AM
At same aperture/shutter speed, does ISO have impact on IQ? falconeye Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 02-17-2008 01:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top