Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The K-x is no different than any other camera - the higher the ISO, the worse the IQ. and that applies to resolution and color accuracy as well as it does to "noise" per se.
Thanks Mark

08-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

re: LIGHT IN VIEWFINDER

Unless the geometry is radically different, this should apply -- on p.127 of my K20D manual, discussing use of remotes, it says at the top of the page:
Exposure may be affected if light enters the viewfinder. Attach the provided ME exposure cap or use the AF lock function... To ignore the light entering the viewfinder, set the exposure mode to M (Hyper-manual)...
08-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi John,
A couple of years ago, I set out to photograph every tiny wildflower I could find, and I have developed a rather unique and highly effective macro technique that increases both color saturation and detail.
I have over 300 macros of identified wildflowers on my website, and a couple of hundred others that I haven't identified or uploaded. Google my name and click on any link to Photoshelter, then click on Tiny Wildflower Macros. I use mostly the DA 35mm macro Limited, but quite a few of them also were taken with the DFA 100mm macro.
If you like what you see and will contact me through my website, I'll share my technique with you.
08-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
I have a half a dozen shots that prove, without doubt, that light gets in through the viewfinder without caps.
I won't argue with you there. Back in my film days I used a Konica NT3 body. It actually has a lever that closes off the viewfinder! Later, when they came out with the FT-1 motor drive body, They took the in-camera viewfinder shade out and supplied a device on the strap to do the same thing. I've heard folks talking about a similar item on Pentax straps, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to use it!

08-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Unless the geometry is radically different, this should apply -- on p.127 of my K20D manual, discussing use of remotes, it says at the top of the page:
Exposure may be affected if light enters the viewfinder. Attach the provided ME exposure cap or use the AF lock function... To ignore the light entering the viewfinder, set the exposure mode to M (Hyper-manual)...
This might sound like a dumb question but what do they mean by "ME exposure cap?"
I don't see a reference to that in my manual (K-x).
08-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jwiles Quote
This might sound like a dumb question but what do they mean by "ME exposure cap?"
I don't see a reference to that in my manual (K-x).
Turn to the pages where the Remote is discussed. The ME cap, is the viewfinder cap that was floating around in your box when you bought the camera. To put it on, you have to remove the rubberized eye piece. Since it's such a pain in the butt to do, I'll typically toss a hat or something over the viewfinder in these situations.

Sorry, Mirror Lockup, Pg 133.

09-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Turn to the pages where the Remote is discussed. The ME cap, is the viewfinder cap that was floating around in your box when you bought the camera. To put it on, you have to remove the rubberized eye piece. Since it's such a pain in the butt to do, I'll typically toss a hat or something over the viewfinder in these situations.

Sorry, Mirror Lockup, Pg 133.

I checked with Pentax - the Kx doesn't come with one.

09-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

My K20D came with one, but damned if I can find it.

I question whether a 1s exposure even needs the ovf blocked. It is my understanding that this is needed for slow exposures, as in 30s plus.
09-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
My K20D came with one, but damned if I can find it.

I question whether a 1s exposure even needs the ovf blocked. It is my understanding that this is needed for slow exposures, as in 30s plus.
Word I just got from Pentax On-Line Chat Help is no light is able to penetrate when the mirror is up. Furthermore, I searched for the cover and it seems they made them available for their SLRs and some DSLRs but stopped including them about the time AE lock became available. You can still buy one from Adorama. I'm thinking AE lock is the way to go if you have that feature though.
09-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

You can still buy one from Adorama.
One word: Plastic.
One more word: Gaffer's Tape.
Yet another word: Drape a bandanna.