Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 03:19 AM   #1

Faulty Shake Reduction Switch

Hi, the shake reduction in my K10D stopped working recently, and this was put down to a faulty surface-mounted switch on the A200 circuit block. I was told that the only way to fix this, was to purchase a new A200 PCB costing about 20, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the switch can be bought as a separate component? It's a tiny push-to-make (I assume!) switch measuring about 4mm * 4mm * 1.5mm-picture attached. In addition to the soldered contacts, it has a couple of small plastic locating lugs which protrude through the flexible PCB. Name:  SR Switch 3.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  90.0 KB

08-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably not from Pentax.
If you have a local repair shop, they might be abel to order one.
Sadly Pentax is pretty small and these types of repairs get shipped to one of a few repair centers.
If anything, you can try somewhere like C.R.I.S cameras (criscam.com) and see if they'll send you the part.
Either way, most likely they would only have the PCB anyway and not even be able to sell a single component. Most places would not waste time soldering such a small component when it is easily replaceable with a fairly low priced PCB.

Still, you can try.
08-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, actually it took less time to unsolder & remove the little switch than it would have done to remove the whole PCB (and less risk of damage)! I've had a quick look at various sites selling SM components, but no luck so far. I'm sure it's just a standard switch probably used in all sorts of cameras, i-pods etc, it's just knowing where to look. I'll probably end up getting the whole PCB in the end...
08-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try Digikey for the switch.

DigiKey Corp. | Electronic Components Distributor | United States Home Page

08-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check eBay for a cheap broken camera to use for parts if you cannot find the switch you are looking for.
08-31-2010, 08:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ok thanks to all for your help, here's what I did to fix this problem: I couldn't match the switch, so I bought the complete new PCB, but unsoldered the little switch from it & soldered it into my old PCB. I thought this was less risky than removing & replacing the entire flexible PCB. My camera's now working perfectly!

James.