Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jon in SC Quote
My K7 is weather sealed and as already been mentioned weather sealed does not mean waterproof. I am still very careful to keep the camera from going for a swim or getting splashed really heavy. But just today I took the K7 out in a moderate rain shower and shot three hours worth of photos in and around a local swamp. It never missed a shot and didn't suffer any ill effects. Of coure when I got it home I made sure to clean it real good, but its in the case right now and ready to go should I choose to shoot tomorrow.
Well said. One other thought is to look at the accessories (cards, batteries, etc). That's why I mentioned the waterproof bags for everything. They may add a little bulk overall, but it'll well be worth it if/when the need is there.

One other thought is overall weather. I would get something with as much temperature tolerance as possible (for everything). It sounds like a long trip (yeah, I'm jealous ) and you may hit some pretty interesting extremes.

If weight is no factor, then I'd even look at a couple of bodies so changing lenses doesn't have to happen often.

Good luck on the trip and I hope to see the pictures of you adventures!

08-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

I can state unequivocally that the K10D + DA* 16-50 can survive extremely heavy wet. I and my camera got completely soaked when I went behind Moul Falls in Wells-Grey Provincial park. The only thing I did was to keep the lens pointed down so that the water did not fall on the lens front element and blur my photos. I did have to clean up the eyepiece several times to be able to see through the viewfinder. There were no effects on the camera at all. None. Pentax's weather protection rates highly in my book. I have used SLR cameras since 1961, and have never had a camera that would go through that soaking without a big cleanup later. A whale tail splash in Victoria forced me to go through emergency wipe down of my KX and A 70-210 so that I was the cause of intense humour from my immediate family, but managed to avoid any permanent damage. Salt water ain't fun. The KX by the way was the beautiful mechanical beast that used film, not the new K-X.
08-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #18

If you get a camera that uses AA's, I think you should consider using the Lithium AA's. A set came with my new K-x. They last a very long time (way more shots than a set of fully charged Eneloops), they weigh significantly less than Eneloops, you won't have to worry about recharging them (if you're camping you may not have access to electricity), you won't have to carry a charger. Keep an extra set with you. They have a very long shelf life, so that won't be a consideration. Myself, I'm using Eneloops, but I'm not camping. I saw another poster saying he prefers to use the Lithiums over the Eneloops inasmuch as they are reasonably cheap/shot and he won't have to concern himself with charging his batteries. In your case, they make even more sense.
08-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

For me weather sealings are everything, a must, to the point that I dont take my k-x with me unless its an indoor shooting.
But then again, I love to crawl in the mud looking for interesting things to shoot with my DA* lenses

08-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Aljie, perhaps you could find useful info in this blog. This guy is a great friend of mine and last year he went to the Antarctic expedition having brought amazing pictures back. Along with the pictures, he wrote a good deal about the gear, so perhaps it would prove useful for you.
08-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Hat = Tilley.

Alternatives exist and you may like one of those better. But Tilley seems to have the largest and most loyal following because it's water-resistant, it floats, the brim is large enough to be useful (sun, rain) and soft enough to move out the way when you bring the camera to your eye, well-ventilated (in some models), and washes up well.

Oh, and it's insured against loss, theft, and failure by the manufacturer in Ontario.

Yes, I have one. Dollar for dollar, it is the best photo money I've spent (barring the Blackrapid double strap).

Let us know what you decide about all of this. Isn't planning fun??
08-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Hat = Tilley.

Alternatives exist and you may like one of those better. But Tilley seems to have the largest and most loyal following because it's water-resistant, it floats, the brim is large enough to be useful (sun, rain) and soft enough to move out the way when you bring the camera to your eye, well-ventilated (in some models), and washes up well.

Oh, and it's insured against loss, theft, and failure by the manufacturer in Ontario.

Yes, I have one. Dollar for dollar, it is the best photo money I've spent (barring the Blackrapid double strap).

Let us know what you decide about all of this. Isn't planning fun??
My Tilley (see my avatar) is the (in)famous T2 which has a very wide brim. After the first couple of times through the washing machine (the recommended treatment), it gets rather floppy, although not as badly as the hat worn by the mule skinner in Dances With Wolves.
08-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My Tilley (see my avatar) is the (in)famous T2 which has a very wide brim. After the first couple of times through the washing machine (the recommended treatment), it gets rather floppy, although not as badly as the hat worn by the mule skinner in Dances With Wolves.
Have it on during your Moul Falls adventure?? That's a great story, by the way. I cannot imagine my friends even dreaming of treating their precious cameras like that.

08-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Have it on during your Moul Falls adventure?? That's a great story, by the way. I cannot imagine my friends even dreaming of treating their precious cameras like that.
There was another fellow there that day (it was a family reunion) and he took his K200d under the falls as well.
08-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I lost my K100 when I was on a hiking trip and got caught in a freak storm. I had a non weather proof back pack that I stowed it in, but it still got soaked. After drying out, the back LCD never worked right again. Needless to say, I decided to upgrade to the K10, precisely for the weather sealing it provided.

I personally would not buy a non sealed camera again. If you spend much time out doors, getting weather sealing and then getting the sealed kit lens is worth it in my opinion. The K7 is my personal favorite, but any of them K10, K200, or K20 will do as well.
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Being outside, trekking and camping for a long period of time will take a toll on your gear and it's likely to get wet at some point no matter how hard you try. My K10D has taken a beating and held up so far so I can vouch for it's durability. A DSLR with lenses will be a lot of weight to haul around for a long term trip. As much as I love my camera, to be absolutely honest, I would look for a quality, weather resistant P&S like the Optio WR90. It has pretty good zoom range and macro capability. Long distance backpacking will take a toll on your body. A DSLR with an extra lens are going to be like rocks in your bag. Most people who set out on long distance treks start out with all the "essentials" you see on lists in outdoor magazines. By the end of the first month, half of it is usually shipped back home.
Yes I agree
08-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I lost my K100 when I was on a hiking trip and got caught in a freak storm. I had a non weather proof back pack that I stowed it in, but it still got soaked. After drying out, the back LCD never worked right again. Needless to say, I decided to upgrade to the K10, precisely for the weather sealing it provided.

I personally would not buy a non sealed camera again. If you spend much time out doors, getting weather sealing and then getting the sealed kit lens is worth it in my opinion. The K7 is my personal favorite, but any of them K10, K200, or K20 will do as well.
Would the weather sealing really have helped?
08-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I do a lot of backcountry trips with my K-x and usually just a couple of primes (DA40 and DA15) and my macro focusing TC. Lately, I just put the camera in a zing neoprene cover with one of those lenses on it. Then I put the other lens in it's bag and put everything in a small OR window dry bag that goes into my backpack. This gives enough water protection that I could fall into a river and still keep my equipment dry. It doesn't provide any padding, so I've put some of the padded inserts from my camera bag into it if it's looking like it could be a bumpy trip. This setup is small, light, cheap, and totally waterproof. Maybe something similar would work for you too.
08-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Would the weather sealing really have helped?
Yes, I have a couple of weather sealed lenses and with a sealed camera, it would have tolerated the rain just fine. I have shot with the K20/K7 in pretty heavy rain already, certainly being in a bag would have been adequate protection in that situation.
08-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Shooting around Southern California means WR is not that high on the list as we average 13" of rain or less per year. Traveling through Oregon was a different story, though.

I was, however, at a local rodeo that had some heavy clouds and very light rain, using the K20D and 55-300. I wasn't too worried about the body, and just wiped off the lens occasionally. I did have an "Oh, heck" moment when I tilted my straw hat down and a whole stream of water splashed onto the lens barrel. I just wiped it off again and all is still fine.

Here is shot showing the fancy Canon WR at the same event.