Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Shooting around Southern California means WR is not that high on the list as we average 13" of rain or less per year. Traveling through Oregon was a different story, though.

I was, however, at a local rodeo that had some heavy clouds and very light rain, using the K20D and 55-300. I wasn't too worried about the body, and just wiped off the lens occasionally. I did have an "Oh, heck" moment when I tilted my straw hat down and a whole stream of water splashed onto the lens barrel. I just wiped it off again and all is still fine.

Here is shot showing the fancy Canon WR at the same event.
Living in Oregon and being an outdoorsy person...WR is a must for me. Gotta love it when you're at the base of Multnomah Falls and you can shoot away no problem while the Canon Rebel crowd is hiding their cameras in their coats.

08-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #32

I live in a tropical country
lots of rains and sudden rains...

WR would be great
well I can say a must.
08-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #33
Forum Member

I bought my K-7 because of its WR, along with the DA*16-50. Although I live in Arizona, when it rains, it really rains. I also have taken it on river trips. You shouldn't go snorkling with it, but I haven't had problems with either dust (which is much more frequent) or wet. I backpack with a tripod and multiple lens, and you really have to have a dedication for photography to even care about taking pictures at the end of a long day of desert backpacking. Many times, I just bring my P&S. I don't enjoy the process of taking the pictures nearly as much, but I enjoy the backpacking all the more. An ounce in the morning feels like a pound in the evening. Still, I generally compensate by leaving camping gear at home when I haul the K-7 (which is one really beautiful machine). In the end, decide on what experience you are looking for and pack accordingly.
08-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To everyone who joined in the discussion - thanks, it was great to meet you all and learn about your very diverse photographic experiences, from swamps, storms and mud to the Afghanistan dusts. You really have put your Pentaxes through it ... and come out the other side.

I am still weighing up all your advice (quite literally, as camera bulk and weight is one of my considerations) but am leaning towards the K-x. For a start, I am now convinced that carrying just an 18-55 lens won't be sufficient ... and I've found an offer in a local store which bundles the K-x body with 18-55 and 50-200 lenses for £425 (that's around US$655) which will leave me with some spare cash for waterproof bags, batteries, Tilley hat etc!

I can't wait to get out there. Boris - I have had a look at your friend's blog. The photos are superb and there's lots of really handy information about the different set-ups he has used which will make interesting reading.

Again, thanks everyone. Perhaps we'll meet out there but, if not, I do hope to post some pix some time.

Aljie

08-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #35
Forum Member

Location: As I said before, I quit this forum due to people so rude to each other. Bye!
If you want a camera system that can follow you every place then weather resistance like K7 is a must. I've been back from a recent trip to seaside with a tour on a small boat. My K7 got hit with lots of sea water during the trip along with my DA* 16-50mm during picture/movie capture on the boat. Weather sealing is actual help me in this case. I just need to wipe off the seawater and not worry about whether my camera is going to be broken due to seawater/sand/salt.
08-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I like the idea of the K200D, DA18-55mm WR lens, and AA batteries. I took this in Hawaii on a hike while standing under a waterfall. My camera and I got soaked but it never skipped a beat.

Hiking to Waterfalls, Maui | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
08-30-2010, 03:34 AM   #37

Rain, splashes, slime and submerging

The quality of the Pentax sealing on the K-7 body as well as the kit 18-55 WR zoom is built-in insurance against being caught in the rain or a splash of a wave, or in my case, stepping into a hole while wading a river and submerging the camera & lens a good 30cm underwater for some 4-5 seconds as I thrashed my way onto secure footing. The other members of the hike were astounded the camera continued to work. That was months ago and the camera has shrugged off saltwater and fish slime and continues to take great pictures. The only other contender would be an Olympus E-3 and a 14-54 zoom ,but it is bigger, heavier and about 30% more expensive. So as far as I can see, Pentax offers the best bang for the buck on the market.

08-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #38
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ps3737 Quote
The quality of the Pentax sealing on the K-7 body as well as the kit 18-55 WR zoom is built-in insurance against being caught in the rain or a splash of a wave, or in my case, stepping into a hole while wading a river and submerging the camera & lens a good 30cm underwater for some 4-5 seconds as I thrashed my way onto secure footing. The other members of the hike were astounded the camera continued to work. That was months ago and the camera has shrugged off saltwater and fish slime and continues to take great pictures. The only other contender would be an Olympus E-3 and a 14-54 zoom ,but it is bigger, heavier and about 30% more expensive. So as far as I can see, Pentax offers the best bang for the buck on the market.
Wow! That's truly amazing... It was supposed to rain here yesterday during the annual Iron Man event but it never did. I was hoping for a hard down pour just to see how many canikons would run for cover.