Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
New York has become one of the safest and most civilized cities in the WORLD over the past 30 years.
Agreed.

08-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
although nothing can replace losing the images of those precious moments, it is certainly less painful if I lose it along some of my irreplaceable or hard to find gears.
08-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
nah

We were just in Athens in May/June and there are some parts of Plaka at night that were sketchy and we tried to walk as fast as possible through. We came and went through the metro to the airport only.

I would say you were unlucky and wrong place, wrong time type of situation. The other thing is always be aware of your surroundings. I'm always a little paranoid when carrying my camera gear traveling, at any given time you could have $2000-$3000 of gear on you.
08-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, that sucks. This is why I'm such a strong advocate of not just using a Shoulder strap but having a strap long enough to put over your entire upper body. Especially in a strange place. It presents a much more difficult target. I agree though with all assessments of your description, who ever picked a ruckus with your girlfriend was obviously intending to distract you.

Nothing I/we say is going to get your camera or photos back so I'll just wish you better luck on your next trip.

08-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by coorp Quote
Bad thing Never go to Greece

ummm yeah ok... i remember spending several hours in a Polish police station reporting my camera stolen some 10 years ago.

thankfully i got the upgrade to the latest pentax model and new superzoom and being film only lost a couple of shots!
08-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #21

I am so sorry to hear that your camera and card were stolen; what a shame. It sounds like you and your girl escaped being victims of physical violence though, which is very fortunate. I agree with Pentaxor - the woman that did the harassing and the man that did the stealing were most likely working together. Such a waste!
08-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #22

reminds me of the old trick of threading a guitar string though your straps so they are much harder to cut

08-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

FWIW, Pacsafe have a camera strap with a stainless-steel thread running through it, as well as other handy theft-resistant camera gear:
Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products
08-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
.... The other thing is always be aware of your surroundings. I'm always a little paranoid when carrying my camera gear traveling...
i know you probably meant well, but the last thing a victim of a crime wants to hear is your advice about what they did "wrong" or could have done to prevent the situation. please, spare them the lecture as i am sure something valuable was learned from the experience.
08-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When my wife and I traveled we'd always send home our photos every few days along the way. In the film days we'd stop at a 1 hour photos to get two sets of prints, mail one set home. In the digital days we'd get CDROMs made, send the CD home and carry the cartridges. Our photos were too valuable to us to have one copy in our luggage.
08-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
reminds me of the old trick of threading a guitar string though your straps so they are much harder to cut
Now THAT is the kind of advice that makes this forum worth every penny... Oh wait, I forget that this is a free site (if one so chooses...) I need to take up the guitar now
08-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

There are already products available with steel wire already installed.

Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products

Camera Security Straps - Anti-Theft Straps for Cameras

EDIT: One caveat with this is that enraged robbers might try to stab or slash you as revenge once they find that you have such a strap, or so I've heard.

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 08-25-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Did not want to double post
08-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
Ah, thanks for that tip. I was wondering, and trying to imagine just what can be done to prevent someone slicing through your strap and running away with your gear. Who would guess you have a metal wire in the middle of your strap!
08-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

New York has become one of the safest and most civilized cities in the WORLD over the past 30 years. Some people don't want to accept this fact because of past prejudices, but it's simple reality.
That's good to hear. I have a number of close relatives who live there but I haven't visited the city of my birth for quite a few decades. One day, hopefully soon. Given this good news, I won't be intimidated! :ugh:
08-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #30
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
wow. greece sounds bad.
Aren't these thieves afraid people would fight back?