Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
my lovely white k-x stolen in athens

on the last day of our trip through the greece islands and almost 2000 pictures.. someone stole our k-x including fa 35, m 50 and a brand new sigma 10-20. the worst part is really our pictures. i wish i could only get them back.
i had my k-x for almost 1 year and half and loved this camera! i took over 20k pictures with it and only a few where deleted.
i've never used such a great low light capable camera and in combination with the fa 35 i always got tak sharp pictures even wide open.

now i'm back to my aged p&s fuji and i don't know when i can enjoy this level of taking pictures again

for everyone else take care of your camera equipment and never get robbed!

08-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
sad to hear your story. and will sure do take your advice. if I may ask, how did it got stolen?
08-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Veluwe
Posts: 339
So sorry to hear. So sad about your pictures. Did you by any chance have a travel insurance? Indeed hope never to be robbed. Horrible. Wish you well.
08-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
How, where and when was it stolen...just curious as I live here in Athens and walk about with my equipment often. Snatch and grab? Left some place and came back missing? Gunpoint?

Jason

08-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
New Member
VanGogh53's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upper Thomson
Posts: 5
If there is ever a learning lesson in camera being stolen is the SD cards filled with precious memories; which money cannot buy. Loading the pictures up the cloud (eg Photobucket, Picassa etc) is one alternative every now and then. Keep the SD cards separate from your camera bags; whenever possible. Obviously, protect your equipment and buy travel insurance. Carry only the necessary gears during travel. These are our reminders; and we can only hope for the best.

Sorry about your loss, and I do hope you will get over it, and move on.
08-23-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 3
Bad thing Never go to Greece
08-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
QuoteOriginally posted by coorp Quote
Bad thing Never go to Greece
You think equipment being stolen is confined only to Greece? After having traveled through Poland several times in the last 5-6 years, I wouldn't say your immune to it there. I was in Krakow in July with 7 people from one of my groups, someone cut the shoulder strap from her Panasonic superzoom and took it...she never even knew it until she went to reach for moments later and realized there was nothing on the other end.

Can happen anywhere.

Jason
08-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
sad to hear your story. and will sure do take your advice. if I may ask, how did it got stolen?
my girlfriend was queuing to buy tickets. i was waiting a few meters away when the woman behind her started to do something to her. in this moment someone grabbed my shoulder-bag, one of the 3 bags I was carrying. because many of this thieves using razor blades i was only thinking about my girlfriend.
a few hours later another try to rob us in the metro. when i discovered it no one in the metro could help us. we only tried to leave the metro as fast as possible.

the rest of our Greece trip was great. we only had some things to criticize. only athen is of course from experience a really unsafe place and we will avoid to go there ever again.

08-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
How, where and when was it stolen...just curious as I live here in Athens and walk about with my equipment often. Snatch and grab? Left some place and came back missing? Gunpoint?

Jason
it was at the piraeus train station after we arrived with our ferry. i guess the most dangerous place...
08-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VanGogh53 Quote
If there is ever a learning lesson in camera being stolen is the SD cards filled with precious memories; which money cannot buy. Loading the pictures up the cloud (eg Photobucket, Picassa etc) is one alternative every now and then. Keep the SD cards separate from your camera bags; whenever possible. Obviously, protect your equipment and buy travel insurance. Carry only the necessary gears during travel. These are our reminders; and we can only hope for the best.

Sorry about your loss, and I do hope you will get over it, and move on.
exactly this precious memories are priceless. and i even thought in this situation that i would be ok with the loss of my equipment if i only can get back my photos.

Loading pictures up is really an alternative and i'll do this when i can afford another camera.
08-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
QuoteOriginally posted by testlord Quote
it was at the piraeus train station after we arrived with our ferry. i guess the most dangerous place...
Sucks to hear. The ferry port of Piraeus combined with the train station there pretty much put you in ground zero for undesirables. Although Athens is an extremely safe city, actually ranked a the top of safety among European capitals, it does have it's areas where even I don't wander into as an adopted local and a very experienced city resident.

What a shame.

Jason
08-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by testlord Quote
my girlfriend was queuing to buy tickets. i was waiting a few meters away when the woman behind her started to do something to her. in this moment someone grabbed my shoulder-bag, one of the 3 bags I was carrying. because many of this thieves using razor blades i was only thinking about my girlfriend.
a few hours later another try to rob us in the metro. when i discovered it no one in the metro could help us. we only tried to leave the metro as fast as possible.

the rest of our Greece trip was great. we only had some things to criticize. only athen is of course from experience a really unsafe place and we will avoid to go there ever again.
oh my, I never thought Athens could be that dangerous. anyway, I think the woman was a part of that operation. I guess I have to cancel any future plans to go there.
08-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 60
Sorry about your loss. I know that feeling you get in your stomach when you realize you were just stripped. Growing up in NY prepares one pretty well for overseas tactics...as long as you are mindful and aware that they exist (and might be extremely bold) elsewhere.
08-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
QuoteOriginally posted by ShiftR Quote
Growing up in NY prepares one pretty well for overseas tactics...as long as you are mindful and aware that they exist (and might be extremely bold) elsewhere.
Ironically, as an ex New Yorker myself, these kinds of crimes are extremely rare in the 5 boroughs. But having lived there in the dangerous 60s, I get your point about the training that native New Yorkers naturally receive from day to day living.

However, New York is amazingly safe in every regard to crime, both violent and simple theft, and it just has a bad reputation. There are dozens of cities across the world that you would consider "safer" than New York, but it just isn't true.

New York has become one of the safest and most civilized cities in the WORLD over the past 30 years. Some people don't want to accept this fact because of past prejudices, but it's simple reality.
08-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,994
That stinks. We had a Nikon stolen in Rome. I guess the only consolation was that it was at the beginning of our vacation so no photos were lost. And we were able to get a K-m quickly to replace it.

If you don't have travel insurance, see if your homeowner's insurance covers it....
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, fa, k-x, photography, pictures
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Streets Athens morning ikonographics Post Your Photos! 6 11-28-2009 05:09 AM
Sunrise over Athens ikonographics Post Your Photos! 1 04-23-2009 04:46 PM
Greetings from Athens Greece. Theodore41 Welcomes and Introductions 2 01-25-2009 05:25 PM
Hello from Athens, GA! Glasseyebob Welcomes and Introductions 2 01-25-2009 04:46 PM
Hi from Athens, GA Ratmagiclady Welcomes and Introductions 12 11-19-2008 07:20 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top