Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #1

PENTAX K-X NOISE - White and Black Blocks - problem

I have had my pentax k-x for less than 30 days and am disappointed to find that most of the pictures i have taken have white and black blocks in them that look like dead pixels on a tv screen, i cant find any explanation for this.

also sometimes half the picture is even grayed out!!

please advise

regards

Michael

Attached Images

Last edited by mgstaff; 08-23-2010 at 07:30 AM.
08-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried a different sd card? I would try that first to rule out card issues. Dosen't look like dead pixels because they are in different spots in different shots.
08-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

It doesn't look like dead pixels, more like loose dust particles on the sensor. Do a sensor cleaning with a rocket blower and shoot at a clear sky and see if the problem clears. You may have to do this a couple of times. It looks like the internal dust removal system is just moving the dust around.
08-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting.

Have you tried the pixel mapping feature (Menu > Setup > 4 > Pixel Mapping) on p-259 of the manual to see if that helped?

08-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frooggy Quote
Have you tried a different sd card? I would try that first to rule out card issues. Dosen't look like dead pixels because they are in different spots in different shots.
This might be worth a try. Definitely not dead pixels since they are showing up randomly. I don't think dust would reveal itself in the form of straight white lines either! Other than the card, looks as though a warranty repair will likely be in order.
08-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
This might be worth a try. Definitely not dead pixels since they are showing up randomly. I don't think dust would reveal itself in the form of straight white lines either! Other than the card, looks as though a warranty repair will likely be in order.
I've never seen dust show up White either. I cold believe however that it would be straight lines, depending on what it was. If you can return the camera for exchange, I would do so. Otherwise, send it in. It's highly unlikely that it would cause anything like this but are you using some sort of filter?

08-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
I have tried different SD cards, the reason i dont think it is dust and might be a warranty issue is that the specs are fairly consistent in shape and size and even orientation, they are all horizontal, about half an inch and either white or black.

when i get home i'm going to ship her out to the warranty service at pentax..... anyone else think its ridiculous that you have to pay for any amount of shipping involved in a defective camera?

Attached Images

08-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It's probably a rare type of sensor defect (never seen this before). If you send it in they'll definitely replace it.

As for the pictures taken so far that are affected, most of them can probably be fixed with clone tool

Cheers
08-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The good news is that you can clone those spots out so your photos aren't completely useless.

If it were dust, it would be a consistent shape and size. The only thing that would change is how well defined it is based on lens aperture. I may or may not move around the sensor, depending on what you do between exposures. It most definitely would not show up white however.

Yes, I think it's ridiculous to have to pay for shipping but it's unlikely you're going to get around it. I still think you should try for an exchange from the place of purchase and let them deal with it. It isn't as if you've changed your mind about the camera, there is clearly something wrong with it and you've had it less than a month.

08-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Those are some horrible arrows!!
08-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Strange.
Never seen anything like this.
08-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe it is the ghost in the machine trying to send us all a message.
08-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
Forum Member

To me it's obvious. You're watched constantly by either mini-drones of a secret CIA project, or by small cylindric aliens that try to understand what you're doing with a camera.

Please, please forgive my wrong sense of humor... I couln't resist. Seriously you should give this camera to repair.
08-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Oh, cool, I love Tetris!

This is definitely not dust on the sensor. Looks like a sensor defect to me. I remember I think it was Peter Zack who was selling an old DSLR that had the same issue, albeit not to this extent. You'll have to get a warranty return on this, unfortunately.
08-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Forget the lines, you've got arrows all over your photos! Did you see those?

Seriously though, send that in... very strange.