Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #1

K20D overexposure

In the past few weeks that my K20D with Katz Eye focusing screen has begun overexposing by several stops. This happens both my DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL, and my A-series manual-focus lenses, and my M-series manual-focus lenses. (I FWiW, I don't use the "green dot" to determine exposure with M-series lenses; I use the DoF-preview in Manual Exposure mode.) The overexposure seems to be consistent and I need to dial-in two or three stops of negative exposure-compensation or meter in manual-mode to compensate.

My K20D has firmware revision 1.03, and I tend to use the camera in spot-meter mode.

Here's a 2MP sample image (with intact metadata; 1MB) made with the camera in "P" mode with the DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL:

http://mcfaddenphoto.com/temp/K20D_auto_exposure.JPG

Any ideas about what has happened? Is a trip back to Pentax in order?

08-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The chances are the problem is you are having is using spot metering with the Katz Eye screen. The split screen focus in the center is a known problem. Refer to the Katz Eye web site and read their test results. I have one on my K20D also and spot metering is inconsistant to say the least. If you were having good results before, I would suspect you were lucky in the placement of the split screen and it has shifted a miniscule amount. Getting it back to where it was would be trial and error and unreliable.
08-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The above post is bang-on, the katz-eye site even admits to this.

See if center-weighted metering helps.

If anything, that should give you an underexposed image, as the k20d's meter is fairly conservative.
08-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It now a trio...

Spot metering with the Katz Eye (or any other split image screen) is a no-no.

Steve

(Owns the Katz Eye, but seldom uses spot metering)

08-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies about spot-metering and the Katz Eye. I will certainly visit the Katz Eye website and read their test results and I will do some tests with the camera set to use center-weighted metering.
08-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
A set of quick snaps with the camera set to center-weighted metering were properly exposed. I tried both my auto-focus and manual-focus lenses.

I did find the caution on the Katz Eye website against using spot-meter mode. I think I must have seen that before I installed my Katz Eye but I must have forgotten it.

I think you guys have solved my problem--many, many thanks!

William