Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10D solution for shutter release

Hi. I recently suffered a stroke which has left me unable to effectively use my righty arm and hand.

I use a K10D.

Any solutions for me to use the camera? The left hand is fine.....It's just my right hand which is up the-bonzer-creek!

I can still use a tripod or monopod, but pressing down the shutter release has become a nightmare.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 08-07-2017 at 02:03 AM. Reason: remove swearing
08-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote
Hi. I recently suffered a stroke which has left me unable to effectively use my righty arm and hand.

I use a K10D.

Any solutions for me to use the camera? The left hand is fine.....It's just my right hand which is up the-bonzer-creek!

I can still use a tripod or monopod, but pressing down the shutter release has become a nightmare.

Hi Darius,

Sorry to hear about your health problems and hope things improve for you soon.

I use two Pentax accessories with my K10D which might be of some help for you.

The Cable Switch CS-205 (Model # 37248) is a sort of electronic cable release. It plugs into the side of the K10 and you could trip the shutter with your left hand if the camera were mounted on a tripod.

The Remote control F (Model # 37377), as the title suggests, can be used in a similar manner but is not connected to the camera. It could also be triggered using your good hand.

Good luck

Tom G

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 08-07-2017 at 02:04 AM. Reason: remove swearing from quote
08-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks so much, Tom!
08-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Make sure you cover the view finder while using the Remote F or the Cable Switch while mounted in the tripod. Sometimes light mess up the meter a little. I use the remote F and it work from Front and Back of the camera. So it will work if you compose the image and then press the remote button or if you want to take a picture of yourself.

08-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bummer!!!

Along with the CS-205 and Remote F, there's several chinese remotes available on ebay that will allow timed, sequential photos - as in "take 25 photos, 15 sec apart, each 7 sec long" - you get the idea. You can also just take one with 'em, too!

I used one of these for awhile on my *ist DS after the shutter button quit working.

Also, for the tripod - if you don't have one, look for a "video" type head that has one handle that controls tilt and swivel - every one I've seen is "left-handed".

Hang in there!!!
08-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Here is a start...

How to Shoot With Your Left Hand Only Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

Have a look at this and allow me please to play with some stuff. I have something in mind that involves one of those old flash brackets of 1970's vintage coupled with one of the inexpensive shutter releases mentioned above. I'll jump back in when I have something.

woof!
08-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Check out Focalprice.com maybe this can help you. it's a shutter release cable for digital cameras seem okay Take Care

08-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for being so helpful everyone!

Incidentally I'm located in Adelaide, Australia.

Last edited by Darius4522; 08-25-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: adding hometown
09-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple of things I've thought about regarding your situation . . .

1) I have a battery grip, which provides a second shutter release button. I can grip really well and release with my pinky finger or ring finger. If you can get your right hand (even fisted) to give some stability under your lens, this works fairly well.

2) You can hold the camera "upside down" without the grip. This works especially well in portrait mode. In landscape, it's tough, again easier if you can work on using your right arm to get a little stability.

3) You can try triggering the shutter release with your thumb, especially helpful in portrait mode.

4) Weight is going to be a really big issue. Shoot primes, smaller lenses (like my FA 50 1.4) are much easier to manage. Zooms are going to be tough, so might be time to try some primes.

Work hard. Don't give up. Photography may be a blessing for you. You'll get better at taking photos. Neural pathways can still be built, even in adults.
09-02-2010, 02:12 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote

I use a K10D.

Any solutions for me to use the camera? The left hand is fine.....It's just my right hand which is up shit-bonzer-creek!

I can still use a tripod or monopod, but pressing down the shutter release has become a bloody nightmare.
You could attach the optional battery grip and use its shutter release button, holding the camera upside down in your left hand.