Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Time-lapse with a K10D

How do I use a Pentax K10D to do a time-lapse without having to take the photos manually (i.e. I want to secure the camera and let it take photos automatically every few seconds).... Is this possible?

08-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Forum Member

Use an intevallometer like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13891

$34.04 including free shipping!

Or this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19693

$39.90 - a bit more expensive, but seems to have more features.

Last edited by freeload; 08-25-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Linked first to a product without interval function
08-25-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freeload Quote
Use an intevallometer like this: DealExtreme: $34.04 YongNuo TC-C1 Precision Timer Remote Shutter Switch for Canon/Pentax/Samsung DSLR Cameras

$19.24 including free shipping!

Or this one: DealExtreme: $39.90 JJC TM-C LCD Timer Remote Shutter for Canon/Pentax/Contax/Samsung DSLR/SLR Cameras

$39.90 - a bit more expensive, but seems to have more features.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting products.
08-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Am I missing something? When I click on that link, it gives me a price of $34.04.

08-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have one of the 2nd ones pictured. Works as intended although I'm yet to put it to any useful purpose!
08-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you have a computer, you can program some of these intervals using the Pentax Remote Assistant software.
08-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Am I missing something? When I click on that link, it gives me a price of $34.04.
Just a blunder from my side. I first linked to a timed remote - but it was just a delay, not capable of doing interval shooting. I changed the link and the picture...but had forgotten about the price

This is another option for timelapse,HDR and other cool stuff:

I got the parts for this for christmas (I LOVE my wife!). It's capable of doing long timelapses, HDR, long exposures and trigger camera and flash based on input from several different sensors (sound, movement, crossing beam, lightning+++). It took some time to assemble, and the first week the kitchen was a mess as I was playing with food coloring and milk to capture cool drops/splashes...

Last edited by freeload; 08-25-2010 at 11:52 PM.
08-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just a blunder from my side. I first linked to a timed remote - but it was just a delay, not capable of doing interval shooting. I changed the link and the picture...but had forgotten about the price

This is another option for timelapse,HDR and other cool stuff:

I got the parts for this for christmas (I LOVE my wife!). It's capable of doing long timelapses, HDR, long exposures and trigger camera and flash based on input from several different sensors (sound, movement, crossing beam, lightning+++). It took some time to assemble, and the first week the kitchen was a mess as I was playing with food coloring and milk to capture cool drops/splashes...

I've got to say, that looks a bit geeky.

Does it have a box?

08-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been using an intervalometer like the first one pictured for a few month's now. It not only makes taking time lapse photography easier than the built in menu in my K20D, it also makes timed bulb exposures easy. No need to use a stopwatch when I can set the time in the gadget.

What makes getting one easy is that Pentax uses the same remote technology as Canon Rebel cameras. Anything that will work on the Rebel series will also work on the K10D or K20D.
08-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The cheap solution - and not as elegant as the dedicated device - is to use an old programmable graphing calculator like the TI83+/TI84 etc.

There was a discussion about this a few months ago. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/67329-tur...valometer.html

Cheers
08-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the first one also - picked it up about a 2 months ago. Works well, but the only fault I have with it is - it lacks an on/off switch (unless I missed it). So I flip one of the batteries around so that they will not drain when not in use.

08-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
wjt
Veteran Member

freeload if that has a box or brand name/description/part number could you pm me the info. I have to make something for a course i am doing, that looks like what i will be making. Cheers
08-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I have the JJC model, too. My only gripe with it is that the wire in the cable is very fragile. When taking astrophotos one evening, I didn't allow enough slack in the cable and when the mount moved, it stretched the wire, breaking the strands inside the cable.

I moved on to the USB tethered solution via the pentax software since I was already using my laptop to run the autoguider.

When I get around to fixing this device, I'll be putting a coiled cord on it so that this kind of problem doesn't happen again.

A hint: put some velco tape on the device so that you can stick it to stuff.