so is the Tamron 28-75 - very impressive

church at 28mm f2.8

100% crop

08-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
so is the Tamron 28-75 - very impressive
True. We'll have to wait to see what new features actually improve on the K-x. If it's mostly video I don't care. The increase in resolution is pretty small in practical terms.
08-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #3

hope AF is better.. and af lights as minimal ups
08-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
personally, i'm looking for better low-light AF and AFc tracking
so if they improve significantly on the AF, i'm sold.

add an AF assist light would be good too.

08-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i've got the same combo opiedog... couldn't agree more...
but.... i wish pentax would dump the video .. i just don't understand why it's necessary on a dslr... only guessing it's to keep up with the joneses in the marketplace...
perhaps if they ditched the video, but weather sealed the new k-r, did away with the goofy chrome band (which is disintegrating from strap rubbing), and reintroduced focus points, i think they'd be better off.... basically a redesigned k200d, albeit in a k-x size.... dave m
08-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
but.... i wish pentax would dump the video .. i just don't understand why it's necessary on a dslr... only guessing it's to keep up with the joneses in the marketplace...
perhaps if they ditched the video, but weather sealed the new k-r, did away with the goofy chrome band (which is disintegrating from strap rubbing), and reintroduced focus points, i think they'd be better off.... basically a redesigned k200d, albeit in a k-x size.... dave m
dave,

unfortunately, you're right. it's keeping up w/ the jonesses.
no video = no sales. even Sony has now succumbed to marketing pressures and added video to their latest

i don't mind having AF in video as an add on in the kr as long as it doesn't affect the still camera itself.

i think we'll get those focus points back

and please pentax keep those AA's but redesign the battery regulator circuitry

regards,

jordan
08-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I also love my KX. Personally I am glad for video just in case I need to capture an important moment (on video). I can't wait for the Kr's specs. If they made a better KX I know it will be a heck of a camera.

08-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Maybe also some new colors. Neet
08-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Impressive result wide open at f2.8. That lens is meant to be even sharper at f4.
08-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think the K-r is more of a threat to the K-7's sales than to the K-x, which I think will just drop in price and still remain a bargain for the performance. Depending on the specs of the new cameras, though, (for example, if the K-r is not weathersealed) the K-7 and K-x could both still have a place in the camera lineup.
08-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

K-x with 28-75 is impressive indeed optically, but when holding the combo I can't help but think that the 28-75 is meant to mate with the Kx00d series body instead
08-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
i guess you have no idea about why people value using a DSLR for video
or indeed how big the potential market is for DSLR video, at least until the 'professional' video market catches up with the image quality/functionality obtained from an DSLR

in the very near future video will overtake photo as the medium of choice, I guarantee that, photography will still be valid, it will still be something important- but like 'mixtapes' it will become merely nostalgic. If pentax don't do video, there is no future for them
and if they don't do it right, there's a large amount of business to be lost from the people buying canon 550d/7d/5dm2 who will never ever use it for photos

the market for people buying an SLR to use for just video is a lot bigger than you might think

if pentax got the right SLR out there which was comparable to the 5dmk2 for video, marketed the MF glass, shouted about the in body IS and sold its self to student/indie film makers as 5d quality at 550d price with better functionality than both and better lenses then there is a massive market who will buy into pentax

to see video as an afterthought is quite myopic, yes it is keeping up with the jones', but the jones' are the future

and you can't say 'pentax will be like leica', leica have a niche, my dad's friend owns a mercedes CLS, he has a 450d, and also a leica.
Pentax are a minor brand, why would someone buy a pentax?
Of course there are reasons why someone would buy a pentax, but you and I know this because we shoot pentax, we research pentax- local camera shop doesn't have a clue about the k7, they're unlikely to sell one to someone who doesn't come in asking about it specificially

@opiedog- yes sony have put video into their SLR, and they've done a bloody good job of it, as you'd probably expect from their video heritage- pentax on the other hand are yet to release anything with competent video, they have 1 month before I switch

don't get me wrong I love pentax, I love the non standard lenses, the 77ltd, the 50-135- but I need something that will perform how I want it to for video, so unless pentax deliver the goods for video I will likely get a 550/7d, and I'd like to invest in a 645 digital in the future.

Medium format video, mmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by clark; 08-26-2010 at 11:59 AM.
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote

in the very near future video will overtake photo as the medium of choice, I guarantee that, photography will still be valid, it will still be something important- but like 'mixtapes' it will become merely nostalgic.
Of course not:

They're different media, and deliver different things.

Let me guess--you bet the house on Betamax, huh?
08-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
wll
Veteran Member

I'm sure the K-R will be a heck of a camera, and I bet the video is better than the K-X along with the feature set, but the K-X is still one heck of machine and one of my favorites.

I still have two IstDs bodies that I use for work sometimes, these were my go to cameras for concert stuff, they had good high ISO ability for the time (ISO1600 was pretty good), but things have changed.

I have used my K20D for low light stuff and it is a good low light performer, my K-x though blows it out of the water big time.

Looking forward to the next generation.

wll
08-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
Banned

I'm waiting with anticipation for the K-r. But the K-x is hard to beat so far, I've had *istDl, K10,K20 and I like the little K-x the best. Small and easy to use and the performance, especially in high ISO is remarkable. IMHO if Canon or Nikon had made it then it would be considered THE best entry level DSLR ever by the reviewers. I do consider it one of the best ever in value. What do I miss from the other cameras in the K-x? Not the dual dials, not the top LCD, nope, the High ISO performance just yells for TaV...