Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K20D vs K7

i have a K20D and was wondering if any of you had both , if you noticed a major difference between
auto focus speed
low light focusing
high iso clearity

Dave
T&T

08-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auto focus - clearly faster in K-7.
Low light focus - I never really had a problem with the K20D, but K-7 has far superior AF light as opposed to K20D flash assist thing.
High ISO - apparently the K-7 is a tad worse, but I've not noticed really.
08-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Auto focus - clearly faster in K-7.
Low light focus - I never really had a problem with the K20D, but K-7 has far superior AF light as opposed to K20D flash assist thing.
High ISO - apparently the K-7 is a tad worse, but I've not noticed really.
1 - exactly how much is clearly faster in a % scale
2 - looking for a % scale without any assistance from a light or beam, just camera only
3 - sorry to read this

Dave
T&T
08-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is hard to put a number on any of these things. The fact that the K7 has an auto focus assist light definitely helps in certain situations. The auto focus motor turns about the same speed for both cameras, but the K20 just doesn't lock on as fast in lower light. AF-C is not too good on the K20, but seems to be better on the K7 (I think Falk Lumo did a test and found about fifty percent more in focus shots as compared to the K20).

You may find this interesting: Falk Lumo: K-7 and its continuous autofocus -- PART I.

08-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #5

The real advantages of the K-7 are seldom mentioned. What makes me pick my K-7 over the K20D every time I go out is:
- The control panel which gives superior fast control over the settings
- The cDNG format which reduces raw filesize by 1/3
- The smaller size and better grip
Focusing and IQ differences are barely noticeable in comparison.
08-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The auto focus motor turns about the same speed for both cameras,
I recall the K-7 having a stronger, higher RPM focusing motor.
08-26-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The K-7 also has:
- a better viewfinder
- significantly better AF in tungsten light
- significantly better and near perfect metering
- significantly better and near perfect white balance
- in camera distortion correction for DA lenses and FA limiteds
- usable AF-C mode

The K-7 and the K20 use the same sensor - so IQ, noise, etc are going to be fairly similar, but the K-7 is a much snappier machine in almost all other respects.

c[_]

08-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
The K-7 also has:
- a better viewfinder
- significantly better AF in tungsten light
- significantly better and near perfect metering
- significantly better and near perfect white balance
- in camera distortion correction for DA lenses and FA limiteds
- usable AF-C mode

The K-7 and the K20 use the same sensor - so IQ, noise, etc are going to be fairly similar, but the K-7 is a much snappier machine in almost all other respects.

c[_]
Interesting point of view. I have a K10D and then a K20D and it was a great improvement. I never had the chance to use a K-7. I may replace the K10D for a K-7. Do you recommend to try a K-7 before commit to purchase it?
08-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I had k10, k20 and now have both K7 and Kx (yes, call me a fanboy!)...

The K7 is indeed faster. Having both side by side (I sold my K20 to my brother, so tests are easy!), with the same lens (we both have the FA 50) with the cap on, the K7 runs through the AF range in less time than the k20... The motor also has a higher pitch.
It's nothing spectacular, I'd say about 10-20% maybe... But in AF-C it must have an effect and that means more shots in focus, which is the case, as I often do burst of my kids playing around and my K20 never produced as much in-focus shots (not that all shots are in-focus!)...

There is also definitively less focus hunting in difficult lighting, and focus is good under tungsten (no front-focusing).

High iso is a mixed answer... My K20 was suffering from a bad case of purple borders (which can be fixed by the little app by GordonBGood), so I prefer the high-iso shots from my K7, but noise-wise it's about the same, K20 being a little better maybe. Both are beaten into the ground by their new little bro' Kx, anyway...
08-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Inactive Account

The K-x reportedly has significantly better ISO handling (I don't have one, but everyone here says that it is waaaay better), unfortunately it doesn't have: weather sealing, dual dials, top lcd, near silent shutter, battery packs, grip availability, etc., etc. These are usability items that matter - IMO.

Would I recommend a K-7 over a K10?? No brainer. Absolutely I would. I barely used my K10's once I upgraded to the K-7 and in fact loved it so much that I bought two of them and relegated one of my K10's to a 3rd body and sold the other.

c[_]
08-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Not mentioned, for me worth mentioning (I own both a K10D and K-7):
- In camera level
- Auto level
- K-7 art filters
- Size (smaller)
- Ergonomics (it fits much better in my big hands, despite its smaller size)
- Silent shutter
- Faster burst mode

Mentioned, like to re-enforce:
- compressed DNG format! (can contain in file LR modifications)
- Lens corrections
- 1/8000 shutter speed
- Fast access function on display
- So much faster and better AF!
- Dust removal now works!!!

- Bert
08-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #12

I am a long time K20D user. I recently bought a K-7 from B&H and returned it. Yes, the autofocus is about 20% or more faster and a little more accurate , but the K-7 was noisier and a big disappointment, at least to me. You can adjust your settings, but basically the default output was more Canon-like than Pentax. The poorly designed SD card slot was impossible to ignore.

Please keep in mind that some forum members are so loyal to the brand that it sometimes interferes with their critical faculties.

The attractive thing about the K-7 is it's small size and sleek compact design. What a sexy camera! Size and handling are indeed important to many of us.

The the K-7 auto focus is Safox V111+. Same as K20D but with improved algorithms. Pentax obviously needs a totally new autofocus system. I would wait for it.

Last edited by jeff knight; 08-26-2010 at 11:53 AM.
08-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I am a long time K20D user. I recently bought a K-7 from B&H and returned it. Yes, the autofocus is about 20% or more faster and a little more accurate , but the K-7 was noisier and a big disappointment, at least to me. You can adjust your settings, but basically the default output was more Canon-like than Pentax. The poorly designed SD card slot was impossible to ignore.

Please keep in mind that some forum members are so loyal to the brand that it sometimes interferes with their critical faculties.

The attractive thing about the K-7 is it's small size and sleek compact design. What a sexy camera! Size and handling are indeed important to many of us.

The the K-7 auto focus is Safox V111+. Same as K20D but with improved algorithms. Pentax obviously needs a totally new autofocus system. I would wait for it.
[B]i think you made it clear[/B
]i will wait
my first impression when the K7 came out, was to stay out, now i am still convinced to stay out.
what pisses off me off about the K20D is that long pause in low light before you can get focus lock.
last summer i panacked and got a Nikon D90, man that thing ran circles around the K20D. i got the D300s this summer and so i got back the K20D, of which i was considering keeping as a back up, until my daughter who knows not much about photography, welcomed the D90 and said her camera phone focuses faster than that K20D

some time back i wrote on this forum that Pentax is sleeping, it looks as if they still are

Dave
T&T
08-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
[B]i think you made it clear[/B
]i will wait
my first impression when the K7 came out, was to stay out, now i am still convinced to stay out.
what pisses off me off about the K20D is that long pause in low light before you can get focus lock.
last summer i panacked and got a Nikon D90, man that thing ran circles around the K20D. i got the D300s this summer and so i got back the K20D, of which i was considering keeping as a back up, until my daughter who knows not much about photography, welcomed the D90 and said her camera phone focuses faster than that K20D

some time back i wrote on this forum that Pentax is sleeping, it looks as if they still are

Dave
T&T
Dave,

It looks like you waited for the answer you wanted to hear
08-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
In low light, that's primarily because of the absence of a focus assist lamp. The K-7 has this, and is therefore by all accounts much improved in this respect. The only folks sleeping here are those who don't didn't know this, even months after the release of the K-7.