Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
K20d vs K7

Could any of the differences in performance be corrected with programing upgrades?

08-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Dave,

It looks like you waited for the answer you wanted to hear
i had too
i have two great lenses that i do plan on keeping,
just need a good body to couple them onto

Dave
T&T
08-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
In low light, that's primarily because of the absence of a focus assist lamp. The K-7 has this, and is therefore by all accounts much improved in this respect. The only folks sleeping here are those who don't didn't know this, even months after the release of the K-7.
the d90 and the d300s both have a built in focus assist lamp but because i got them with the 17-55/2.8 lens the hood blocks the beam so i since then disabeled the focus assist light. and still the d90 and d300s will lock focus in unbelivible low light just as fast as in broad daylight

Dave
T&T
08-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it is worth, I had a DA*16-50 lens that was worthless on my K20D because the damned camera would consistently return focus lock errors in almost any light. The K7 with the latest firmware build has made the same lens very usable and very reliable. It is the "default" lens on the K-7. That improvement, along with all the advantages noted above, makes this camera a steal at it's current price point.

I like the new color reversal configuration for jpegs as well .... purdy!

germar

08-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
For what it is worth, I had a DA*16-50 lens that was worthless on my K20D because the damned camera would consistently return focus lock errors in almost any light. The K7 with the latest firmware build has made the same lens very usable and very reliable. It is the "default" lens on the K-7. That improvement, along with all the advantages noted above, makes this camera a steal at it's current price point.

I like the new color reversal configuration for jpegs as well .... purdy!

germar
i will have to wait for a try before i buy, i need to know and see for myself.
unfortunately when i go to Florida and i mention Pentax, everyone has a strange look on their face
i am not kidding, a common reply is "they still in business "

Dave
T&T
08-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
Interesting point of view. I have a K10D and then a K20D and it was a great improvement. I never had the chance to use a K-7. I may replace the K10D for a K-7. Do you recommend to try a K-7 before commit to purchase it?
Depends whom you buy it from. If you get a new K-7 from a reputable dealer, you will have between 15-30 days in which you can return the camera, if you do not like it. If you buy a used K-7 from a private seller, you may not have that option.

Rob
08-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Depends whom you buy it from. If you get a new K-7 from a reputable dealer, you will have between 15-30 days in which you can return the camera, if you do not like it. If you buy a used K-7 from a private seller, you may not have that option.

Rob
15-30 days is a joke
to pull that off, i woud have to know someone who is coming down this way and then another person within the 30 day peroid that can take it back up if i was not satisfied.of which i will have to cater at least 2 weeks for it to ship to and from Miami, so know i only have a 2 week opening betwee miami to me and back to miami, haha i think it would be easier to rub salt in my eyes.
then again people in general are not too helpful when asked to do these kind of things.
and as for shipping it to me, Customs would not like anything better, after they finish with you it will cost 3 times as much.

Dave
T&T

08-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

A week or three before the announcement of two new cameras seems the wrong time to make a move. Who knows what goodies will be in the next lineup? If you want a K-7, wait until the price takes a hit because of the new releases.
08-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i since then disabeled the focus assist light. and still the d90 and d300s will lock focus in unbelivible low light just as fast as in broad daylight
I suggest you put a stopwatch to that claim. All sorts of independent tests have been run by objective reviewers that measure AF speed in varying light. either of those cameras has ever proven to be magic in the way you suggest: even *with* the AF assist, they both slow down quite a bit in low light. There's no way turning off the AF assist is going to help with that.
08-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I suggest you put a stopwatch to that claim. All sorts of independent tests have been run by objective reviewers that measure AF speed in varying light. either of those cameras has ever proven to be magic in the way you suggest: even *with* the AF assist, they both slow down quite a bit in low light. There's no way turning off the AF assist is going to help with that.
why i turned off the focus assist light on the D300s is so i could do a side by side comparison between the two systems in the same room using a dimmer switch and turning the switch down little by little to check responciveness.
at the point where the k20 stalls and starts hunting and at least 3 seconds has passed and still no lock, the d300 locks on .
this was not a siencetific test but was enough to convince me that the nikon auto focus system was way superior to the pentax.
my biggest main issue from day one, is constantly hearing from people i am photographing, is "man why you taking so long " and i getting fustrated behind the viewfinder waiting for a focus lock.
when i heard pentax was releasing the k7 i had one on preorder, when it was released i got one from the first batch, it sat at my daughters apartment for 2 weeks, and by the mean time i started reading inputs from those who got theirs and realised that focus was still and issue. so i got my daughter to send it back.
so i am back to square one, 2 great lenses and need a good body to couple it to.

Dave
T&T
08-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Funny, I'm reading the same posts as you, and I primarily see people saying the K-7 is much improved in AF speed, especially in low light. As should be obvious given the AF assist lamp. You must be reading extremely selectively to have come away with the opposite impression.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-28-2010 at 09:32 AM.
08-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

something that needs mentioned in case it matters to anyone, and it does to me and is the reason I am not going to drop $900 on a K7...maybe at $700 but spending about $400 extra after selling my K20D to get an on it's way out the door K7 is not worth it to me, especially right now. Last year I would have bit at around $850 but it never got there though this year it did get near $750.

But the feature it, the K-7, lacks is tethered shooting. While this might not matter to many, it is a feature many took for granted and were disheartened to learn was not supported. And at this point it it's life cycle, it's never coming, heck it's not even breathing hard.

I depended on tethered LiveView shooting with my old Canon gear and miss it a great deal. Used it for product shots and manual focus to either get close of adjust for AF error from what I wanted in focus. The lack of it reduces the utility of the K7 for me a great deal...AF speed is sorta unimportant as 100-200 yr old glassware, jewelry, pottery & such don't tend to be very mobile and fleet-of-foot at this stage in their life. So the K20D is going to be fine for me...and if I am still around when the K-5 price drops I might consider one if it supports tethering.
08-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #28

when i heard pentax was releasing the k7 i had one on preorder, when it was released i got one from the first batch, it sat at my daughters apartment for 2 weeks, and by the mean time i started reading inputs from those who got theirs and realised that focus was still and issue. so i got my daughter to send it back.
so i am back to square one, 2 great lenses and need a good body to couple it to.
I'm currently sitting in my 35m2 livingroom. Light emerges from a 40w bulb, two candles and my 17" laptop screen. It's completely dark outside.

The K7 (1.10 fw) with the 16-50 set the AF lock within 1 sec on every object I do point it at. The K10 can't (painfully slow and often can't lock at all).
Things have improved, honestly.

Still, I would wait until after Photokina before making any decision on a new camera.
08-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
But the feature it, the K-7, lacks is tethered shooting. While this might not matter to many, it is a feature many took for granted and were disheartened to learn was not supported.
What about those WiFi SD cards ?
08-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #30

Dave
T&T
So you have not tested K-7 with latest firmwares ? What lens you did use in your tests ?

I think K-7 is good focusing in low light. I have focus assist on all the time, but K-7 usually does not use it until it is really dim.