Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Question about sending K10D to Pentax for dead pixels

Does anyone have any experience with sending in there DSLR to pentax to have dead/hot pixels mapped out? Ive noticed a few hot/dead pixels lately, one in particular. After doing some night shots earlier ive noticed quite a few more. My camera is only a couple months old so this bothers me and ive decided that i want to send it in and have those dead pixels mapped out.... If anyone has sent there in... How long did it take, did warranty cover all cost (other than shipping)? Do I need to send examples of the hot/dead pixels, or anything else I need to know or do before I do this? Any info from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated!

08-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am going to be sending my k100d as well... everything is covered under warranty. In my case, even shipping. Problem is it's gonna take 2-3 months till I get it back. They didn't ask me for any sample pics to show them, they just asked me to list down all my concerns, they'll send it to Japan, they'll address the concerns as well as clean it up, then ship it back...
08-28-2007, 12:26 AM   #3

leadbelly, are you in the USA?

If so, we send it to Colorado. I have a K10D in for service...it takes about 2-3 weeks.
08-28-2007, 12:26 AM   #4

leadbelly, are you in the USA?

If so, we send it to Colorado. I have a K10D in for service...it takes about 2-3 weeks.

08-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i talked to my nearest service center and they said to mail it to pentax, im going to do that in the next couple days.... i have one last dumb question, i only need to send the body right? lol...
08-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leadbelly is in the Phillipines so he has less access to service. No reason to send in the lens. I'd take everything off the camera including the strap so you get it back the same as you sent it (albeit fixed).
pentaxbling are you seeing all this only in night shots? Do you shoot with the noise reduction on? I read recently that you have to shoot dark/night shots that have longer exposures with the NR turned on so that the camera will create a "dark frame" and map out then remove any digital noise and hot spots created by the long exposure. This is normal for any DSLR. It's why the camera takes a long time to complete the long exposure shots (after you release the shutter) and you can't turn the camera off while it's doing this or you will see these hot spots in your pictures. Just a thought but you may not have a problem at all. Check your noise reduction setting.
08-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yep, I'm in the Philippines... kinda weird having to send it to Japan for repairs since most Pentax cameras are made here... if only I knew someone on the inside of the Pentax plant here...

08-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
<snip>Do you shoot with the noise reduction on? I read recently that you have to shoot dark/night shots that have longer exposures with the NR turned on so that the camera will create a "dark frame" and map out then remove any digital noise and hot spots created by the long exposure.<snip>
Yep, Ive done test shots with NR on and off, with it off its even worse, but even with it on there are still visable dead pixels... I boxed up my K10D tonight, it will ship out tommrow... im gonna miss it! But ill be happy to have it back without the dead pixels thanks for the input everyone, this is by far the most helpful forum ive ever been a part of!

Last edited by pentaxbling; 08-29-2007 at 08:58 PM.
11-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Forum Member

I just discovered this problem with my camera ---- did sending the camera in fix the problem?
11-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Forum Member

what's a good way to test for dead/hot pixels

I discovered a few stuck/hot pixels on my brand-new K100D. The shots were taken indoors without flash, but not too dim - ISO800, F2.0@1/250s.
The noise reduction was turned ON.

Once I noticed the hot pixels, I took some black test shots with the lens cover on with long exposure (maybe 1-2 secs). The result - no hot pixels.
Then I turned OFF the noise reduction and retested - hot pixels showed.

Is there an "correct" way to test for dead/hot pixels?

regards,
Stan
11-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Guys, hot pixels are digital camera reality.

Unless you start notice dead/stuck/hot pixels in normal photos (short exposures) don't worry about that. Turning noise reduction off and doing long exposures with lens cap on will definitely give you a lot of hot pixels. This will happen with all cameras. And the older camera will be the more such pixels you'll have.

When I bought my first DSLR (*ist DS) I also was worried about hot pixels did those long exposure lens-cap test and so on. Also was horrified by finding so much hot pixels. However those hot pixels didn't appear on regular photos, so I didn't send my camera for repair and happily used my camera for almost a year (until I upgraded to K10D) and haven't seen any of hot pixels in my regular pictures...

Don't be busy with measurbating and looking for problems with your camera. When you really have a problem, you will notice it in regular pictures.

So, it's your choice: look for problems and send your camera for repair every month (new hot pixels definitely will appear again and again) or just use your camera without looking for problems all that time instead of being without camera for most of the time
11-07-2007, 05:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Guys, hot pixels are digital camera reality.
Yes, well, Olympus has an in-camera option to automatically map them out (even in some of their point & shoot cameras). So for some people it's less of a reality than for us. Pentax can map them out too, but they have to do it in the factory. That's legitimately annoying.
11-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hot pixels only show up in JPEG images. Best way around it is to shoot RAW.
11-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
Forum Member

I figured it out !

As you said, these are "hot", not stuck pixels.

The noise reduction on K100D works on speeds slower than 1/4sec. by doing a black frame subtraction.
If the shutter speed is faster than 1/4sec, no noise reduction is performed regardless of the setting.

This explains why I got hot pixels in normal shooting at high ISO, but didn't get any in the 1sec. test shot.

I don't think the RAW vs. jpeg makes a difference, except that raw file processing software may (and it does) have better algorithms for chroma noise filtering.
11-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Some raw software can also use a dark frame to map out hot pixels.