Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Using flash at wedding

I start shooting weddings.I have Pentax K200D and K7 and flash Metz 48 but i didn't understand how to eliminate shadows under bright light conditions in the daytime. I can do this but i get photos without any volume.They are simply flat!

Maybe someone can give me some tips how to eliminate shadows using a flash?It would be great if you can also show some examples.

Thanks.
Sorry for my english.

08-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there.
In situations of a bright background and shaded subjects, the use of fill flash (using HSS mode on your flash) is the most useful, and shouldn't produce harsh shadows since there is no dark background for the shadow to be cast upon.

If you're talking about an indoor setting with a bright background close to the subjects, like a bright wall, then yes, front (axial) flash will produce shadows, but bounced flash (off a ceiling or nearby wall) should not. There is also the option of taking the flash off the camera and firing it wirelessly through a diffuser, like an umbrella, or angled into a broad bright surface, just like in bounced flash, to get a similar effect with more texture.

Hope this helps.
08-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k-sw Quote
I start shooting weddings.I have Pentax K200D and K7 and flash Metz 48 but i didn't understand how to eliminate shadows under bright light conditions in the daytime. I can do this but i get photos without any volume.They are simply flat!

Maybe someone can give me some tips how to eliminate shadows using a flash?It would be great if you can also show some examples.

Thanks.
Sorry for my english.
When you say volume do you mean depth of field or bokeh?

I'm guessing your max shutter speeds are 1/180 since that's the limit when using flash, which will close up your aperture a lot making everything in focus, you'd need a flash with HSS to control depth of field I believe
08-26-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Here is a great website on using flash from a wedding photographer. You will need to read closely to understand which techniques apply to you based on the equipment you have.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

Good luck.

Tim

08-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is a great website on using flash from a wedding photographer. You will need to read closely to understand which techniques apply to you based on the equipment you have.

Good luck.

Tim
Tim, thanks for the link. This will also help me with my son pictures in a sunny day.
08-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote

Good luck.

Tim
Thanks for the link to that site. That and the strobist sites are the best I've seen on the 'net for introducing a photographer to flash.
08-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
bump!
Any more advices?

08-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can turn down the power of the flash too if it is over powering. As others have said, using HSS and allowing the shutter speed to go over 1/180 second is really useful if you want to shoot at f4 in the middle of the day.

Something else to look into would be using a reflector. Any kid who is handy can hold it and it makes a huge difference in getting rid of shadows on people's faces. I like silver, but gold can be quite warming if you like that look.
08-31-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k-sw Quote
bump!
Any more advices?
Really, I'd say look at that site linked above. That is just a terrific introduction to flash that would be hard to improve upon.