Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kinsale Quote

so what say you guys? K-x, K-r, A55?
There is a good chance that the K-5 will have the same sensor as the A55...

Just mentioning that because you might have the best of both worlds... same rugged build of your k100d, best in pentax tech, and the same high quality sensor as the A55.

However if they made a rugged version of the K-x (a K-X super?) I would dump my k20d and buy it in a second. Not sure how important that is to you ... the K-X seems like a very nice camera in all respects, and the price of it should drop after the K-r hits the market.

08-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
I would buy a K-X over a K-R, the price difference is huge, the feature set is nearly the same...

I got my K-X from compusa for $460 shipped. I just dont see how a K-R is worth $800 -- for that money i would of went canon T2i or a comparable nikon.

For the record I am voting for "wait and see" Staying with pentax is very logical so you guys can share some quality lenses.
08-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All of the preceding guidance offered here is good regarding the potential new models and associated costs.

I think you have to balance that with what new photography you'll lose out on by waiting to act. September is a fine month for shooting. Any camera you are considering will be superior to what you have. Plus only one of you will be with decent camera I assume.

Life's too short.

M
08-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
My feeling on this is akin to the old Ferrari statement..."If you have to ask, you can't afford it." If you have to ask whether to change cameras/systems, you probably don't need it. I don't mean to be flippant, but the reality is that when someone really DOES need the advantages offered by a different system/camera/format, it's usually very readily apparent. I've seen both sides of the coin on numerous occasions and those folks who really did need a different system/camera/lens/format didn't hesitate. They simply made the switch without any fanfare. Why?...because they NEEDED it! When it's a need, not a want, the decision becomes a no-brainer.
I understand you don't mean to be flippant. Like i said I am not a professional photographer, nor an advanced photographer. However one does not always know what one will need in the near or distant future. I do not have the experience or knowledge that some of you have. Hence my need to ask. Hey maybe you're right, maybe all the advanced features will be wasted on me. I'll take that chance.

08-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I would buy a K-X over a K-R, the price difference is huge, the feature set is nearly the same...

I got my K-X from compusa for $460 shipped. I just dont see how a K-R is worth $800 -- for that money i would of went canon T2i or a comparable nikon.

For the record I am voting for "wait and see" Staying with pentax is very logical so you guys can share some quality lenses.
My thoughts exactly. If I was going to pay for a K-r it seems something like the T2i may offer a better overall feature set. I'm still hoping that the K-r video features will be good enough. I saw a test of the A55 video autofocus and it was very impressive.
08-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kinsale Quote
I'm still hoping that the K-r video features will be good enough. I saw a test of the A55 video autofocus and it was very impressive.

If video is the determining factor for you, I would definitely hold off on making a decision for a few months to see what's coming with the new Pentax cameras. If Pentax doesn't improve...eh, you haven't really lost much because it's a safe bet that Sony won't be backing up in their video capabilities. But if Pentax DOES improve their video, you could save yourself some cash by not having to replace lenses. That's not what I'd tell your wife, though. I say, "Look how much money I saved, honey! Now I can use that to buy some REALLY good glass! And you can use it, too."
08-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
All of the preceding guidance offered here is good regarding the potential new models and associated costs.

I think you have to balance that with what new photography you'll lose out on by waiting to act. September is a fine month for shooting. Any camera you are considering will be superior to what you have. Plus only one of you will be with decent camera I assume.

Life's too short.

M
when it comes to other purchases I usually feel the same way, that there is always something around the corner and you need to be happy now. I'm just not advanced enough as a photographer to make an informed decision hence why I am hesitating. I'm so tempted to buy a K-x

08-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
buy the K-x and use the difference in cash to buy better glass. The K-x already takes wonderful images and getting better glass will always make the body better.

Of course the canon 60D might be of interest as well...

But whatever system you decide to stick with or move to...it's the lense which make the difference. As you learn and get better, if you have great glass it will help make your improvement even more obvious...a different body, eh, not so much. As an example, I don't really like my K20D, seriously it just does not handle well in my hands at all, my Canons were far better fits for me, but I really like the lense setup I have and the color and images make me happy.

And by buying better glass I feel I can get more significant results thanks to spending extra on glass compared to a K-7...as in I can grow with these lenses, the body, well it's just the delivery system for the what the lense sees.