Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

New Pentax or move on?

I am planning to give my wife my K100D. She used it recently on a trip and fell in love with it. Took some great pictures too.

So... what should i buy for myself. Wait and see what the K-r is like or just buy a k-x now? Why have some cameras been announced Canon and sony in particular but not Pentax? Why the big mystery?

my head has also been turned by the A55. i like the idea of having capable video as well. I am not a pro just a consumer and will probably never realize the full potential of a DSLR. I am a typical consumer.

I like the IS being in camera with Pentax and Sony. Sony I would have to buy new lenses, not sure if they are expensive. I have a few lenses for the Pentax that I could share with my wife.

so what say you guys? K-x, K-r, A55?

08-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would definitely vote wait, it will be less than a month to find out what is in store - a new entry level will likely drive down the price of the K-x once announced as well. This is probably the primary reason new camera announcements are held as long as possible by Pentax - since they are a small brand they need to hold their forthcoming product close to the vest in order to not affect current sales (which is obviously a double edged sword!).

I agree the A55 is definitely an interesting offering from Sony. If you already have a handful of lenses to use with Pentax, there isn't much reason to end up running 2 systems, it will just creat overlap and limit the funds you have to spend on additional lenses down the road (if you are so inclined).
08-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since you already have some Pentax lenses I would definitely stay with Pentax (also I hear from people that Sony lenses are good but no where near as good as the better Pentax lenses).

So the Kr or the Kx. Well if speculation is right the Kr will have a price tag of about $800 and when that comes out the Kx should drop in price. Now this is all speculation but if I were you I would wait until the Kr comes out, see if the Kx drops in $ and then decide whether you want to spend the extra 3,400 for the Kr or get a Kx.
08-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Inactive Account

NY yankee fans used to say "just wait till next year"
for pentax fans, say "just wait till next week"

some folks in this forum who have priviledged information say 1st week of september

i'd wait for the official kr announcement. if the added features don't interest you, get a kx

08-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would not assume that the K-X will drop.

Street prices will reflect what the market will accept, based on the capabilities of the K-X and the competition. Pentax does not set those prices. Their only lever is to withdraw the K-X from the market. They will do that but I don't think it will be until next year.

So a USD $800 K-R would not conflict (much) with a $500 K-X unless the K-R simply wasn't much more attractive. I think we can rule that out.

A $200-$300 difference between models sounds about right to me. We see that elsewhere. I'd assume that will be the case until proven otherwise.

I still suggest you wait - I don't think K-X prices will immediately rise so your risk is probably small. I just wouldn't count on a significant drop.
08-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #6

Patience and slow, careful deliberation always pays off in this game. As you are in New Hampshire and possibly buy online,
I would suggest you wait awhile for the new Pentax cameras, put an SD card in your pocket, and train down to Boston to do some tests.

Don't want to sound like a fortune cookie, but waiting may benefit you in unexpected ways.
08-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with others. A55 is very attractive. However, if you have already Pentax lenses it will be a good idea to buy another Pentax. This way you can convince your wife to purchase that LBA lens that you really want by telling her that you can share . Sony takes all Minolta Maxxum lenses and there is still some good deals out there.

08-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
You guys are all so sensible! I agree it makes sense to wait as well. I feel like a kid with money burning a hole in my pocket. It's very hard to wait and see.

While the Sony is tempting and has some nice features I too like the idea of staying with Pentax. I just wish they were more forthcoming with details. It would make things easier. My sister in law has the K-x, on my advice. I like it a lot.
I know video is meant to be secondary and it is but I really like the idea of using my lenses to shoot video as well. Pentax is clearly behind in this regard. Am I too 'consumer' for this brand?
08-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What lenses do you already have for Pentax apart from the kit lens? If what you're trying to do is more doable in another brand and your investment in pentax *is* replaceable, it might make sense to switch.

But at the end of the day, it seems like you liked your K100d, so be it K-r or K-x, I'm sure you'll like it as well

Cheers
08-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't have a lot of lenses. I have the kit lens, a 300mm zoom (Tamron), a 50mm 1.4 manual and a 135mm prime. So it's not too much to replace. But yeah i do like my K100D a lot. It's what I learned on so it's comfortable.
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Banned

Well I should wait just a little time.

Last week I had the sony Nex 5 for an evening. There are some parts of it to find in your listing a55. Boy is that a slow camera. I wouldn't buy it unless you never take pictures in a burst.
08-27-2010, 03:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that both of the cameras that Pentax announces next will have capable video. I think they may end up being better performers in the still department than the A55. Seems like the light loss is going to really negatively impact its high iso performance.
08-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My feeling on this is akin to the old Ferrari statement..."If you have to ask, you can't afford it." If you have to ask whether to change cameras/systems, you probably don't need it. I don't mean to be flippant, but the reality is that when someone really DOES need the advantages offered by a different system/camera/format, it's usually very readily apparent. I've seen both sides of the coin on numerous occasions and those folks who really did need a different system/camera/lens/format didn't hesitate. They simply made the switch without any fanfare. Why?...because they NEEDED it! When it's a need, not a want, the decision becomes a no-brainer.
08-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I'm still with the K10d - reliable and rugged - and I'd be quite happy to stick with it (with better lenses) but I'm wondering why the Pentax 55mm DA f/1.4 would cost me nearly $1000 here in Canada (probably $800 is the US) while a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 would cost less than $400 (and I saw a Nikon f/1.7 50mm for under $200 in a shop the other day). Almost seems like the Printer mentality - cheap printer, exorbitant ink. Or Razors, where replacement blades cost double the razor itself.

And, really, I've found nothing about the K20, K200, K-x, K-m, K7 (did I miss any?) that makes me want to part with any money. They're all good, in their ways, but..... not quite enough. Only when Pentax comes up with a Full Frame camera to match, say, the Nikon D700, will I bother looking again.
08-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While the newest, latest, greatest camera will soon be out, expect to pay a premium price. Most likely you will pay MSRP and the discounters will be just a few dollars under. The Kx is selling for a very good price right now and probably won't go much lower. If Pentax is on the verge of releasing some new models as some rumors suggest, then judging from the recent past, the Kx will probably disappear quickly. Unlike Canon and Nikon, Pentax doesn't have huge stocks of unsold cameras that discounters can offer as "super deals" for a couple of years after they were produced. As you mentioned being "just a consumer", then the Kx should do all that you want with the capability to do more advanced stuff. You already have lenses so you save there. Many reviewers consider the Kx the best entry level camera on the market presently. An upcoming new model may or may not as good.