Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Which blue artifacts?

I didn't want to do ETTR here, as then I would hear some say, use a lower iso, these were all taken at EV 0
sorry, I meant the blue noise which is not uncommon at higher ISOs.

no problem if you didn't do ETTR, you still got some very good results. I mentioned ETTR since it would make the image look a lot better or let's say look more plasticky.

08-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
sorry, I meant the blue noise which is not uncommon at higher ISOs.

no problem if you didn't do ETTR, you still got some very good results. I mentioned ETTR since it would make the image look a lot better or let's say look more plasticky.
Oh! I see what you mean. I thought there were some noise that appeared blue not blue channel noise...the reason I asked was to see where it is, as when I posted some high iso shots earlier, someone pointed out some banding which I hadn't seen and it was a great learning experience, was wondering whether this could be another learning opportunity.

Thanks though.

Also, just checked and LR3 has a significant chroma NR in default, but as it doesn't affect IQ, it's ok, but that is obviously reflected in the cleaner image here as well.
08-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Great shots(all of them).
Goes to show what can be accomplished with a good shooting method!

PS. It might be the JPG translation, but it looks as though there is NR(in camera?) at 100%
08-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Excellent series, enjoyed them all!

08-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Christ dude! those photos are terrible, full of noise and shutter blur! I can't even see the mans pupils clearly! you need a FF or APS-H Pentax! :P

Great shots!

I ditto your comment on firmware 1.10, it definitely improved High ISO performance to a degree.
08-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Great shots(all of them).
Goes to show what can be accomplished with a good shooting method!

PS. It might be the JPG translation, but it looks as though there is NR(in camera?) at 100%
John, it has to be the default LR3 NR (which there certainly is a significant amount for chroma). I can't look at an image and tell NR yet, but that's porbably what you are seeing. Shot at iso 3200 there is definitely in-camera NR even with RAW (as Gordon Good ?, had discovered) and you could be seeing that as well.

John, there is no such thing as a 'good shooting method' here, just point and shoot (shot in RAW in Tv mode, EV0 and opened in LR3 and saved as jpegs, that's it)...you must be mistaking me for someone else
08-28-2010, 04:31 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Excellent series, enjoyed them all!
Ivoire, Thank you!....I bet you are hoping Pentax will announce some new long glasses at photokina, hah!

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Christ dude! those photos are terrible, full of noise and shutter blur! I can't even see the mans pupils clearly! you need a FF or APS-H Pentax! :P

Great shots!

I ditto your comment on firmware 1.10, it definitely improved High ISO performance to a degree.
Noise, shutter blur, unable to take any sharp shots, yup! that pretty much sums us Pentax, right....ROFLOL.

Thanks, dude!

Last edited by pcarfan; 08-28-2010 at 04:39 AM.
08-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Ivoire, Thank you!....I bet you are hoping Pentax will announce some new long glasses at photokina, hah!
i'm still looking for a sharp, affordable 500mm. the dream is alive

08-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Thanks a lot, now I feel the need for one of them Limited jobs.
I used to be happy with my smc a 50-1.7`s
08-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
i'm still looking for a sharp, affordable 500mm. the dream is alive
I hope it becomes a reality, I need one of them real bad as well

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Thanks a lot, now I feel the need for one of them Limited jobs.
I used to be happy with my smc a 50-1.7`s
A 50/1.7 is one sweet lens, yeah! the limiteds would offer a bit more, but you are not leaving much on the table with that amazing A50/1.7.
08-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Impressive. I've avoided anything above 1600 till now. This encourages me to give something higher a try.

Thanks for sharing.
08-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Impressive. I've avoided anything above 1600 till now. This encourages me to give something higher a try.

Thanks for sharing.
Well! it could be used in a pinch, but high iso can never be iso 100 or 200 which IMO are the only iso's that is suitable when things like ultimate IQ matter in large prints or if cropping is needed. All this talk of high iso pefromance is all about which one does a less shitty job. I'll take iso 50 over nicer iso 6400 any day. So, don't get your hopes high, but for relatively small prints these high iso's are fine!
08-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Well! it could be used in a pinch, but high iso can never be iso 100 or 200 which IMO are the only iso's that is suitable when things like ultimate IQ matter in large prints or if cropping is needed. All this talk of high iso pefromance is all about which one does a less shitty job. I'll take iso 50 over nicer iso 6400 any day. So, don't get your hopes high, but for relatively small prints these high iso's are fine!
I guess this statement is true.

until such time when ISO 6400 is as good as ISO 100, then I'll be on cloud 9 by then.

*although for small prints and small viewing pleasure, HIGH ISO is fine as you said.
08-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Also, just checked and LR3 has a significant chroma NR in default...
Do you know that it is your choice how much chroma NR LR applies per default?

Just chose an amount you like in the Develop module and then press the "Alt" key ("Option" on a Mac). The bottom right button will change into "Set Default...". Press this one and, voilą, you've got a new default NR setting.

With the correct preference setting the "Develop module default settings" can be different per ISO value (and/or camera). Very useful.

BTW, #5 from the original series was my favourite. Perhaps because it looked the most real and didn't contain a "Canon" face.