Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 iso 3200 images: No NR, yet the faces look plastic. (11 images)

Shot these today in RAW and opened in LR and saved as jpeg. No post processing what so ever, not even cropping.

The faces look plastic, what do you all think ?

Link to DPR thread where the images can be enlarged more (Exif is intact there...damn flickr)
ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

08-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your error in processing

I found your mistake: when you open in LR, there is always processing. Defaults, at least, are always applied.

That's OK, we've all been rookies and made rookie mistakes.

Unfortunately, you're unfamiliar with LR and have chosen (I think) the "Museum of the Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB" preset. It does create odd effects but it also permits the fine photos to show through.

Arggg. Wish I were there again. Would be our third or fourth visit but first with decent photo gear. Thanks for sharing!
08-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I found your mistake: when you open in LR, there is always processing. Defaults, at least, are always applied.

That's OK, we've all been rookies and made rookie mistakes.

Unfortunately, you're unfamiliar with LR and have chosen (I think) the "Museum of the Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB" preset. It does create odd effects but it also permits the fine photos to show through.

Arggg. Wish I were there again. Would be our third or fourth visit but first with decent photo gear. Thanks for sharing!
I am aware of the default NR in Lightroom, it doesn't bother me

Thank you for your compliments.

P.S: It's only a 20 minute drive for me ...been there countless times.
08-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately with some people no matter how hard you try they are always look uncomfortable and stiff in front of the camera.

Great color and detail though, the lighting in these kinds of places is not always the best for taking pictures, these are really rich. Thanks for sharing.

Wright-Patt is some place I have always wanted to check out, anyone ever been to the National Naval Aviation in Pensacola? Definitely worth a look if you are ever near there.

08-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
Unfortunately with some people no matter how hard you try they are always look uncomfortable and stiff in front of the camera.

Great color and detail though, the lighting in these kinds of places is not always the best for taking pictures, these are really rich. Thanks for sharing.

Wright-Patt is some place I have always wanted to check out, anyone ever been to the National Naval Aviation in Pensacola? Definitely worth a look if you are ever near there.

Thanks...the lighting is atrocious there. Over the past few visits I've learned the place more and more.

Wright-Patt is pretty cool, hope they can get the space shuttle as well......Thanks for the National naval aviation idea, if I am anywhere near Pensacola, will swing by.
08-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Shot these today in RAW and opened in LR and saved as jpeg. No post processing what so ever, not even cropping. [/url]
ISO 3200 and no PP? I wish my K-x was as clean as that!
08-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are very good.
Closest I have is Air and Space in DC, 1.5hr. Parking can be challenging.

Cheers, Mike.

08-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
ISO 3200 and no PP? I wish my K-x was as clean as that!
Yeah! sure....stop kidding

P.S: I think K-7 fimware 1.10 helps with the noise in the dark shadows as it looks better now, and also I am using LR3, which may have a more fine tuned default NR for the K-7 ????? but, still K-x's got a good advantage with iso

Last edited by pcarfan; 08-26-2010 at 04:07 PM.
08-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Those are very good.

Cheers, Mike.
Thank you...I've got to make it to DC one day soon, but when I do, I will use the shuttle (heard is the best way)
08-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, shuttle "tram" or just pack light and walk. You could spend a day at each museum.
Anyhow, your shots are really good.

Cheers, Mike.
08-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Plastic skin tones... must have been shot with a Canon. At least Canon DSLRs focus quickly in dark environments.
08-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, shuttle "tram" or just pack light and walk. You could spend a day at each museum.
Anyhow, your shots are really good.

Cheers, Mike.
Mike,

Thank you.
08-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Plastic skin tones... must have been shot with a Canon. At least Canon DSLRs focus quickly in dark environments.
The faces have the Canon Jpeg look for sure

Didn't have any problems with focus lock, fast enough and 100% accurate. I saw the green AF assist light a few times, but Canon would have saved me 1/10th of a second for each shot, and I took a bit over 200 images and that would have saved me a little over 20 sec....the subjects weren't going anywhere ....Besides the Fa 31 limited has no peers
08-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Those are very good.

Cheers, Mike.
Air and Space is one of the "must sees", I really want to get to the Smithsonian Air and Space Annex at Washington-Dulles. They have several aircraft I would love to see in person, including SR-71, Concorde and Enola Gay.
08-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You must be mistaken about the camera used.

Its been scientifcally proven that the K-7 is incapable of taking low-noise High ISO, accurately focused and non-blurry photos.

Anyway, the photos are really excellent