Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done Sanjeevan.
These images are quite decent at this resolution.

08-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
You must be mistaken about the camera used.

Its been scientifcally proven that the K-7 is incapable of taking low-noise High ISO, accurately focused and non-blurry photos.

Anyway, the photos are really excellent
Agree with that - I cant get past 800 with my k-7.
Maybe my copy is bad or - Maybe K7 designers did not want to exceed ASA 400 film
08-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
aside from the blue artifacts that result from shooting at such high sensitivity level, I would say that the noise control is pretty impressive. ETTR would make a world of difference between a noisy and a not-so-noisy image.
08-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Its been scientifcally proven that the K-7 is incapable of taking low-noise High ISO, accurately focused and non-blurry photos.

which scientists?

08-27-2010, 03:47 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice. I love Wright Pat Air Force Museum -- I lived in Dayton for 7 years, but haven't been back recently. I really think it goes to show that you can make any camera look bad or good, depending on how you use it. If you under expose shots like that and then try to bring them up in post, they would tend to look bad and need quite a bit of noise reduction, but these look great (other than the stiffness on your subjects, you really need to try to get them to relax more during a photo shoot).
08-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, those faces (and hands) sure look stiff, they must be camera shy.

I agree with the posters that the Air and Space Annex out at Washington Dulles is well worth a visit. They offer shuttles from Air and Space on the mall out if you are really patient you can take public transit. I think I had something like four transfers from Metro and bus to get from my hotel Crystal City out there but it was so worth the trip!!!
08-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Yeah! I had to check it twice myself, and to my shock it still says Pentax, go figure!

08-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well done Sanjeevan.
These images are quite decent at this resolution.
Ash, the DPR link I provided below will show even a much higher resolution image (not 100% though) and it stays clean even at that res......you may want to check it out.
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
aside from the blue artifacts that result from shooting at such high sensitivity level, I would say that the noise control is pretty impressive. ETTR would make a world of difference between a noisy and a not-so-noisy image.
Which blue artifacts?

I didn't want to do ETTR here, as then I would hear some say, use a lower iso, these were all taken at EV 0
08-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Very nice. I love Wright Pat Air Force Museum -- I lived in Dayton for 7 years, but haven't been back recently. I really think it goes to show that you can make any camera look bad or good, depending on how you use it. If you under expose shots like that and then try to bring them up in post, they would tend to look bad and need quite a bit of noise reduction, but these look great (other than the stiffness on your subjects, you really need to try to get them to relax more during a photo shoot).
Thanks...I've been to the place so many times, it is not even that special to me any more. I've always taken shots of aircraft and trying to avoid these manickens, and trying to get the whole aircraft with a wide angle lens as well. This time I took the shots of figures and parts of aircraft, which turned out to be very enjoyable......
08-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jon in SC Quote
Yep, those faces (and hands) sure look stiff, they must be camera shy.

I agree with the posters that the Air and Space Annex out at Washington Dulles is well worth a visit. They offer shuttles from Air and Space on the mall out if you are really patient you can take public transit. I think I had something like four transfers from Metro and bus to get from my hotel Crystal City out there but it was so worth the trip!!!

Good to know it was worth it.....another must see museum then, when I eventually make it there.
08-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Very nice shots! Not sure how you pulled them off, but nice!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Very nice shots! Not sure how you pulled them off, but nice!
No, secrets here. Took the shot in Tv mode at iso3200, EV 0. Shot in PEF raw with K-7 (firmware 1.10) using the FA 31/1.8 limited.

Opened the RAW files in Lightroom 3 (64 bit) and then saved as jpeg HQ Jpegs (so default NR only). Uploaded to Flickr in full res and shared smaller files here.

If someone wants to look into this more, and tell me how to send RAW files, I can gladly do so for a couple of shots.

I will shortly share some that were taken with the DA 15/F4 for comparison, as the FA 31 makes everything looks nice
08-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DA 15 at iso 3200

08-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
100% crop of one of the images.