Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used Pentax bodies exclusively since 1961. I have tried non Pentax branded glass on them from time to time on my Pentax bodies, based on price for apparent value (Kiron, Sigma, etc.), and just was not satisfied with them (my opinion only!!!) and now use only Pentax equipment. That is my personal preference. I don't "love" Pentax in the sense referred to above, but I am satisfied with my equipment. It does the job, and I have never seen an advantage of any other brand that would persuade me to spend the money to switch. I have been able, as an advanced amateur, to use my old equipment and gradually change over to the new, with minimal loss of functionality, and an easy load on my pocket book. Would I start with Pentax today? I don't know. I got into Pentax because of a good deal in a pawn shop on a used one. It does the job. My 30 year old 400 earned me a sale to Parks Canada this week. I occasionally forget to do the metering thing, but this time I did remember. Judging by experience trying out a 170-500 AF lens from Sigma, the focus was much better manually, so advancing to an AF lens for what I shoot is not much gain.

One old fart's opinion.