Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

I love Pentax

I guess we all do, since we're on PentaxForums.com.

I love where the company is focusing its attentions, and that makes me hold on to my battered *ist D. I'm happy that as an APS-C shooter, I have the choice of fast zooms (16-50,50-150), and also f4 zooms (16-45,17-70,12-24 etc), and a large array of primes. Super telephoto and a tele converter are the only things lacking for Pentax's APS-C lineup.

I am happy to see new bodies at lower prices in comparison to the competition. I love that they are small and light, offer weathersealing and shake reduction.

The only place I would want to see improvement is the AF performance, especially in low light.

08-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love my 1970's primes that give my pro friend's lenses that cost 5 times as much a run for their money.
08-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
5 times as much? im using an SMC M 50mm F1.4 and paid $71 for it shipped. My co-workers canon 5d mark ii 50mm prime lens was over $1500...

thats 20x+... I won't say mine is better, but its not 20x worse thats for sure.
08-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Geeeee.... I love my Nikon... Although the body was a bit less expensive than a used K7... it performs much better.... especially in the AF-speed department.... in fact I went through 2 of these, one used and one brand new... both performed flawlessly out of the box... as oppose to K7...I had to go through 3 copies to get one with a decently working AF-system... And by the way, Nikon's AF-D 50 f1.4 sells for about 50$ less than most Penax FA 50 f1.4 go in classifieds... which, b.t.w I sold in favor of the Nikon's AF-D 35 f2... which sells in average for 150$ less than the Penax FA 35 f2 sells... And I also have the Nikon's 85 f1.8 which sells for less than a half of what people usually pay for the 77Ltd... and I'm more than happy with it.... and I also have a couple of Nikon's SB600 flashguns.... these, b.t.w. go for about 100$ less than the Pentax FGZ540 and they work beautifully no matter on camera or wireless... etc.... etc.... etc....

Sorry... just couldn't resist throwing some salt into another apples vs oranges thread....

Last edited by alexeyga; 08-27-2010 at 06:31 PM.
08-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

No one loves you.
08-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What nikon model do you have and can you use stop down metering with it and also use all the old glass. The reason i ask was because i had a d3000 just a big point and shoot to me. Can;t aford the d300s or d700 to do that good old style shooting my kd100 is always in manual mode but I'm use to to the old school way
08-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Forum Member

So, it appears I'm not the only one that feels Pentax has been losing its pricing advantage over the past 2 years, especially with respect to lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Geeeee.... I love my Nikon... Although the body was a bit less expensive than a used K7... it performs much better.... especially in the AF-speed department.... in fact I went through 2 of these, one used and one brand new... both performed flawlessly out of the box... as oppose to K7...I had to go through 3 copies to get one with a decently working AF-system... And by the way, Nikon's AF-D 50 f1.4 sells for about 50$ less than most Penax FA 50 f1.4 go in classifieds... which, b.t.w I sold in favor of the Nikon's AF-D 35 f2... which sells in average for 150$ less than the Penax FA 35 f2 sells... And I also have the Nikon's 85 f1.8 which sells for less than a half of what people usually pay for the 77Ltd... and I'm more than happy with it.... and I also have a couple of Nikon's SB600 flashguns.... these, b.t.w. go for about 100$ less than the Pentax FGZ540 and they work beautifully no matter on camera or wireless... etc.... etc.... etc....

Sorry... just couldn't resist throwing some salt into another apples vs oranges thread....
08-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Geeeee.... I love my Nikon...

Sorry you didn't like your K-7, both mine were flawless out of the box. We all know that there are certain qualities, such a managing bad weather that Pentax does better than Canon or Nikon. I would hate to take a Nikon out on a hike or camping.

Regarding the price advantage, perhaps....but Pentax glass should be priced on demand and quality. I really don't know why people are so desperate to grasp onto Pentax as the second cousin of the camera business, especially when all Canon's and Nikon's SLRs originate from the Pentax AP.

Last edited by SteveM; 08-27-2010 at 10:57 PM.
08-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Oro

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love Pentax because:

1) It is what I learned film photography on starting about 1980. (I took a long sabbatical from SLRs from c.1992 to about 2006 - woke up like Rip Van Winkle as I explained before).
2) They invented SLRs and the modern camera, basically.
3) I have a box of old glass I can now stick on my DSLR and take great pictures (I was stupid to use zooms the last few years).
4) They aren't a monolithic corporate giant.
5) I like being loyal to a company that serves its passionate customers.
6) Glass.
7) Glass.
and lastly,
8) Glass -- oodles of quality, cheap glass.
4) The look, feel, and handle great.
08-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #10

everybody likes pentax until going to best buy and see Nikon 50mm f/1.8 for $139
08-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh by the way my daughter shoots the KX and at x.mas time the K7 will be here when I wake up and still useing that old glass. each camera has it's ups and downs depends what you use it for but all the brands are good don't wanna start a war saying this is better than that like kids in a playground
08-28-2010, 04:03 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
We all know that there are certain qualities, such a managing bad weather that Pentax does better than Canon or Nikon. I would hate to take a Nikon out on a hike or camping.

7D #1 Weather Sealing
I used to think the same
until I saw this
08-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hal_a Quote
I guess we all do, since we're on PentaxForums.com.

I love where the company is focusing its attentions, and that makes me hold on to my battered *ist D. I'm happy that as an APS-C shooter, I have the choice of fast zooms (16-50,50-150), and also f4 zooms (16-45,17-70,12-24 etc), and a large array of primes. Super telephoto and a tele converter are the only things lacking for Pentax's APS-C lineup.

I am happy to see new bodies at lower prices in comparison to the competition. I love that they are small and light, offer weathersealing and shake reduction.

The only place I would want to see improvement is the AF performance, especially in low light.

I absolutely agree with you here....I love my Pentax as well, what a company, hah!....not perfect, but at this time certainly the best choice out there for me as well.
08-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
What nikon model do you have and can you use stop down metering with it and also use all the old glass. The reason i ask was because i had a d3000 just a big point and shoot to me. Can;t aford the d300s or d700 to do that good old style shooting my kd100 is always in manual mode but I'm use to to the old school way
That's a huge pot of salt into the Nikon camp... Something I don't like either... However, if you're into old glass, D200 and D2(h/s/x) bodies are getting very affordable these days and they meter beautifully with all AIS glass. In A-mode you just use the aperture ring the same way you'd set the aperture with the body's dial... And B.T.W. there's some great MF glass in F mount... Having gone through a couple of AIS lenses, i've sold them all as I simply need the AF speed...

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Sorry you didn't like your K-7, both mine were flawless out of the box. We all know that there are certain qualities, such a managing bad weather that Pentax does better than Canon or Nikon. I would hate to take a Nikon out on a hike or camping.
Somebody ALWAYS brings up the weather sealing argument....

I still haven't figured out what a weather sealed body is good for if most lenses (LTD primes for instance) you use with it aren't? And how come if both body and lens are weather sealed, you get dust under the rear LCD cover? Had that with both K10d and K7...

B.t.w. Nowadays all higher end Nikon's bodies and lenses are weather sealed... Had used both 17-55 and 70-200, these have seals all around... even the 70-300VR has seals, although it's a dust sucker...

Here's a reality... if a weather sealed lens is extending when zoomed... it will still get some dust and humidity in it as the air it's pushing around when extended or retracted has to come from somewhere....

B.t.w. Went hiking with a non-weather sealed body and a non-weather sealed lenses... somehow it's still alive, even after a pouring rain.... and it didn't get any dustier.... and camera gods haven't send lightnings into me for such awful sinning....

Last edited by alexeyga; 08-28-2010 at 06:14 AM.
08-28-2010, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

It's always good to have different perspectives. To my mind some of your points have merit and others do not.

1. Nikon bodies might "perform" better in terms of AF, or they might not. This is a matter of some debate. Certainly earlier Pentax bodies were deficient in AF, however. Those cheaper Nikon bodies of which you speak are larger, heavier, lack WR and in-body SR and so are notably inferior to the K-7 in my estimation.

2. The Nikon fast 50 might be good but the Pentax one is better in terms of IQ, and has been acknowledged as such in many independent reviews. However, the difference would be small and of no interest to most shooters. Every major brand has a good fast 50.

3. Comparing any lens from Nikon to the Pentax Limiteds is pointless, since none have the build and workmanship of the Limiteds. If I owned Nikon I'd have to get a Zeiss lens to have something comparable... and then lose AF.

4. The Nikon flash system is second to none, but most serious users go full manual, in which case any old lens is fine and third-party flash triggers are essential to get full flexibility. For more automation there's the Metz-58 which has every feature under the sun.

I would buy Nikon for full-frame but not APS-C.