Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #31
Forum Member

I find that the sensor has far more capability than most lenses. In otherwords the lens is probably the weak link in you quest to get super clean and sharp shots that look great at full resolution. The other thing is shooting in raw format. The camera's jpg conversion process is not nearly as powerful as Photoshop's. Shoot raw and convert as part of your workflow.

When I first got my istDS I was not happy with the quality of the photos. They were not as sharp and clean as those that came out of my wives 5mp Oly P&S. I noticed the the penatax jpgs file sizes were much smaller than those from the Oly. That was my clue that the in-camera Pentax conversion process was inferior. Shooting raw made a huge diffrence.

Then I got a Pentax fa50mm f1.4. This lens is known for being super sharp at f4 and above. It made another huge diffrence in the quality of the final images.

09-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KennJ Quote
One of the best things you can do for your development as several folks have allready mentioned is to buy a TRIPOD or MONOPOD and use it. I think it has been left to the side by many people who tell themselves that they can get just as good of a shot without one but in truth you will become a better more thoughtfull photographer in the long run if you learn to stabilise you camera, compose your shot and than shoot. Even shooting wildlife or backpacking/hiking photography allows the incorporation of a monopod or light tripod for best results.It seems like a hastle and even feels like you are missing shots at first but once you get a method down you will be glad you have incorporated a tripod into your operation.
Kenn
I agree with the above 100%, however I was on a backpacking trip last weekend and forgot my tripod plate.... I was forced to handhold at low shutter speeds. (1/8, 1/6 second) I got very good results with proper hand holding techniques. The tripod would have helped but working on good hand holding techniques can save you in a pinch.
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #33

(nt)

for reference
09-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #34

re: WMBP's suggestions for stabilizing the shot.

My sister is a novice to photography and takes mostly pictures of birds. I spent some time with her showing how to "Pan" the camera with a moving object (bird) to achieve the sharpest results. Mind you she has a much better camera than mine (canon rebel xti and pricey IS zoom) but panning still makes a difference. It is a natural technique for someone who has shot skeet or trap, but foreign to most others. I also taught her how to use her camera cary strap to add some tension to her arm when shooting, that has the effect of stabilizing the image a bit also.