Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #1

Small piece of dust while viewing through the Viewfinder

While viewing through the Viewfinder I was able to see a small piece of dust through, I did not want to return it and also I did not have enough time to take it to service, so I took the risk (I know it's not the best or more professional solution) and I removed the Body Mount Cover and using a Compressed Gas Duster I blow it away, I think the piece of dust was in one of the mirrors. Is it safe to do this to clean the mirrors ?, or is better a more professional treatment at a photo shop ?, I know maybe I did wrong, but it was only 1 time

08-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

"I know maybe I did wrong, but it was only 1 time "

Said Jack the Ripper about his first victim.

Mickey
08-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was the result of your cleaning?

08-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #4

Original Poster
Problem solved, do you know if what I did was too bad and can cause other collateral damages ?, thanks

08-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the camera still works, you didn't damage it. But I'd be reluctant to repeat the experiment. It's quite easy to make it worse rather than better, and to damage the focus screen in the process. Viewfinder dust is a fact of life with DSLR's - see the many, many, many previous threads on the topic.
08-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I wouldn't have worried about dust. I have a lot of dirt in the viewfinders of all my slrs. Once I even had a tiny insect crawling across the screen. Hopefully it didn't find anything to eat in there - or worse yet reproduce - and has since moved on.

Paul
08-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

DON'T use compressed gas to clean inside your camera. The gas canister may contain oily residue from the compressor used to fill it; this could get blown out with the gas and onto your mirror, etc.

08-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
It's working fine, good I did not cause more problems
08-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
Attached are some hand held test's shoots (Green Mode - fully Auto) I took with the camera (K-7 and the 100mm Macro WR).

Based on my super basic photography knowledge and experience, I think they are OK, what do you think ?

Somebody mentioned potential problems with the focus system after what I did, I think for hand held pictures with a macro lens, the focus is fine, experts opinion ?

http://picasaweb.google.com/Logicito/TestMacroPhotos?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPnuNXv2...eat=directlink

Thanks a lot

Last edited by brosen; 08-28-2010 at 11:34 AM.
08-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account

It's hard to go wrong with that lens, believe me, I've tried. Your photos look fine as far as focus is concerned.

08-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's hard to go wrong with that lens, believe me, I've tried. Your photos look fine as far as focus is concerned.

So you don't think I've created a permanent damage to the camera ?, thanks
08-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
So you don't think I've created a permanent damage to the camera ?, thanks
From what I can see in the small picasa pictures, no. In spite of what many will tell you, these cameras are actually pretty tough and will stand Some abuse. There are a few here who even use the canned air to clean their sensors. That is against general advice on the subject but they swear by it. If a blast of air had hurt anything, you would know it. Let your camera autofocus on something (like your plants) and check the viewfinder. If what you see is in focus, you're likely good to go. If the photos look focused, you're good to go. Just put that wonderful lens on, and go out and snap some more photos. Worry about damage when it actually happens.

Here's some from my same combo..

Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 WR - a set on Flickr

08-28-2010, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
WOW, your pictures are really good, I am a beginner

I just did what you said, took some pictures to test the AF system, after pressing the shutter half way, focus was OK in the Viewfinder and after that focus was also OK in the photos as well (checked in a big monitor 24 inch), so I will assume I am safe with the camera, no damage was created.

I have added more photos at the end, please check attached link:

Picasa Web Albums - Family Album - Test Macro Ph...
08-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Thank you. I'm still a bit of a beginner too, with macros anyway.. There are people around here who get a lot more out of their macro setups than I do.

Macro Photography - PentaxForums.com