Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #1

Pentax *ist DS - K110D and others

Hello, I'm going to buy my very first DSLR camera and I'm on a really tight budget.
I found on Amazon to buy a Pentax *ist DS marked as new (and I was curious since it seems to be an old camera). But I tried to find some decent quality cameras for less then U$400 (with lens) and I just found Nikon D3000 as an alternative (but refurbished). I also found a used K110D but I'm not sure about that since it's important to me to have an invoice and I prefer it to be "as new".
So my question is, does it still worth to buy a Pentax *ist DS since most comments about it date from 2005 or should I just look for a more recent camera?

08-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DS is a fine camera, although no SR (on the K110D, either). Between those two, the DS is *much* superior. But the K-x - ith SR, and better in almost every other way too - is available brand new for only barely more than $400. That's where I'd be looking.
08-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! I could find some K-x for less then U$500. I will see if I can afford it, I would like to have a decent camera to start.
08-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anderson_santos Quote
I also found a used K110D but I'm not sure about that since it's important to me to have an invoice and I prefer it to be "as new".
For a first DSLR, you can get a used istDS or K110D for around $150 on eBay. Or, even a K100D with shake reduction for just a little more.

After using it awhile, you can determine your actual needs and then upgrade to a newer more expensive model. You can often resell the used model for as much as you had originally paid.

This method surely reduces buyer's remorse.

08-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks tom, it certainly could be a great option but I live in Brazil and I'm going for a trip in US, so I unfortunately have to buy a more "definitive" one. I thought I could get an older and more affordable model that could do the trick, but i think that shake reduction is a must since most of my photos are usually blurred, so I hope that a K-x don't give me any remorse =)
08-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have seen some K10D with lens go for under $400 on ebay.
08-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anderson_santos Quote
I thought I could get an older and more affordable model that could do the trick, but i think that shake reduction is a must since most of my photos are usually blurred.
There is a K100D with shake reduction here at the Marketplace for only $150.