Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-7 debug mode - how to enter

Does anyone have the definitive word on this using the most recent firmware please? And, does it allow you to correct the horizon settings?

Cheers

08-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I know, if you're loaded with later than 1.01, you cannot enter debug mode (or there is no script on Pentax-hack.com for doing so).. I guess you could try it and see if it works. You might be able to backdate somehow..

Debug mode

08-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff. modset.474 still works with 1.10.
08-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The only reason I know to go in the debug menu of the K100D is for AF fine adjustment, but the K-7 has this as an official feature.

So what's the motivation to go into the K-7's debug menu? Just curious.

08-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The only reason I know to go in the debug menu of the K100D is for AF fine adjustment, but the K-7 has this as an official feature.

So what's the motivation to go into the K-7's debug menu? Just curious.
The first thing that comes to my mind is if you need AF adjustment farther than what is supplied by the "public" AF adjustment function.

I recently noticed that my F50/1.7 still front-focuses with the maximum adjustment of -10, so I am considering the use of the debug mode to put the camera's "zero mark" at -10 and readjust my lenses from there..
08-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was looking for a way to a) tweak the alignment on the automatic horizon which is a few degrees off and b) switch off DFS in B at >30s.

But, I've since spoken to RiceHigh, who unfortunately tells me that former is apparently a hardware fix and the latter isn't fixable as far as he knows.

It's also useful as a way to exceed the maximum public FF and BF amount in there, but I havn't needed this (yet!).
08-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i thought that name was on the ban list around here?

09-01-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I was looking for a way to a) tweak the alignment on the automatic horizon which is a few degrees off and b) switch off DFS in B at >30s.
Thanks for letting me know.

But, I've since spoken to RiceHigh, who unfortunately tells me that former is apparently a hardware fix and the latter isn't fixable as far as he knows.
He's probably right, but in general I wouldn't regard him as a very trustworthy source when it comes to Pentax.
09-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shrug. He might have gotten himself banned from here for whatever reason (I think? Before my time), imo doesn't make him a persona non grata though. Basically I mailed someone unknown who had put films of the debug menu on youtube, and subsequently found out it was him.
09-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He's banned over at the other forum but not here. He just chooses (I guess) not to participate. At least, according to his profile, he isn't banned.

09-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As I recall, Ricehigh had a habit of starting threads which consisted of one sentence and a link to his blog. He simply wanted to drive traffic to his blog. He was heavily criticized for doing this, and it was suggested to him that if he had something to say, he should just say it in a post rather than link to his blog. This made him unhappy, apparently, and so he banned himself.
09-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Shrug. He might have gotten himself banned from here for whatever reason
As MPrince mentioned he isn't banned but after having received a suspension for repeatedly posting links to his blog, he withdrew from the forum himself.

imo doesn't make him a persona non grata though.
I fully agree. He actually knows a lot about Pentax products and sometimes made good contributions. The problem with him is that ultimately any participation on his behalf was/is geared at bashing Pentax only.

He had some customer-service trouble with Pentax in the past and since then he made it his goal in life to hurt Pentax. I'm not kidding. How he pretends to care for Pentax only to use any unfair means to slam it, is quite sad really.

That's why I mentioned he may not be very reliable. If he says something bad about Pentax it could be true or it could just be part of his agenda.
01-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
As MPrince mentioned he isn't banned but after having received a suspension for repeatedly posting links to his blog, he withdrew from the forum himself.

I fully agree. He actually knows a lot about Pentax products and sometimes made good contributions. The problem with him is that ultimately any participation on his behalf was/is geared at bashing Pentax only.

He had some customer-service trouble with Pentax in the past and since then he made it his goal in life to hurt Pentax. I'm not kidding. How he pretends to care for Pentax only to use any unfair means to slam it, is quite sad really.

That's why I mentioned he may not be very reliable. If he says something bad about Pentax it could be true or it could just be part of his agenda.
I just got off the phone with Pentax and the Rrrrrrrgh name. I asked for instructions on getting my K-7 into DeBug mode and they refused to help me, claimed stupidity nd suggested I contact their repair shop, which I did. After ringing through a cycle and then no tone it rang again and the operator informed me that they do repairs and don't tell people how to do them! Anyone want some poorly supported Pentax equipment??? I have had Pentax since 1966 but I'll be damn if I buy any more!
01-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onebeachbumm Quote
I asked for instructions on getting my K-7 into DeBug mode and they refused to help me
The debug mode is not intended for regular users. It is intended to be used by technicians only.

There are ways to enter debug mode on the K-7 (either use PKtether or use the MODSET file approach) but you should not expect any official to give you advice about this.

QuoteOriginally posted by onebeachbumm Quote
Anyone want some poorly supported Pentax equipment???
Your case really is not an example for poor support.

Anyhow, what do you want to achieve in the service menu?
Do you have a lens that needs more AF adjustment than the camera normally supports?
Unless your other lenses are off into the same direction as well to some extent, I wouldn't use the service menu to address this problem. It would be better to have the lens serviced.

EDIT: I noticed by reading a different post of yours that you needed the debug mode to convert a lens from SDM to screw drive AF. Congrats on getting it done, but you really cannot be mad with Pentax that they did not help you with this 100% unsupported endeavour.

Last edited by Class A; 01-13-2015 at 02:27 PM.
01-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #15

Perhaps... NO SUPPORT? After spending 2 days trying to understand half written instructions and eventually gathering all the facts except how to get in DeBug mode so that I could disable the SDM I called Ricoh for the answer and they could not/would not provide it. They could have offered to sell / provide a maintenance manual so I could look it up myself, but they didn't. They claimed stupidity as their excuse... no one knows that, you have to contact the people that we contract to do our repairs. If you have the manual and would like to share it, share it and when we screw it up, we can pay you to correct the problem. If I have the manual, I can figure it out. I know I will not buy another SDM lens.

---------- Post added 01-13-15 at 07:57 PM ----------

I have had Pentax since 1966 and have warn a few out, but never had a problem until this SDM / DeBug issue. I currently have 6 Pentax cameras. Two 35mm film and 4 digital and always felt proud of my equipment but never have I experienced such poor a corporate attitude since Ricoh took over. Oh well, it works and that was the goal so I am happy and my solution is still there for the 16-50 SMC DA* with the Broken SDM drive. It worked for me and I feel it will work for you. Thanks for all the Hackers that were willing to share their information.