Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

the only reason to get a new camera is if you don't have a properly working one already

08-31-2010, 06:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Mike, you are definitely bringing out the K100D magic. No need to switch to a different camera. Not at all.

If I ever switch from my K100D to another one it is because I may succumb to an electronic spirit level but in terms of IQ the K100D is just fine as long one doesn't want to print too large, crop too much, or want too much ISO, or too high a frame-rate shooting with RAW, or faster AF, or two wheels. Phew, the list grew quite a bit but, honestly, the K100D is fine for what I do and it definitely sings in your hands.
08-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it ain't broken, don't fix it...

I also think that if you are satisfied with your gear, there is no need to change anything. Just keep shooting and enjoying both the process and the results...
08-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

All I see that you posted is freaking nice.

And if you were able to accomplish these shots, you have to know that an upgraded Pentax isn't going to change a thing.

However, if you were trying to shoot a jazz band in available light at a high ISO, that's a different story. The K-x would leave your camera in the dust, as will the new models.

09-01-2010, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First of all, I want to thank everyone for their kind words about my shots, but I stress that my intention was not a fishing-for-compliments thread.

I simply wanted advice on whether a newer camera body alone would significantly increase the quality of the type of shots I posted, and you've overwhelmingly agreed that it's not just in a higher megapixel body.

I am a "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" kind of guy, but I think we all get tempted by G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) every now and then.

I still want a K-7 body, but for now, I'll take the time to sit back and think at length as to which piece of equipment could really make a difference in producing better photos.

Again, thank you all for your intelligent and informative responses.

I do appreciate it.

Mike
09-02-2010, 05:30 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
I still want a K-7 body, but for now, I'll take the time to sit back and think at length as to which piece of equipment could really make a difference in producing better photos.
A book on photography? But you don't seem to need one.
Perhaps a lens?
Lighting gear can make a big difference.

BTW, what software did you use to process your images?

I'd love a K-7 too in general, but never was a huge fan of its colours "out of the box" whereas the K100D has a nice palette, AFAIC. With software like Lightroom is has become a bit a matter of setting the "camera calibration" to one's taste, but I still have a weak spot for sensors/cameras who produce nice tones out of the box.
09-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter

"but I still have a weak spot for sensors/cameras who produce nice tones out of the box."
Me too and that is what K100D does well.
09-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mike - to be honest with you, between 3 bodies I have, K100D is still my favorite, I love the image quality right out of the camera with no fuzz of any kind. And if my little brother didn't "borrow" it as often as he does - it would likely be the one to be used the most...

Regards,
D

09-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Mike - to be honest with you, between 3 bodies I have, K100D is still my favorite, I love the image quality right out of the camera with no fuzz of any kind.
Interesting to hear that from someone with access to higher-spec'ed models. I was never quite sure to what extent imagination played a role in my judgement...

I'm glad the K-5 has a Sony sensor again and I keep my fingers pressed that early image samples will have a wow factor that I was missing with the early K-7 samples. I'm a bit apprehensive because the firmware plays a big role and it might be that Pentax have changed their aesthetics deliberately to some extent. We'll see.
09-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

BTW, what software did you use to process your images?
Class A, I upload my images using the Pentax software that came with the camera.

I then dump each new folder into "My Pictures," and upload the ones I want to post on various sites to Photobucket.

I use the editing software at Photobucket, which from what I understand is a mini version of Photoshop.

The functions I use the most are:

1.) Saturation, to boost colors sometimes.
2.) Borders, to subdue a bright frame edge.
3.) Fresco - this works great on architecture, horrible on people.

That's about it. I don't have photoshop, but plan to get some version of it someday.

Can anybody recommend a version of it or something similar now?

Thanks for asking.

Mike
09-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
That's about it. I don't have photoshop, but plan to get some version of it someday.
Thanks a lot for the info on the image processing.

If you are looking into PP software, I used Picasa for a long time. It is limited in what it offers but features non-destructive editing and it is surprising how far one can get with the tools available.

The reason I got away from it was that I wanted to have the option to do local adjustments (e.g,. brighten just a face, not the whole image).

I was sold on Lightroom when I saw this "Adjustment Brush Tip Extravaganza" by Matt Kloskowski (who has tons of more useful videos on his site. You have to dig for them a little bit, probably easiest to look for them on iTunes, they are all free).

Lightroom is much cheaper than Photoshop and geared towards photographers rather than graphic artists. Lightroom gives you a lot of controls and stunning sharpening and noise control results. Have a look at the tutorials by Julianne Kost. If you are overwhelmed by the offering of videos, you could pick the "What's new in..." videos for Lightroom 2.0 and 3.0.

I wish Lightroom had better code quality, but they are working on that, the current 3.2 version is heaps better than the 3.0 and was a free upgrade.

I also wish it had better support for cloning/healing/patching. Currently the spot removal tool has to be abused if you want to clone out things and while it works fine for picture elements that are circular such as small skin blemishes, it sucks for larger elements with other shapes, such as twigs or powerlines. These require a whole string of spot removal tool applications. You could also tackle these with an external editor (such as Photoshop or GIMP), but that breaks the nice non-destructive workflow of Lightroom.

Hope that helps.

P.S.: GIMP is a free alternative to Photoshop. Very powerful (it had content-aware fill before Photoshop got it) but currently still limited to 8-bit images and some find it hard to use. If you are shooting RAW, the URF RAW plugin for GIMP handles K100D .PEF files.

Last edited by Class A; 09-02-2010 at 11:31 PM.
09-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are reasons to get new cameras, but they primarily have to do with increased cropping ability, improved auto focus, better controls, sealed body. If you are taking photos of non moving objects, architecture on a tripod then a lot of the benefits are probably wasted.
I wouldn't confine the K100D to immovable objects
Pete