Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 17-70 - hood for polariser ?

Just bought the Sigma 17-70 & delighted with it. Only slight negative is that I can't use a polariser with the hood in place, has anyone come across an alternative hood which will enable the use of the polariser ?

thanks

simon

08-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
Just bought the Sigma 17-70 & delighted with it. Only slight negative is that I can't use a polariser with the hood in place, has anyone come across an alternative hood which will enable the use of the polariser ?
I have the same issue, but the build is so good on the hood, I'm contemplating just taking a dremel tool and cutting a square hole in the bottom to let me adjust the CPL -- much like the pentax hood.

!c
08-29-2007, 02:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I just recently spent over two weeks with my Hoya Pro 1 Polarizer on my Sigma 17-70 with the hood on. Probably over 2000 photos (3700 in three weeks - Polarizer about 2/3 of the time). I had no problem reaching in, with one or two fingers, to the knurled front bezel of the filter to rotate the filter, around the hood. I could judge the effect by looking at the unblocked (by my hand/finger) sky. You just need to maintain about the same angle with the sun while you adjust the filter as you will have when you recompose and take the shot.
Brian
08-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replies - think I'll go with the "modification" option to make life a little easier

simon