Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #1

pentax k-m a little help needed

Hello,

Just got my Pentax K-M DSLR this week which is great!

However a little help needed. I have read the manual from front to back. But somehow I have managed to switch off the preview in the LCD.

I have pressed every button and gone through all menus, any help on how to get the preview back in the LCD would be great!!

08-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The option is in the custom function menu- scan for any setting that's not currently set to '1' and you'll be bound to find it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's not clear what "preview" you mean. If you are referring to the digital DOF preview - a button you press that takes a sample picture but doesn't save it, so you can judge depth of field - there is presumably some button for that, but I don't know what. But I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be thinking your camera has "live view" - a live constantly-updating preview of what you are shooting. If so, you are misremembering - this camera does not have live view (nor do most DSLR's produced before a year or two go). One of the *major* advantages of a DSLR over a P&S is that you can compose by looking through the viewfinder and not have to rely on the inferior LCD method.
08-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Digital Preview is on pg 119 of the manual. If your question is about the status screen, try pressing the INFO button and see if that solves your issue.

08-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Preview like with a point and shoot? where you see your image on the screen before you take it?
08-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deeps_10 Quote
Hello,

Just got my Pentax K-M DSLR this week which is great!

However a little help needed. I have read the manual from front to back. But somehow I have managed to switch off the preview in the LCD.

I have pressed every button and gone through all menus, any help on how to get the preview back in the LCD would be great!!

Page 222 of the manuel tells you how to set "Instant preview": menu -> Rec mode 2 -> Instant Review -> Display Time -> set whatever seconds you want.
08-31-2010, 01:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Preview like with a point and shoot? where you see your image on the screen before you take it?

yes preview like point and shoot, but going by marc sabatella's post you can't do this ?
08-31-2010, 01:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's not clear what "preview" you mean. If you are referring to the digital DOF preview - a button you press that takes a sample picture but doesn't save it, so you can judge depth of field - there is presumably some button for that, but I don't know what. But I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be thinking your camera has "live view" - a live constantly-updating preview of what you are shooting. If so, you are misremembering - this camera does not have live view (nor do most DSLR's produced before a year or two go). One of the *major* advantages of a DSLR over a P&S is that you can compose by looking through the viewfinder and not have to rely on the inferior LCD method.

thanks for the info marc. I thought the camera did have a "live view" option like a point and shoot.

I took camera off my brother who was using it the first couple of days and he said he was using a live view, but he must have flicked a setting to turn it off

08-31-2010, 05:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

No I'm sorry there is no live view preview on the K-m

QuoteQuote:
Note that the Pentax K-m does not have any form of Live View mode, and the K200D's Digital Preview setting has also not made it down to the K-m.
Source: Pentax K-m Review - PhotographyBLOG

I'm wondering what your brother meant, or if you are not using a K-m but rather a Kx?
08-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Inactive Account

No I'm sorry there is no live view preview on the K-m

I'm wondering what your brother meant, or if you are not using a K-m but rather a Kx?
QuoteOriginally posted by deeps_10 Quote
thanks for the info marc. I thought the camera did have a "live view" option like a point and shoot.

I took camera off my brother who was using it the first couple of days and he said he was using a live view, but he must have flicked a setting to turn it off
Either Retro is correct (you are using a Kx) or your brother doesn't know what 'live view' is.

Technically though, all you have to do to get a live view on Any SLR, is to look through the viewfinder .

09-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

"the K200D's Digital Preview setting has also not made it down to the K-m"

Just a note: K-m does have Digital Preview. What it doesn't have is Optical Preview.