Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slinco Quote
That result looks about like my K-7's RAW output before any sharpening is done. It's got a fairly strong anti-aliasing filter, and therefore everything is quite soft right out of the camera. Sharpening is very necessary with the K-7, as opposed to some other cameras (your friend's, perhaps) that need it less.
well, the numbers are arbitrary, but Bibble sets the sharpening to 100 out of 400. Then sensitivity at 10 out of 100.

I set sharpening up to 300, and sensitivity seems to be best where it's at. Higher numbers lessen the sharpness.
Anyway, the building on the right gets much more clear. The bricks on the left are still just a solid block of color. So, it did help. I need to get the photos from my friend again to do a comparison w/ his images.
(my cam is all boxed up and ready to go, so I kind of hope it is still at fault! )

Edit - That actually makes a huge difference in a lot of photos I was unhappy with! wow... I need to rethink some things.
It's definitely still not going past focus, w/ the infinity issue. Can others with k-7's and maybe even the same 21 or 70mm lenses let me know how theirs functions? Does infinity stop at the infinity marking on the lens?

08-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #17

Original Poster
To be fair, here's the sharpened image Sharpness at 275 and sensitivity at 5.

Another edit.. Google earth says the distance from me to those buildings was about 1/2 mile, or 770 meters.. ish...
Attached Images

Last edited by wicked1; 08-30-2010 at 02:09 PM.
08-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just tried 55-300 and 16-50, they both focus on first part of the infinity mark. Go past that and things get blurry.
They act the same way on K-7 and K-100D.
08-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Anything that far away can also easily get effected by atmospheric blur.
Never the less, you should be able to reach inf. focus, without running out of lens travel

08-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Other than the colour, nothing in the photo looks like bricks. So I would say the picture is out of focus.
You could be right. I don't have a lot of context for what a 100% crop of a brick wall shot from that distance *should* look like on a potentially hazy day, which is why I asked to see a comparison shot. Like I said, it's definitely not an impressively sharp image, no doubt about that.
08-31-2010, 06:04 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by wicked1 Quote
To be fair, here's the sharpened image Sharpness at 275 and sensitivity at 5.

Another edit.. Google earth says the distance from me to those buildings was about 1/2 mile, or 770 meters.. ish...
That doesn't look like a focus issue to me. Looks like it could be slight motion blur, or just an effect of distance and atmosphere (the color of the sky looks like a hazy day). I don't know if I'd ever expect something shot a half mile away to be tack sharp, but it should look better than that under ideal conditions. I would test it on a good tripod to take motion blur out of the equation, and I'd try and do it on a nice clear day. When you are sure you've got an expert-level capture (even the best of us struggle with that at times) I'd experiment with some different sharpening methods. Maybe you could post a RAW file for some of us to convert/sharpen with some different software. I'd be happy to give it a try.
09-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

What shutter speed was it taken at I wonder?

I corrected the image below for vertical motion (Lumo) blur (perhaps a bit OTT)...

09-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

My K7 had problems similar to this, could not get a decent image from any lens. After repair it has been fine. Ship it in under warranty

09-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #24

Original Poster
I had a vacation and wanted to take my cam, so still haven't sent it back. I'm doing a few last checks before I do. I'm checking focus and shutter speed and I know if I was using a tripod, for all my vacation shots. I don't know exactly where I was focused.

Does anyone know if I can tell where the lens was focused by the exif data? As in, was that shot taken w/ focus set near infinity? There are several lines of numeric data relating to auto focus.

Thanks
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #25
Inactive Account

The only thing I've ever seen in Exif for focal Distance is a close or far type notation. No distances. Your comment does bring a question to my mind however, apologize if it's been addressed. Are you sure you are focusing on what you Think you're focusing on? That is, the K7 comes shipped (IIRC) with the AF set to Auto Select. Meaning it'll just grab a point (faces preferred from what I understand) and focus on that. Setting the AF to Center AF only, can solve a lot of focusing issues.

09-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wicked1 Quote
I had a vacation and wanted to take my cam, so still haven't sent it back.

Thanks
Before sending mine in i bought a used k10 on the forum, used it for 2 months and sold it for $10 less than i paid.
09-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #27

Original Poster
Yes, focus is set to the center point, shooting in manual or AV most of the time. The original shot I posted was just 1/100 of a second, but some from my vacation were much faster.. 1/800, 1/1000, many were on a tripod, etc, and most have the same issue.
BUT.. and this is what drives me crazy.. 1 in 300 or so shots is clear.. heh.... And I dont know how because like I've said, I've looked thru the viewfinder and slowly manually focus towards infinity and it gets closer and closer and never quite makes it. I'm not going past focus.. I'm not reaching it. I've done the same test w/ live view zoomed all the way in.
Then even more strange is the one in 300 or so that is in focus was a very slow shot.. 1/50 second or slower. Maybe the shutter flipping is causing the sensor to shake or something? No, that doesn't quite fit the symptoms.. I guess it's stupid to keep guessing when I have an RMA set up.

Getting an inexpensive spare is a good idea. Pentax says 20 day turnaround time once they get it, so i'll be w/out a cam for a while .
09-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #28

Original Poster
Ok, one last thing..
Can anyone post or link to a full size image from a k-7 (or a crop showing a section 100% zoomed in) that I can use to compare? Anything w/ a fairly wide lens, focused near infinity. A cityscape or distant building would be ideal, as there are straight lines to judge focus with. My final thought is maybe I'm expecting too much from a 100% zoom, as that's not how we really view our photos.

Thanks
09-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #30

Original Poster
Thanks a LOT.. Those all have that tiny edge of crispness over mine. I can see atmospheric distortion, or motion distortion in a couple of the examples, and it's different than the slight out of focus-ness that all of mine seem to have.
Guess it's going away for a while.