Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Photo cropping and editing.

Hey everyone, I am in need of some information as to how to save an image after I zoom in and crop it while the image is still in the camera. The reason being is that I took some great macro shots today of a few bugs and wanted to post them up. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am still in my baby steps with our K-X and learning all it has to offer. Thanks for any help.

08-30-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I was aware, you simply need to hit the ok button and a copy of the adjusted image will be saved. If I'm wrong, just refer to the guide at the bottom of the screen- the hotkey should be displayed.

However, it's recommended that you process your photos on the computer, even if it's only to resize them to web resolution. There's a free tool included on your camera's cd. I also recommend GIMP, which is found at GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program.
08-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As far as I was aware, you simply need to hit the ok button and a copy of the adjusted image will be saved. If I'm wrong, just refer to the guide at the bottom of the screen- the hotkey should be displayed.

However, it's recommended that you process your photos on the computer, even if it's only to resize them to web resolution. There's a free tool included on your camera's cd. I also recommend GIMP, which is found at GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program.
Adam, thank you for the info about the gimp. I will check it out.
08-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #4

FastStone can also do simple editing like crop'ing.
(I use faststone for the preliminary image selection, before "detailed" PP with tools like Bibble or Lightroom).

08-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Forum Member

I would recommend that you don't crop your photos while in the camera. IMHO it is far better to crop them on your computer. There are lots of easy and many times free editing software programs that can crop much better than you can in camera and they will allow you to do thing like correct the horizon and reduce the image size for posting online. The forum even has a free editor online that you can use for this.
08-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Jon in SC; and, like tiltman, I would highly recommend FastStone. It has become my preliminary editor of choice. Although I use it primarily for image selection, it has a good choice of basic image modification operations. It is also much, much faster than Adobe Bridge. And it's free! Donations are optional (I have done so because I so happy with the software).
08-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Online editing

When I am not on my computer and have access to my programs, a great online editor is found at Photo editor online - Pixlr.com edit image

It is free, quick and online.

08-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

Paint .Net is also free and pretty good. I've been using it off and on. Picasa is also a good tool for basic edits and organization.
09-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #9

Faststone

QuoteOriginally posted by tiltman Quote
FastStone can also do simple editing like crop'ing.
(I use faststone for the preliminary image selection, before "detailed" PP with tools like Bibble or Lightroom).
Thank you, for reminding me about faststone. I had heard of it before but had never checked it out. I just downloaded the portable version, and love it for now. It is small and QUICK. I love the auto toolbars, and that when you close the program and reopen it; it opens the last folder you had opened! Best thing yet is pic is fullscreen until you need a tool. I have only spent 5 min. with it so there is a lot to learn. But Thanks.