Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Kx vs K7 keeper rate

I am looking for opinions from people theat have used both Kx and K7.

My main issue regarding the Kx is the fact that, in tungsten light or using flash, I get much more OOF pics with the Kx compared with the K7.

Does Kx have worse AF under artificial light compared with K7?

Thanks!

K

08-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you want artificial light?
08-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Do you want artificial light?
No, I want natural light all the time, trouble is that the sun is sometimes missing from the sky so people have come up with clever solutions to light our environment
08-30-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
with available sunlight the K-7 is my favorite. During a photoshoot of a band playing at night i had way more keepers with my K-x. This is mainly because with artificial light the high ISO performance of the K-x is stunningly better than the K-7.
Both cameras seem to do quite well in respect to focus and proper exposure. So it all comes down to the person handling the camera i.m.h.o.

08-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter

It's not unusual for camera autofocus systems to have trouble under tungsten lighting.
08-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replies so far. I have to run some tests because I suspect that the focus confirmation for the Kx is sometimes off topic. Was curious if someone had encountered the same problem.
08-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Well, haven't you stumbled into the "My K-X focuses where??" buzzsaw !!

Lots of threads on this and the other forum.

I will speak for myself. If I were to use multiple AF points, I would be uncertain about which one the K-X picked. Marc S. advised elsewhere that this decision cannot be predicted with any confidence. At all. IIRC.

So I use just center point. Unless I'm in the UK. Then I use centre point. They work very much alike.

But I still sometimes find that I'm focused behind or in front of the subject that I had in mind. This seems to happen more indoors but I use the K-X more often indoors so I won't read too much into that.

It's not a frequent problem but the K-7 and I seem to think more alike. I won't say that AF without illuminated AF points is a problem. Nope. Not about to set that issue afire again.

There is a thread going on now that shows a layout of the, I think, K-7 AF points. You may find that diagram helpful.

Did you check the images closely to see if there's a pattern about where the K-X is really focused??
08-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Well, haven't you stumbled into the "My K-X focuses where??" buzzsaw !!

Lots of threads on this and the other forum.

I will speak for myself. If I were to use multiple AF points, I would be uncertain about which one the K-X picked. Marc S. advised elsewhere that this decision cannot be predicted with any confidence. At all. IIRC.

So I use just center point. Unless I'm in the UK. Then I use centre point. They work very much alike.

But I still sometimes find that I'm focused behind or in front of the subject that I had in mind. This seems to happen more indoors but I use the K-X more often indoors so I won't read too much into that.

It's not a frequent problem but the K-7 and I seem to think more alike. I won't say that AF without illuminated AF points is a problem. Nope. Not about to set that issue afire again.

There is a thread going on now that shows a layout of the, I think, K-7 AF points. You may find that diagram helpful.

Did you check the images closely to see if there's a pattern about where the K-X is really focused??
exactly! I am using always center focus and still, even if I take care to put the center point to a contrast line on the subject, I get OOF images. Usually it's backfocus. Happens also outside, but not that often.

08-30-2010, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-7 has an automatic compensation for tungsten light in its AF system; no other Pentax cameras does. So when shooting lenses with extremely shallow DOF, the slight FF induced by tungsten light would indeed be an issue with the K-x but not K-7.
08-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The K-7 has an automatic compensation for tungsten light in its AF system; no other Pentax cameras does. So when shooting lenses with extremely shallow DOF, the slight FF induced by tungsten light would indeed be an issue with the K-x but not K-7.
Thanks! That would be a good explanation since I was shooting the Kx in available light, with manual WB and fully open aperture in order to take advantage of highest shutter speeds available.

One other thing - if I switched to MF, although in the VF (after focus confirmation) the things look the same as in AF, I got better focused pics.