Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #1

Kx durability

Just want to relate this incident: I picked up my K-x with the 50-200 mm kit lens from the table underneath the carport, and headed into the house. The stock strap (which I never use) caught on the neck of a gas can, and jerked the camera out of my hand as I was walking away, onto the concrete floor! Surprisingly, I can detect no damage. I'm impressed! BTW, strap is no longer on the camera. I love my K-x!

08-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I agree.
I had a similar incident where I had a side flap on my camera pack that was not zipped (had put the camera in through the top of the pack and did not notice side flap was unzipped). Anyway walking out to car and out flopped K-x + 55-300 lense, bumped off side of car, and onto concrete floor. I was devastated but like you could not (apart from one very minor scuff) find any damage and continues to still take photos as new.

I have also had some close calls with my camera strap getting caught on things and vice versa (like nearly accidentally dragging camera off a table when lifting up some books). Very tempted to remove mine too because so far the strap has not saved it once but has nearly ditched it several times. The only thing stopping me is that it can be convenient when walking about but even then leaving it hanging on a strap while you standing and especially walking is not a great idea (could swing and hit something or what if strap comes off).
08-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The strap is designed to keep the camera with an object. It's usually recommended that you are that object.
08-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #4

Good to know looking at buying the k-x this week or next. Finally upgrading from my canon sx10. Was originally getting the t1i, then decided on the nikon d5000, but now decided on the kx because of the great pricing on the two lense kit.

Looking forward to it!
TJ

08-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
The strap is designed to keep the camera with an object. It's usually recommended that you are that object.
Sounds like you pulled this one from the manual!
08-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All joking aside, this subject has cropped up in quite a few threads now and it is definitely debatable whether a strap is a good idea or not.
I'm still sitting on the fence at the moment - even if its uncomfortable
08-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjslayer Quote
Good to know looking at buying the k-x this week or next. Finally upgrading from my canon sx10. Was originally getting the t1i, then decided on the nikon d5000, but now decided on the kx because of the great pricing on the two lense kit.

Looking forward to it!
TJ
Do it, I got mine about a week ago; shouldn't have waited so long! I was also looking at Nikon but the lenses were larger and heavier for the same focal length. Plus I have owned a Pentax for 30 plus years....
08-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Very well said.

08-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Forum Member

My experience is less positive - I had my k-x on a table and accidentally knocked it off the table onto carpeted floor. The fall was maybe a little over 2 feet.

The back LCD cracked and hinge is loose. The camera had a 50mm F1.7 lens on at the time. Lens took no damage.

Can still take photos with the camera thou, I think it's decent build quality considering the price but it is definitely NOT a sturdy camera...
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This story is like Jack-Ass: Don't try this at home!

Good that you did okay on the story.
08-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #11

The strap is around my neck all the time when i want to take pictures. When i'm done, camera goes in the bag, so i don't really wonder nor do i want to find camera resistance in contact with concrete. It is unfortunate to hear some of you had bad events.
08-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

anyone had this strap problem.... i noticed that the strap had rubbed the chrome paint of the accent trim on the kx body.... it was the original pentax strap (properly attached.. had my wife help since i don't read instructions... a male taboo...lol).....
i since added a padded strap to make it more comfortable when using a heavy lens (1st generation sigma 70-200 f2.8 non macro).....
if i were not to use a neck strap..i'd probably go to a wrist strap...i'm too much of a klutz to just grab the camera and walk around with it..... my luck... i'd walk into something and drop it.... i still think pentax could've made the k-x just a bit more robust, i.e., like the 200d... and for god's sake... get rid of that cheap chrome accent strip..... or, make it all metal... not painted plastic..... dave m.
p.s..... here's hoping the kr is not only technologically superior, but physically as well.... body armour????
08-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
if i were not to use a neck strap..i'd probably go to a wrist strap...i'm too much of a klutz to just grab the camera and walk around with it.....
I avoid the strap as I find it makes the camera land on my stomach, accenting my man curves more than I'd like.

The wrist strap is great for me, because it keeps my medium-large hands in the right spot to grip the smaller body.
08-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I always use the strap around my neck.