Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Senior Member
jeff knight's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest USA
Posts: 255
K20D: What the Beep?

Long story short. Bought a used K20D through the marketplace on this forum.
Seller assured me it was "fully functional." The camera will not beep even though it is fully enabled to do so.

When photographing models in the studio I concentrate on their posing and expressions. Things happen fast,
and I often miss the focus-confirm light at the bottom of the viewfinder.

It may seem a small thing to some, but I totally rely on that focus-confirm beep all the time.
Could use some advice here. ...And does anyone else find that little beep as important I do?


Last edited by jeff knight; 08-30-2010 at 07:11 PM.
08-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,411
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
does anyone else find that little beep as important I do?

Not me--I'm in my late sixties, I've had 5 Pentax DSLRs and haven't heard one beep yet. Can't hear the turn signal in my car either. Too much Rock & Roll, I guess.
08-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
jeff knight's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest USA
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Not me--I'm in my late sixties, I've had 5 Pentax DSLRs and haven't heard one beep yet. Can't hear the turn signal in my car either. Too much Rock & Roll, I guess.
Hey buddy, my eyes have gone way before my hearing. ...And to think I bought a lens from you once you poor deaf bbb...rascal.

Still I greatly appreciate your response!
08-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
vagrant10's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: portland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,361
well that's a drag. have you contacted the seller to see if a refund is possible? personally, I find that the beep is too often wrong and don't pay it much heed. I trust my eyes much more, particularly now that I installed a focusing screen in it while using a magnifier. well, hope you find a resolution that works for you. and I'd definitely get in touch w/ the seller and see what they would be willing to do.

08-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 535
I find MF unreliable for consistent sharp focus, so I disabled the beep. It's just annoying, as far as I'm concerned.
08-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
Well I like the annoying beep, and other than in very quiet settings I keep it on all the time too.
There's nothing else to it other than to enable the function in the appropriate menu.
Ask the seller if this was noticed and if it can be returned.
08-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
Probably I am stating the obvious, but you can turn on and off the beep in the Set-up menu for several items.
08-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
jeff knight's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest USA
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
well that's a drag. have you contacted the seller to see if a refund is possible? personally, I find that the beep is too often wrong and don't pay it much heed. I trust my eyes much more, particularly now that I installed a focusing screen in it while using a magnifier. well, hope you find a resolution that works for you. and I'd definitely get in touch w/ the seller and see what they would be willing to do.
Thankfully the seller will take it back. Said he never used the function so didn't know it didn't work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well I like the annoying beep, and other than in very quiet settings I keep it on all the time too.
There's nothing else to it other than to enable the function in the appropriate menu.
Ask the seller if this was noticed and if it can be returned.
Definitely the first thing I checked. Glad someone else other than me uses this function!

08-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,411
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
..And to think I bought a lens from you once you poor deaf bbb...rascal.
Did the lens make noise?
08-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,169
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
...does anyone else find that little beep as important I do?
Use it all of the time with the K-7 and K-x.

While focus lock notification is helpful, I wish there was a way to enable the beep when SR engages.

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 08-31-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
08-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
I am curious if you tried a full reset of the camera to see if that fixes it? Might be something you inadvertently selected, or could just need a reset plain and simple!

Just last night my TV converter box stopped showing the visual signal (no, I don't have a tube TV, I have an obscure 4 year old RCA DVR that uses analog signals only, pft!). Audio was there, and the menu of the converter box worked. I know I didn't change any settings. I did a reset and voila, fine again.

Now, I expect better function out of a (now) $500 camera over a $40 converter box, but all electronics are subject to their own occasional snafus!
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
jeff knight's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest USA
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Did the lens make noise?
Oh yeah, and I made noise too. It was really a great lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Use it all of the time with the K-7 and K-x.

While focus lock notification is helpful, I wish the was a way to enable the beep when SR engages.

Cheers...
Never thought of that before but it is would be really great to have that option.

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I am curious if you tried a full reset of the camera to see if that fixes it? Might be something you inadvertently selected, or could just need a reset plain and simple!

Just last night my TV converter box stopped showing the visual signal (no, I don't have a tube TV, I have an obscure 4 year old RCA DVR that uses analog signals only, pft!). Audio was there, and the menu of the converter box worked. I know I didn't change any settings. I did a reset and voila, fine again.

Now, I expect better function out of a (now) $500 camera over a $40 converter box, but all electronics are subject to their own occasional snafus!
Yes, I tried a total reset of everything more than once. Removed and replaced the battery. It seemed to me to be one of those permanent electronic snafus, as you call it.
09-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 97
Firmware upgrade?

Might be worth a try, and faster than shipping back.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
beep, camera, dslr, k20d, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new K-200D doesn't beep! VE2CJW Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 08-02-2009 07:24 PM
K20D Beep holdgaj Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 04-29-2009 04:41 PM
Can Auto Focus be set to BEEP voicelit Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 10-08-2008 11:06 AM
Beep Never Worked JohnV3 Pentax DSLR Discussion 44 06-27-2008 04:29 PM
Manual Focus Beep Confirmation nex1 Pentax DSLR Discussion 30 02-07-2008 07:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top