Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

K20D: What the Beep?

Long story short. Bought a used K20D through the marketplace on this forum.
Seller assured me it was "fully functional." The camera will not beep even though it is fully enabled to do so.

When photographing models in the studio I concentrate on their posing and expressions. Things happen fast,
and I often miss the focus-confirm light at the bottom of the viewfinder.

It may seem a small thing to some, but I totally rely on that focus-confirm beep all the time.
Could use some advice here. ...And does anyone else find that little beep as important I do?

Last edited by jeff knight; 08-30-2010 at 07:11 PM.
08-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
does anyone else find that little beep as important I do?

Not me--I'm in my late sixties, I've had 5 Pentax DSLRs and haven't heard one beep yet. Can't hear the turn signal in my car either. Too much Rock & Roll, I guess.
08-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Not me--I'm in my late sixties, I've had 5 Pentax DSLRs and haven't heard one beep yet. Can't hear the turn signal in my car either. Too much Rock & Roll, I guess.
Hey buddy, my eyes have gone way before my hearing. ...And to think I bought a lens from you once you poor deaf bbb...rascal.

Still I greatly appreciate your response!
08-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
well that's a drag. have you contacted the seller to see if a refund is possible? personally, I find that the beep is too often wrong and don't pay it much heed. I trust my eyes much more, particularly now that I installed a focusing screen in it while using a magnifier. well, hope you find a resolution that works for you. and I'd definitely get in touch w/ the seller and see what they would be willing to do.

08-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I find MF unreliable for consistent sharp focus, so I disabled the beep. It's just annoying, as far as I'm concerned.
08-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I like the annoying beep, and other than in very quiet settings I keep it on all the time too.
There's nothing else to it other than to enable the function in the appropriate menu.
Ask the seller if this was noticed and if it can be returned.
08-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably I am stating the obvious, but you can turn on and off the beep in the Set-up menu for several items.

08-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
well that's a drag. have you contacted the seller to see if a refund is possible? personally, I find that the beep is too often wrong and don't pay it much heed. I trust my eyes much more, particularly now that I installed a focusing screen in it while using a magnifier. well, hope you find a resolution that works for you. and I'd definitely get in touch w/ the seller and see what they would be willing to do.
Thankfully the seller will take it back. Said he never used the function so didn't know it didn't work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well I like the annoying beep, and other than in very quiet settings I keep it on all the time too.
There's nothing else to it other than to enable the function in the appropriate menu.
Ask the seller if this was noticed and if it can be returned.
Definitely the first thing I checked. Glad someone else other than me uses this function!
08-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

..And to think I bought a lens from you once you poor deaf bbb...rascal.
Did the lens make noise?
08-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...does anyone else find that little beep as important I do?
Use it all of the time with the K-7 and K-x.

While focus lock notification is helpful, I wish there was a way to enable the beep when SR engages.

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 08-31-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
08-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am curious if you tried a full reset of the camera to see if that fixes it? Might be something you inadvertently selected, or could just need a reset plain and simple!

Just last night my TV converter box stopped showing the visual signal (no, I don't have a tube TV, I have an obscure 4 year old RCA DVR that uses analog signals only, pft!). Audio was there, and the menu of the converter box worked. I know I didn't change any settings. I did a reset and voila, fine again.

Now, I expect better function out of a (now) $500 camera over a $40 converter box, but all electronics are subject to their own occasional snafus!
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Did the lens make noise?
Oh yeah, and I made noise too. It was really a great lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Use it all of the time with the K-7 and K-x.

While focus lock notification is helpful, I wish the was a way to enable the beep when SR engages.

Cheers...
Never thought of that before but it is would be really great to have that option.

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I am curious if you tried a full reset of the camera to see if that fixes it? Might be something you inadvertently selected, or could just need a reset plain and simple!

Just last night my TV converter box stopped showing the visual signal (no, I don't have a tube TV, I have an obscure 4 year old RCA DVR that uses analog signals only, pft!). Audio was there, and the menu of the converter box worked. I know I didn't change any settings. I did a reset and voila, fine again.

Now, I expect better function out of a (now) $500 camera over a $40 converter box, but all electronics are subject to their own occasional snafus!
Yes, I tried a total reset of everything more than once. Removed and replaced the battery. It seemed to me to be one of those permanent electronic snafus, as you call it.
09-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Firmware upgrade?

Might be worth a try, and faster than shipping back.