Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #1

K100 battery drain

I don't know if this was already discussed at the forum, I simply didn't find any thread regarding the matter.

My problems is that my good old K100D that I now use mainly for infrared photos has started draining batteries at a very fast rate. I have heard one person complaining about the same problem with their Kx in my town. Previously I could shoot a couple of hundred shots on a single set of rechargeables and up to 400-500 on alkaline batteries. Now I only manage to make about 20 shots with fully charged batteries and then the camera dies out. I've went to a service guy with the problem, and he said that he actually didn't find any drains in the camera itself and the batteries don't become drained too fast too. He suggested that it's a software/firmware problem because the camera itself doesn't rekognize the batteries as fully charged and "thinks" they are empty. Well, at least that's what the service guy said. Any sugegstions or maybe someone who has had simmilar problems with their battery-powered Pentax dslrs? Maybe I'm not alone with this and there's a solution to the problem?

08-31-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try lithium AA's ,see what happens. (400-500 on Alkaline s is pretty good.)
08-31-2010, 03:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
I've tried all sorts of batteries and the problem is still there
08-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Have you tried Sanyo Eneloops? If they don't work then your camera has a problem.

The K100D definitely does not have a firmware problem. It may be that it developed a hardware problem, i.e., the circuitry that measures the battery voltage may have become faulty.

08-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hiddenhallow Quote
I've tried all sorts of batteries and the problem is still there
Like which? Please see the may existing threads on batteries, and let us know if you've tried any of the specific batteries that get recomended over and over in those threads (eg, Eneloops). Alkalines in particular are *not* to be used - it even says so specifically in the manual. So if all you've done is try different brands of alkalines, then you really haven't tried "all sorts of batteries", but just different brands of the one sort of battery you are *not* supposed to use.
08-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
Marc, I have tried Li-ion, Ni-Mg rechargeables besides different brands of alkaline batteries, and that didn't help. I'll certainly try the Eneloops if I manage to find them anywhere in my town. But the point is that the body didn't have such problems in the past with any battereis.
08-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have tried Li-ion, Ni-Mg rechargeables besides different brands of alkaline batteries, and that didn't help. I'll certainly try the Eneloops if I manage to find them anywhere in my town. But the point is that the body didn't have such problems in the past with any battereis.
If that is the case -
then I think you have just pin-pointed your problem.

The only other thing that is worth trying - is to check and clean the camera's battery contacts - there may be a very slight chance that some debris may be causing some kind of short which may drain the batteries.
08-31-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I have the same problem! From one day to another my K100 started to eat batteries. I had recharchable batteries. They were suddenly empty after two days, even with the camera off. I normally could use them for 6 or 7 weeks and take abouth 600 to 800 pictures. Because the batteries were 2 years old, I bought new ones, but they did the same. I have tried several sorts of batteries, but the problem is still there. I noticed that the camera makes a strange sound, when I push the button, but before it takes a picture. I also would be very pleased if someone can help. I am on holiday to Australia in November, and I would not like to have to buy a new camera!

I have the same problem with my K100d.
Even when I do not use the camera, the batteries will drain.
I allready tried several different batteries, but the problem stays!
I tried new Duracell batteries today. Made abouth 100 foto 's and the batteries were empty.
When I push the button I hear a faint strange sound from the camera before the shutter goes.
If anybody can help, I am going on a holiday to Australia in November and would like to be able to trust my K100.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-31-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: dup
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Marc, I have tried Li-ion, Ni-Mg rechargeables besides different brands of alkaline batteries, and that didn't help. I'll certainly try the Eneloops if I manage to find them anywhere in my town. But the point is that the body didn't have such problems in the past with any battereis.
Perhaps not, but I'd say you just were getting lucky. Alkalines are not supposed to work.

Also, there is no such thing as a Li-Ion AA battery. Perhaps you mean Lithium, as in the Energizer Lithium non-rechargeables? A brand new set of those should definitely be good for 500-1000 shots. There is also no such thing as Ni-Mg, but perhaps you mean NiMH. Again, see the many existing threads on these, but don't expect too much out of older ones or ones charged with cheap/generic/fast chargers.

Anyhow, I'd just say forget any other type of cell exists except hybrid NiMH's like Eneloops (or the other brands of the same design, listed in the many existing threads on the topic) or Lithiums.
08-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jansiemon Quote
[lang=nl]I have the same problem!
Then I have the same suggestion. Try the low self-discharge / "hybrid" NiMH cells tht are univerally recommended in the many existing threads on AA batteries, and forget about all other options. If that doesn't solve your problem, then you might consider sending the camera in for service.

The noise you mention is probably unrelated; you might consider starting a new thread to discuss that.