Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-x, K-r, D3100 or T2i.

I've been researching other cameras whilst waiting for the K-r announcement. 2 that interest me are the D3100 and the T2i. The T2i i am almost ruling out due to price but the D3100 should be about the same price as the K-r.
I have some Pentax lenses but do not have a lot of money invested.

I plan on shooting some video as well which puts me off the K-x even though I love everything else about it.

What say you experts? I know it's hard without the K-r specs but why would you not get a D3100 for example?

thanks
Ian

08-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kinsale Quote
I've been researching other cameras whilst waiting for the K-r announcement. 2 that interest me are the D3100 and the T2i. The T2i i am almost ruling out due to price but the D3100 should be about the same price as the K-r.
I have some Pentax lenses but do not have a lot of money invested.

I plan on shooting some video as well which puts me off the K-x even though I love everything else about it.

What say you experts? I know it's hard without the K-r specs but why would you not get a D3100 for example?

thanks
Ian
Because anything less than the D90 currently does not have an in body motor essentially "crippling" it (probably a strong word but what ever).
08-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only lenses that will AF with the D3100 will be ones with the motor in the lens (more expensive lenses).

The feature set of the K-x is more complete... but more importantly, what kind of photography do you want to be doing? Pentax and Nikon each have their own strengths, and if you are going to be investing in lenses, THAT should dictate which body you buy. Your future self will thank you.
08-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Besides the lenses being more expensive, how else would that hurt me?

08-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Because anything less than the D90 currently does not have an in body motor essentially "crippling" it (probably a strong word but what ever).
And anything less than the D300 can't meter without a chipped lens.
08-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The only lenses that will AF with the D3100 will be ones with the motor in the lens (more expensive lenses).

The feature set of the K-x is more complete... but more importantly, what kind of photography do you want to be doing? Pentax and Nikon each have their own strengths, and if you are going to be investing in lenses, THAT should dictate which body you buy. Your future self will thank you.
I am new to all this so please forgive me. I thought you could get the same lens pretty much from any of the major players? I want to do all round photography at the start as i haven't found one particular genre that I really like yet. I am looking for an all round camera with video as well.
08-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Forum Member

I am certainly not an expert - I have had a K-x for 3 months. There have been numerous discussions on k-x vs D5000 vs T1i way back which I painstakingly reviewed when I was making my decision. You can make all arguments for and against, I decided based on price (a bit lower for a 2-lens kit) and the ability to use older lenses etc. K-x shoots video but doesnt AF in that mode. I suspect even if the K-r does, it will probably be audible as the AF in general is not silent... Perhaps the D3100 is more appropriate in that respect. I would think that if you are not heavily invested in the Pentax system, the D3100 would be an option. If you just stay with the kit lenses (not a bad option with the k-x) or just add a fast prime, either system would be fine - my brother has a D3000 with a 35/1.8 Nikkor and he is happy.

08-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kinsale Quote
Besides the lenses being more expensive, how else would that hurt me?

lens options. Basically if your going Nikon, my advice would be to pony up for a used D300 or in some cases D90.
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #9

any entry level dslr in the market today should perform well enough for snapshot use. just that on k-x you can use any pentax lenses. but on D3100 you can use only lenses with auto focus motors. since D3100 doesn't have focus motor nor in camera stabilization. you pay for that thru every lens you buy.
08-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

how can anyone here or anywhere else be an expert when half he camera bodies you have mentioned have not even been released yet? Silly.

Jason
08-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My experience (as I have contemplated switching to Nikon, and abandoned that plan):

A) Pentax lenses cover the most used ranges.
B) Nikon has a few extra options in the budget lens category, but for the most part, their lenses cost more for the same features (e.g., image stabilization, specialty lens prices).
C) Nikon has more to offer the professional photographer who is willing to spend 1000's on a lens.

Considering that you are looking at the entry level cameras, I doubt you would be buying the products that Nikon has, but Pentax does not. You can buy the K-X or K-R with a it lens and cover all your general-use focal lengths, and you can buy the double-kit lens package which will give you a nice telephoto lens as well for animals or candids. That package is 700-800, and will likely give you everything you need for general-purpose photography. The standard kit lens (18-55 mm) is what you would be using for most purposes (the images will look similar to a persons point-of-view).

If you are trying to save money and have fun, I would say the pentax K-X or K-R should fit the bill. Nikon is great buy if you forsee yourself being hired for jobs and renting specialty lenses, or spending a LOT of money to build yourself a very impressive kit.

I would recommend buying an 18-55 kit lens at first (not the double lens package) to see what you like to shoot. You will likely be very happy with the 18-55 kit and not see any need to upgrade for quite some time.

Price-performance ratio is Pentax, upgrade-ability options is Nikon. If this is just a hobby and you want the best value for your dollar, the K-X or K-R has lots more to offer over the D3100 or D3000. To get the most out of Nikon you need to spend the big bucks.

But don't take my word for it... compare lenses on whatever camera store's website you will be using. Some will be more expensive some will be less, but in the range you will be shooting in, at the budget level, I believe Pentax offers more value.
08-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do recognize that the K-x fits the bill. I own a K100D which my wife is getting as a present. The problem is the K-x is not the all round camera I want it to be due to the video feature not being as good as say the D3100 or the A55.
I know this is not always popular here but video is important to me as I only travel with one camera. I would not bring a camcorder and a camera with me anywhere.
I just thought I would get peoples opinions of the merits of each system and I thank you for your inputs.

Nikon does seem to have what I need in terms of lenses. If the K-r has what I need though I would prefer that.
08-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try the other brand. If you like it, then stick with it. As far as "I would not bring a camcorder and a camera with me anywhere", I would , just to get good footage.

Cheers, Mike.
08-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Once again , if you are going with Nikon you really should be buying their more expensive bodies... I would go with the D90... the entry level cameras they sell are very crippled.

Unless you only plan on using the kit lens.
08-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Isn't the D3100 video capped at like 5 minutes or something? I thought I read that somewhere regarding the D5000. It was then that I ran into the K-x and bought that instead. I'm glad I did.