Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How good is the K110d?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking to buy an 18-250mm lens for my K-x, and so far haven't found one. However, I see a deal on a K110d, including an 18-250mm lens and a few other accessories. Can I expect to get much money if I try to sell the K110d body?

08-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well a completed items search on eBay showed that someone recently tried (and failed) to sell one at $150. A couple with the kit lens sold at between $200 and $250.

Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com has a couple of K100D's for ~$225, but IIRC the K110D vs the K100 so expect them to be more desirable and more expensive.

Based on that, I'd say if you have a cheap lens that you don't mind getting rid of, and if it comes with the box, manuals, etc etc, you could get $200 on eBay, but of course you're going to pay fees out the wazoo, so figure $175.

You could have keh quote you a price and sell it for you . . .

All depends on the deal your getting. Details?
08-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The deal is $550 for the body, lens, a 2GB card, camera bag. I figure it's marginal unless the seller will reduce the price. It's advertised as having shake reduction, but I looked it up and it appears to me the 110d is basically the 100d minus shake reduction. Maybe the seller will cut me a deal. Or, I could offer to pay $300 plus give the seller my 18-55mm kit lens, and they could sell the camera + kit lens, etc. Or, I could try that. I'd like to retain my kit lens, so I'd have to go find another. It's all pretty complicated, plus I'd have to drive 50 miles each way. Or just maybe the seller would take $400 for the lens, an OK deal I suppose, but I kind of doubt they'd want to part with just the lens.

Edit: How do you do a "completed items search" on eBay? That sounds great! I've been eBaying a long time, didn't know about that...
08-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What 18-200mm lens? I dont even see a new version off hand for more than $300. I would not pay that much for the kit. Seems a little high.

08-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #5

Does it have to be a Pentax 18-250? Amazon has a Tamron 18-200 for $289 new plus a $60 rebate, that bring the prince down to $229. Not quite the same tele range but looks like a pretty good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF-18-200mm-Aspherical-Pentax/dp/B0007WK8NK/ref=dp_cp_ob_p_0_map

I would keep your kit lens if possible, I think you would regret selling it, but on the other hand it would be much easier to pick another one up then it seems to be to find a Pentax 18-250.

Go here to search completed listings on eBay:
http://pages.ebay.com/completedlistings/
08-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frooggy Quote
What 18-200mm lens? I dont even see a new version off hand for more than $300. I would not pay that much for the kit. Seems a little high.
No, that's the 18-250mm, read the OP carefully. It's made by Tamron, Pentax sold a rebadged version, perhaps identical except for the branding. Even the coatings may be the same. I'm told the Pentax version's coatings don't look like the usual SMC coatings.

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
Does it have to be a Pentax 18-250? Amazon has a Tamron 18-200 for $289 new plus a $60 rebate, that bring the prince down to $229. Not quite the same tele range but looks like a pretty good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF-18-200mm-Aspherical-Pentax/dp/B0007WK8NK/ref=dp_cp_ob_p_0_map

I would keep your kit lens if possible, I think you would regret selling it, but on the other hand it would be much easier to pick another one up then it seems to be to find a Pentax 18-250.

Go here to search completed listings on eBay:
http://pages.ebay.com/completedlistings/
The 18-200 Tamron is said to be inferior to the 18-250 IQ wise. I'm going to hold out for an 18-250mm, and I suppose that it really doesn't matter if it's the Pentax or Tamron version. The Tamron new had an advantage in having the 6 year warranty, but used I suppose it's a wash.

Yes, I would miss the 18-55mm kit lens, and I reckon you're entirely correct that it would be far easier to find. I think I recall someone mentioning that he picked up one for around $80.

Thanks for that link to completed listings. I'm going to check it out!
08-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
The deal is $550 for the body, lens, a 2GB card, camera bag. I figure it's marginal unless the seller will reduce the price. It's advertised as having shake reduction, but I looked it up and it appears to me the 110d is basically the 100d minus shake reduction. Maybe the seller will cut me a deal. Or, I could offer to pay $300 plus give the seller my 18-55mm kit lens, and they could sell the camera + kit lens, etc. Or, I could try that. I'd like to retain my kit lens, so I'd have to go find another. It's all pretty complicated, plus I'd have to drive 50 miles each way. Or just maybe the seller would take $400 for the lens, an OK deal I suppose, but I kind of doubt they'd want to part with just the lens.

Edit: How do you do a "completed items search" on eBay? That sounds great! I've been eBaying a long time, didn't know about that...
The K110D does not have SR. It is a capable but very basic DSLR that has pretty good high ISO performance due largely to only having 6MP. But I don't think the value is more than $150 because of the relatively low cost of more advanced cameras. In theory, more used bodies should show up when people upgrade after the Photokina latest-greatest announcement in the near future. That will further devalue the K110D and other older bodies, perhaps. You could just keep it as a backup, though.

09-01-2010, 04:50 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The K110D does not have SR. It is a capable but very basic DSLR that has pretty good high ISO performance due largely to only having 6MP. But I don't think the value is more than $150 because of the relatively low cost of more advanced cameras. In theory, more used bodies should show up when people upgrade after the Photokina latest-greatest announcement in the near future. That will further devalue the K110D and other older bodies, perhaps. You could just keep it as a backup, though.
I emailed the seller and he didn't answer me. Instead he posted a new listing, this time saying it was a K100. I called him last night and he confirms that it is a K100d. I think that would be a more valuable 2nd body, but I don't expect to be doing enough photography to warrant keeping a 2nd body, so if I buy the package from him I'll be immediately trying to unload that body. I saw one go for $200 including shipping on eBay a week or two ago. It had the pretty much full complement of accessories furnished with the camera, and this guy says he has that stuff but I'm dubious because he's evidently misplaced the hood for the 18-250. He was unaware of that issue until I told him. I also told him that the cheapest I've been able to find that hood online is $44 (B&H) shipped. He's very busy with things right now, says he'll try to find the hood (he didn't sound entirely optimistic), and will get back to me if he finds it. I told him if he doesn't find it I might make him an offer. I do want a hood.
09-03-2010, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If all you want is a 18-250 lens, lately there have been good deals on eBay and even the MarketPlace.

On eBay, there is currently available a Tamron 18-250 lens starting at $250.

And recently on the MarketPlace, a Pentax 18-250 with a Pentax *istD sold for $300.
09-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
If all you want is a 18-250 lens, lately there have been good deals on eBay and even the MarketPlace.

On eBay, there is currently available a Tamron 18-250 lens starting at $250.

And recently on the MarketPlace, a Pentax 18-250 with a Pentax *istD sold for $300.
All I want is a lens, not that Pentax body and a few dubious accessories. It's been suggested to me that I consider the Sigma 18-125mm instead of the 18-250 Tamron/Pentax. It generally runs fairly cheaper (used for around $200 possibly, $335 new), and doesn't exhibit the CA problems of the 18-250. The 18-250 still tops my list, though.

Thanks for these tips. Of course, the hood and lens cap would be nice! Reputation added!

That MarketPlace listing evidently didn't include the hood. Neither does the one in the OP in this thread. The seller has misplaced it. He said he'd look and get back to me if he found it. the cheapest I've found is $44 shipped from B&H.

I found a local craigslist Pentax version, sounds OK. He bought it on ebay in "as new" condition, but returned the camera, so is selling the lens. I was all ready to buy it tonight (had a wad with $369 in my pocket) but the seller didn't return my emails and didn't call me (he's a 15 mile drive from me). He's had it listed almost 2 weeks. I had trouble contacting him, and he seems too busy to pay attention to me at the moment. Oh well. Maybe I can actually beat that price, though, seeing the deals you linked here. I'm watching that Tamron on eBay. That seller is just as close as the one I was going to drive to tonight, but don't know if they'd let me pick it up in lieu of the $15 shipping. I sent the seller an inquiry.

Last edited by Muse; 09-03-2010 at 11:52 PM.
09-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I think that would be a more valuable 2nd body, but I don't expect to be doing enough photography to warrant keeping a 2nd body, so if I buy the package from him I'll be immediately trying to unload that body.
I have a k200 but kept my k100 for redundancy. You have to consider the cost of having your camera fail, in terms of lost opportunities. Also I've found it handy on occasions to have both bodies with different lenses attached. I still use the k100 for maybe 20-25% of my pictures.

Paul