Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K200d dial issues

Well, today my K200d started giving me some issues somewhat similar to what Yeatzee described in this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91847-pentax-k200d...roblems-2.html

However, not exactly. The Dial well only select M, AV and B. I shoot in M and Av so much, I didn't notice it. What got my attention is that the SR was coming up as off even though it was on. The AF/MF switch was working backwards as well. It wasn't prompting me for the focal length of my Tak is what got my attention. The Green Button quit working as well. I reset everything to default and reprogrammed all of my settings. That got back my green button and SR. However, It looks like I am stuck with the M, Av and B modes as far as the dial goes. This body has basically served as my P & S since May 31, 2008. I guess the K20d is going to start carrying more of a load. I really don't to pay $200 to have a dial switch fixed that shouldn't wear out under basic use. This is more of a calm rant than anything.

08-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Well, today my K200d started giving me some issues somewhat similar to what Yeatzee described in this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91847-pentax-k200d...roblems-2.html

However, not exactly. The Dial well only select M, AV and B. I shoot in M and Av so much, I didn't notice it. What got my attention is that the SR was coming up as off even though it was on. The AF/MF switch was working backwards as well. It wasn't prompting me for the focal length of my Tak is what got my attention. The Green Button quit working as well. I reset everything to default and reprogrammed all of my settings. That got back my green button and SR. However, It looks like I am stuck with the M, Av and B modes as far as the dial goes. This body has basically served as my P & S since May 31, 2008. I guess the K20d is going to start carrying more of a load. I really don't to pay $200 to have a dial switch fixed that shouldn't wear out under basic use.

Sorry to hear.....

But whats REALLY odd, is that I just checked my K200d after reading the above and its working fine in AV mode with my Pentax DA 55-300mm it appears as far as i can tell to have reverted back to its original working condition

WTF?
08-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you by any chance using high voltage batteries which might drive the electronics insane?
08-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Have you by any chance using high voltage batteries which might drive the electronics insane?
I've used the same batteries since the day I got the camera (eneloop rebranded duracell).

08-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would have to say either high temperature or humidity might be the cause then since it is normal now.
08-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I would have to say either high temperature or humidity might be the cause then since it is normal now.
I continually used the camera until/after I got my K-7 (took me a little while to save up for one) for several months and it still only worked in M mode with modern lenses. There's no way it was something natural that caused it...
08-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have only used the Energizer Lithiums or the Kodak rechargeables that I have always used with it. I also keep it out of heat storage and minimize its exposure to humidity. The camera works fine in M and Av modes once I "rebooted" the thing to get the SR and Geen button back.
08-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

Hi Blue

Have you tried a new set of Lithiums since you have had the problem, your rechargeables maybe wearing out and causing the problem. It's something to try.

Rick

08-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick in Ohio Quote
Hi Blue

Have you tried a new set of Lithiums since you have had the problem, your rechargeables maybe wearing out and causing the problem. It's something to try.

Rick
I swapped out the batteries and got the dial and af button working. I restarted with the FA 50 on there. The AF button was a bit dodgy at first.
08-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I swapped out the batteries and got the dial and af button working. I restarted with the FA 50 on there. The AF button was a bit dodgy at first.
thats odd

I guess we had entirely different problems?
08-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
thats odd

I guess we had entirely different problems?
It turns out that my problems were related to the AF-MF switch and the SR switch. The mode dial was actually ok when I put the FA 50mm on there. I thought the dial was the culprit because the green button wouldn't work until I reset the camera. That got the green button going again and eventually the SR. Swapping out the batteries got the AF going again.
09-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not really related at all, but FWIW, a couple of weeks ago I was starting to get the sense that my K200D shutter button was starting to fail - a bunch of times when pressing the shutter did nothing until I pressed it harder than I thought I normally needed to. Or else it felt like it was sensitive to *where* on the button i was applying pressure. But after a few days, it seems back to normal now. Or else I got used to it.