Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What does its successor need to be better to keep me from going for a cheaper K-x?

What do I like on the K-x that shouldn't change:
  • Performance and compactness on current K-x price level (incl low noise level and high ISO)
  • In camera image stabilization
  • Mode dial with both traditional/manual photography modes as well as modern "Point&Shoot" modes
  • Video functionality
What would I like to have changed on the successor compared to the K-x:
  • Larger LCD at higher resolution (at same compactness)
  • Automatic zoom functionality at Live View (for improved manual focus on tri-pod)
  • Level indicator at Live view / Level correction during exposure (especially for tri-pod in macro / panorama usage)
  • Time elapse / interval functionality (probably firmware only)
  • Better video functionality (incl connector for stereo microphone)
  • Improved Auto Focus (especially in low light without flash, e.g. by small build-in AF assist light)
How much are those potentially changes worth to me?
  • 100 USD for all?
Time will tell, but what is realistic to expect?

09-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Add WR and I'll give em an extra hundred, besides that I like the Kx as it is, any other incremental upgrades might be approaching Apple/Canon practices where models are gimped and upgraded in a fashion to force you to buy the upper models or replace your 6 month old camera
09-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WR would indeed be sweet

To compete with m43 maybe also more affordable pancake primes
09-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While some of these functions are cool (WR), I'll bet you they'll sell more cameras with a higher MP rating.

09-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am still not sold on the K-x getting replaced yet, or even a successor announced. It is only 10 months old and people are clamoring for a replacement? That just hasn't been Pentax's M.O.

I think asking for those specs is asking for a 3rd model to sit between the low and high end models - and Pentax has never done that (with the oft noted exception being the K200d, which is long in the tooth at this point and likely not to be replaced). The K-x already gets lumped with the mid-level cameras because they offer more features than entry level cameras, despite the clear entry-level pricing. Then accordingly, since they get reviewed and scored at the low end against the mid-level cameras, which it isn't!

I will concede with all the above said, Pentax does tend to practice trickle-down tech the last gen high end body features do tend to end up in the newest low end body. None of the things you asked for are earth shattering - AF will be improved, some will complain, others rejoice. I don't think you'll ever see an intervalometer beyond 99 images (due to CYA that if the camera breaks because of too many consecutive actuations they don't want the blame). Better video will probably come in the form of manual control, but I highly doubt it'll be above 720p. Larger LCD is a possibility, but likely same resolution.
09-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

K-r should have:
+ a better viewfinder
+ a better LCD display
+ WR
+ two dials

I think a lot of K10d/k20d owners have been looking for an upgrade. I am talking about the people who didn't buy the K-7 due to "noise" at high ISO and those who can not afford the K-5.

Kind regards
.lars
09-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
K-r should have:
+ a better viewfinder
+ a better LCD display
+ WR
+ two dials

I think a lot of K10d/k20d owners have been looking for an upgrade. I am talking about the people who didn't buy the K-7 due to "noise" at high ISO and those who can not afford the K-5.

Kind regards
.lars
Well you're looking at the K-5 then. Pentax is only going to have 2 bodies and they aren't going to cannibalize sales of the K-5 by giving the K-r high end features.

09-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

K-r should have:
+ a better viewfinder
+ a better LCD display
+ WR
+ two dials

Kind regards
.lars
Pentax users tend to be on the frugal side. Put all of those things in the low end body, and the high end body will sit on the shelf. Ain't gonna happen IMHO. I just bought my K-7 last month because it was a great deal. Essentially I saw it as a cosmetic and functional upgrade, however I wasn't going to pay $1K+ for a camera with essentially the same sensor (which I think was the consensus for many K20d owners). With a significantly improved sensor, the K-7 successor will get alot of those K20 owners to bite the bullet.
09-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

For me personally, it would be the weather sealing and the ability to do stop down metering without flipping the mirror. I'd love a larger pentaprism viewfinder and a second dial, but that seems highly unlikely at this class.

To really succeed in the market, it will also need the AF points in the viewfinder so reviewers will stop harping on that. An AF assist lamp and/or other AF improvements would probably make a big difference too.
09-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
For me personally, it would be the weather sealing and the ability to do stop down metering without flipping the mirror. I'd love a larger pentaprism viewfinder and a second dial, but that seems highly unlikely at this class.

To really succeed in the market, it will also need the AF points in the viewfinder so reviewers will stop harping on that. An AF assist lamp and/or other AF improvements would probably make a big difference too.
But we all know what sells in this market segment is MOAR MEGAPIXELSSSSSS!!!!!!!1111111
09-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The main thing I want is better predictive AF of objects moving towards me. Other AF performance is quick enough.

Other things I dislike about the K-x: no DFS (firmware update, please!) and low resolution reviewing (not limited by the screen)
09-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The One thing pentax need to improve is AutoFocus speed along with predictive continuous focus.
09-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Well you're looking at the K-5 then. Pentax is only going to have 2 bodies and they aren't going to cannibalize sales of the K-5 by giving the K-r high end features.
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Pentax users tend to be on the frugal side. Put all of those things in the low end body, and the high end body will sit on the shelf. Ain't gonna happen IMHO. I just bought my K-7 last month because it was a great deal. Essentially I saw it as a cosmetic and functional upgrade, however I wasn't going to pay $1K+ for a camera with essentially the same sensor (which I think was the consensus for many K20d owners). With a significantly improved sensor, the K-7 successor will get alot of those K20 owners to bite the bullet.
Not sure I agree with you.

If the K-5 has:
Faster/better AF.
Better metering
AF-assist lamp
More megapixels
More FPS
More solid weather sealing.
100% viewfinder.

K-r has:
Same AF and metering as K-x.
Viewfinder equal to k10d but not as good as K-5.
Lcd-display of 460k pixles which is better than K-x but not as good as K-5
Same FPS as K-x
WR but not weather SEALED like K-5.

I mean, these differences are big enough to prevent cannibalization if you ask me.

Kind regards
.lars
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Not sure I agree with you.

If the K-5 has:
Faster/better AF.
Better metering
AF-assist lamp
More megapixels
More FPS
More solid weather sealing.
100% viewfinder.

K-r has:
Same AF and metering as K-x.
Viewfinder equal to k10d but not as good as K-5.
Lcd-display of 460k pixles which is better than K-x but not as good as K-5
Same FPS as K-x
WR but not weather SEALED like K-5.

I mean, these differences are big enough to prevent cannibalization if you ask me.

Kind regards
.lars
Well for faster AF it probably means a new AF system, and then leaving it out of the low end to intentionally gimp it?

That'd just be mean if they did that
09-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I posted in an older thread, but will repeat here what I expect from the new cameras:
* 1080p video
* improved video SR (digital implementation)
* improved still frame SR (digital implementation)
* LCD in 16:9 aspect ratio
* Eye-Fi SD compatible
* improved LiveView responsiveness
* better noise performance at high ISO (by just less than one stop)
* face, smile and blink detection (works on your pets too!)
* slightly smaller and lighter form factor
* HDMI output
* focus dot overlay in viewfinder

And in the more advanced model:
* dual SD slots
* faster performance (image saving and responsiveness)
* improved AF with adjustable custom setting (fast priority versus accurate)
* slightly faster frame rate

The differentiating features will remain:
* improved viewfinder
* weather-sealing
* megapixel count
* dual dial ergonomics
* AF assist lamp
* larger buffer
* greater FPS