Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Too bad Pentax was there first.

Today, apple announced that their iPod Touch and iPhones are going to get HDR capability.

So now it's going to get into the mainstream beyond photo geeks. Do you think this represents a prime opportunity for Pentax to really market their in-camera HDR?

09-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In my opinion, any functionality that goes mainstream is a great opportunity to those that were there first. Now it will be another selling point over the competition.
09-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The iPhone gets HDR but I'm not sure about the touch. The touch only has a video camera that can grab stills, it's limited to 960x720 for stills. The front facing camera is VGA.

I'm still so getting one. My first-gen touch is past due for replacing.
09-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No, because in-camera HDR in it's current state is absolute garbage. I assume Apple is doing this to make-up for the rather lack-luster dynamic range in the iPhone 4's camera (All things aside for what it is it is in-fact a great little camera).

09-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm also guessing that it's somewhat easier for Apple to do handheld HDR since they don't have a physical shutter to close three times in quick succession. They may even be able to do all three exposures almost instantaneously with the rolling shutter.

You stand little to no chance of being able to shoot an in-camera HDR image on a DSLR without a tripod.

As was mentioned, you're not going to get HDR pics out of the iPhone. You're going to get pics that mimic the expanded range that DSLR's get normally.
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

I think the in camera HDR would be just a gimmick
09-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Do you think this represents a prime opportunity for Pentax to really market their in-camera HDR?
Pentax... Market???

09-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't think the HDR feature in their phones has anything to do with multiple exposures. It probably works like the HDR feature in my K20D, which you can apply in camera to any single JPEG you choose.
09-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I don't think the HDR feature in their phones has anything to do with multiple exposures. It probably works like the HDR feature in my K20D, which you can apply in camera to any single JPEG you choose.
Watch the keynote. It takes three exposures and combines them. It is entirely to overcome dynamic range issues with the camera. Jobs starts by complaining about blown highlights.
09-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by privateryan Quote
Pentax... Market???
Oh shoot I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.
09-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I never thought of in camera HDR as a feature, just a menu option that took the place of something useful
09-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I never thought of in camera HDR as a feature, just a menu option that took the place of something useful
...All in the eye of the beholder...If they could do the extreme tone mapping then it would be a hit. Consumers would dig that.