Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K7 LCD Rotation feature is infuriating

I've only had my K7 for a few weeks now and i'm still learning the in's and outs of the body but one thing that i have not been able to figure out is how to turn OFF that irritating feature that makes the lcd image flip 90 degrees whenever i tilt the camera. I utterly dispise it, and so far i have found nothing in the menu to turn it off. Please tell me that i'm missing it.

09-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Irritating? I find it wonderful. It annoys me that other camera's don't have this feature, including so-called "better specced' Canikons.

Having said that, i believe the function you are looking for is #34 under the custom menu."Auto Image Rotation".
09-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trevisthomas Quote
Please tell me that i'm missing it.

OK. You're missing it.

Ooops, I guess I was late :-D
09-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I take almost as many photos in Portrait orientation as with Landscape orientation.
I think the Auto-Rotate feature is a very nice feature, so that "Up" is always "Up" when I review my picture.
Anyway, like so many other settings on the K-7, its customisable.

09-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I just turn the display off for shooting. Press the Info button until it turns off and you don't have to look at it.

09-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I love this feature as well. I am impressed that it actually works correctly when you tilt the camera to either side.

I guess it I was annoyed with it I would suggest the previous solution of simply turning the lcd off when shooting and/or turn off the photo review option so you don't get a sideways camera data or a sideways photo on the screen
09-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm trying to understand why it's so infuriating . . . and my guess is it's one of two things.

1 - When it auto-rotates the preview on-screen, portrait orientation only fills a fraction of the screen, making it much harder to see if the shot was good

2 - If it's set up on a tripod and you leave it in portrait orientation, the auto-rotate on the screen may appear sideways.

In any event, don't shoot angry. I downloaded the K-7 manual and did a search for "rotate". You need to change Custom setting C34.

09-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Inactive Account

It is easy to turn off as others have mentioned above, but I find it to be one of the most useful features on the camera.

Just to clarify, if some don't have the K-7, the autorotate feature just keeps the lcd display oriented to normal viewing no matter what orientation the camera is in. So if you're reading the LCD in normal horizontal orientation, and you rotate the camera 90degrees counterclockwise, the image on the screen automatically rotates 90degrees clockwise so that it still appears readable without tilting your head. Basically it counteracts your rotation of the camera to always keep the LCD oriented for normal human reading left to right, top to bottom.
09-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the feature is a cats meow, really cool when shooting upside down.
09-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
normal human reading
Well that certainly floats one theory as to why the OP is so angry.
09-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the responses. I had already changed setting #34 but when it didnt do what i expected i switched it back on. I just got back home so that i could play with it and now i see what it does. It stops the image from rotating when you're in playback which is part of the problem but what i *really* wanted to stop is it from ever rotating anything EVER. With 34 disabled it still flips the settings onto their side. I guess i'll just have to get used to it but and i guess since everyone else seems to be fine or happy about it then i'm just in a fringe minority.

I swear that every time that i move the camera the lcd contents are flipping back and forth, and it is amazingly distracting to me. I guess maybe i can turn the LCD off completely when shooting?
09-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If it's flipping with very small movements, then it sounds like you've got an overzealous accelerometer.

When my accelerometer in my iPhone got stuck, the apple "Genius" suggested I smack it against my hand really hard. That did the trick with my iPhone, but I don't suggest doing it with your camera.
09-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by trevisthomas Quote

I swear that every time that i move the camera the lcd contents are flipping back and forth, and it is amazingly distracting to me. I guess maybe i can turn the LCD off completely when shooting?
Which is why I turn it off. When I'm taking a photo and trying to decide on P or L orientation, having that screen display flip around in my vision is Very annoying.

09-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I normally can`t see the display cause my eye is to the viewfinder when shooting.
No big deal.

Cheers, Mike.
09-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It does sometimes flip when it shouldn't for me, not often though. Generally it's when I'm also pointing the camera more down than horiz.