Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #1

Urgent help!Dust removal from the viewfinder

Hi! All,

I have a shoot coming up on Sat and need urgent help. I thought it was the dust on the sensor and cleaned it atleast 5 times today. No results. Then I cleaned the mirror and finally realized it is in the viewfinder lens ( the piece of glass on which the bracket and the centering ring are) if that thats the right terminology.

I tried blowing and suction but to no avail. Somehow the dust has increased and a bunch of lint has also gathered.

Im good with my hands. Is there anyway I can remove/release that peice and clean the side which encloses the dust?

The sensor was easy for me after following instruction from photosol.com

I just need advice on howto go about this if there is a way out.

thanks in advance.

tasha

08-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

is the dust showing up on the photos?

are you saying its above the mirror right below the prism?
if it is, then you are fine for the saturday shoot because dust there doesnt show up in the photos. its not in the path of light focused on the sensor when the mirror is up.

i wish i could show you the view through my ist*D
you need a roadmap to look through all of the crap in there...but nothing on the photos because it is the underside of the prism housing that is all 'F'ed up.

am i on the right track with this?
08-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To confirm dust is on the mirror or above take a shot on a soild non white color, and check for spots.

If there is nothing in the image, there is no dust on the sensor.

As others have responded there is no issue with images if the dust is in the view finder. In fact, I would simply forget about it. I have found that with SLRs, over the past 25 years that dust is a fact of live in the viewfinder.

In fact, unless people have a real problem even with the sensor, I think people are spending too much time looking into flaws that can eb easily fixed in a photo editor, and too little time taking good pictures
08-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tasha, while dust in the viewfinder is -very- annoying, it doesn't result in any spots in the image. I did my whole trip to Tanzania with a filthy viewfinder. so just an FYI to set your mind at ease that you can "just deal with it" if you don't clean it in time.

08-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

lol STOP what you are doing... dont mess with anything else... i have learned that trying to get a peace of hair or dust out in panic will ALWAYS result in more dust like you have mentioned... And it can and will get worse if you keep messing with it... If you REALLY want it out, take it to a repair shop and have it cleaned. Dont touch the mirror anymore, not a good idea... its not really a good idea to even put your fingers inside the camera lol... Trust me on this one!
08-31-2007, 02:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the responses

Yes, it is not on the sensor and does not show up on the pics. I wanted to fix it and hence wanted to know if anyone had done it.

The dust is not something that is bearable. There is a buch of lint in there and wanted to get it out before selling it to a friend. The shoot tomorrow is a kind of orientation for my friend.

I will take it to the repair guy and keep my fingers crossed. There is no pentax repair or outlet here. You are so lucky esp if you are in the US.

take care,

Kind regards,

Tasha & Paul
08-31-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

just take the lens off and spray it out with a garden hose.
09-01-2007, 01:34 AM   #8

Hi, clearing out dust from the viewfinder is pretty easy.

You get a rocket blower (Giottos has one, but it doesn't matter what brand you buy), you get off your lens (do NOT slap the mirror up, you are not cleaning your sensor), and you blow into the viewfinder cavity (like, a few times). Put lens back on and see if it's clean; if not, repeat the procedure. There you have it

I cannot recommend cleaning the mirror at all, it's a very, very unlikely thing of catching dust and if it does, again, blowing with a rocket blower should fix it.

One thing you should watch is that dust out of the viewfinder may end up on your sensor after the blowing, so you have to take a test picture at F22 (picture the sky or something) and see if there's any dust. If so, lens off, mirror up and blow on the sensor a few times. Done.

Maybe I'm lucky but I did not need any other cleaning method besides the blower.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbling Quote
lol STOP what you are doing... dont mess with anything else... i have learned that trying to get a peace of hair or dust out in panic will ALWAYS result in more dust like you have mentioned... And it can and will get worse if you keep messing with it... If you REALLY want it out, take it to a repair shop and have it cleaned. Dont touch the mirror anymore, not a good idea... its not really a good idea to even put your fingers inside the camera lol... Trust me on this one!
And I'm with this guy!

09-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL So I'm not the only one annoyed by the dust in the view finder I tired everything, blower in mine just made it worse. For landscapes, and cityscapes no problems, but with magnified eyecup and macro lens - ugly sight!

I called Pentax, they said the first annual cleaning is free (under warranty), so I shipped mine out yesterday, it will soon be a year of happy ownership of K10D

D
09-01-2007, 04:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I got plenty of dust in my view finder. Like flies trapped inside it.

I just live with it.
09-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #11

Original Poster
Got it cleaned

Hi! all

thanks for all the responses. Was definitely comforting.

I took it to the repair guy. He took it out in front of me and I was not satisfied. There were 2 specs on it. He managed to get it 100% clean for a hundred bucks.

I mean Rs 100 which is $2.5

Im so glad and tension free. The shoot went off well.

Paul
12-18-2007, 12:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

A big thanks to all

PANIC!!!!!!

Looked through my viewfinder today & there it was, a large spot/dust/lint right in the centre of the viewfinder

Waded through all the threads on cleaning etc & found found this post.

Followed instructions to the T with my blower & problem solved, dust/lint gone

Again my thanks to all, Wal'

QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
Hi, clearing out dust from the viewfinder is pretty easy.

You get a rocket blower (Giottos has one, but it doesn't matter what brand you buy), you get off your lens (do NOT slap the mirror up, you are not cleaning your sensor), and you blow into the viewfinder cavity (like, a few times). Put lens back on and see if it's clean; if not, repeat the procedure. There you have it

I cannot recommend cleaning the mirror at all, it's a very, very unlikely thing of catching dust and if it does, again, blowing with a rocket blower should fix it.

One thing you should watch is that dust out of the viewfinder may end up on your sensor after the blowing, so you have to take a test picture at F22 (picture the sky or something) and see if there's any dust. If so, lens off, mirror up and blow on the sensor a few times. Done.

Maybe I'm lucky but I did not need any other cleaning method besides the blower.

And I'm with this guy!