Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

Advice needed for: off camera flash guns for Samsung GX20

Hi,

I'm looking to buy one or two off camera flash guns as I can't afford to buy flash heads with battery pack, for my outdoor portraits. I need some advice because I don't know which flash guns work off camera with the Samsung GX20? I'm TOTALLY lost. Can someone please help me?? I need them to fire exactly the same time, too.

Would REALLY appreciate feedback ) Thank you!

09-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a list of compatible Pentax flashes (you'll probably be interested the most in the AF360FGZ): Flashes (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags

Furthermore, here are third-party flashes that will also work: Flashes (Third-party) - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags I can recommend the Sigma EF 500 as a budget choice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! After reading your advice, I'm now thinking of buying the Sigma EF 500 DG, but I was hoping you could answer these questions I have, before I buy.

1. If I bought two Sigma EF 500 DG flash guns to be used together, off-camera, would they fire a flash exactly the same time?

2. Could I use this flash gun as wireless straight away, or do I have to buy accessories in order to use wireless flash?

3. Can I use the flash in manual mode?

I'm REALLY sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm really NEW to this.

Thank you SO much for your help!
09-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
Also, can the Sigma EF 500 DG flash gun fit onto a light stand?

09-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
New idea....

Wait! Wait! Wait!

If I were to buy several Vivitar 283 flash heads (can they work with Samsung GX20?), could I use them ALL at once, to get them to flash exactly the same time? If so, how? These flash guns are SO cheap, and I have such a small budget. They would be perfect (I think?)

(Again, SO sorry for all the questions)
07-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
Any help appreciated. PLEEEASE
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samsungx20 Quote
Any help appreciated. PLEEEASE
Here you go: Vivitar 283 flash trigger voltage

Yes, you can make your flashes to fire simultanously - no problem with that... I would advise using the cheap radio triggers to do so - the Yongnuo
CTR-301P can work with 320V max voltage flashes (official manufacturer information!) and - it just works .

If I were you I would get interested in the King of Cheap Flashes - Sunpak 622 Pro. A word of caution - the Sunpak 622 Auto pro is a bit weaker - you want 622 without "auto" (it's the same thing as auto, just more powerful). It is safe to use without any external triggers. Just make sure you get the PC cable to attach it to your camera. I use this flash on my Pentax K7 and it works superbly.
07-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For off-camera flash work there is (IMHO) very little need for a expensive p-ttl flash gun...

I currently use a Vivitar 285hv and a YN560 (both manual flashes)... You could get 2 of either of these and some cactus V5 triggers and a couple of stands and brollies and still have change at the same price as the Pentax/Sigma/Metz-p-ttl offerings...

07-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For off-camera flash, some low-dollar options

Since the OP mentions getting cheap Vivitar flashes, I'm assuming that price is an object here. I concur that for off-camera lighting, TTL metering is pointlessly expensive. Radio triggers are probably the way to go, but optical triggering can also be made to work. The Youngnuo YN-560 is a nicely-featured flash with a built-in optical slave for well under a hundred bucks. It also allows you very fine control over flash output, which is very handy for balancing portraits. However, there have been reports of quality-control issues, so you're taking a bit of a risk for your low-dollar lighting.

Strobist.com has been recommending the LumoPro LP160 manual flash for some time, it's twice as expensive but their quality reputation is quite high. One nice feature there is the 1/8" sync-cord socket, so that you can hardwire your setup for very little money. (Again, buying radio triggers obviates that problem.)

Of course, you need something to trigger the optical slave if you go that route. Frequently I hardwire to one flash and have another on optical slave (I just use el cheapo Vivitar 2800s plugged into separate optical slaves); other times I'll dial down the power of my K-7's popup and use that to trigger the slaves. (Of course you can't use it in P or green mode or it will pre-flash to meter, prematurely triggering the slaves.) Sometimes I'll even craft a deflector out of foil or some such to vent all the light away from the subjects, using it solely as a slave trigger.