Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Speed

Who said Pentax was not good enough for sorts?

K20 + 100mm Macro

Last edited by philippe; 01-14-2011 at 01:09 AM.
09-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots.

But to be fair, with a 100mm lens @ f8, almost any camera could have done this, including a manual focus one. I think the people that are complaining about Pentax's inadequacy for sports are thinking more along the lines of shooting with something like a 300mm @ 2.8, where the focus has to be much faster and more critical.
09-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with junyo, at this kind of situation, you can definitely get a decent shot.

I guess I suggestion is that to take some shots while they are coming towards you, I think Pentax AF system is a little lacking in that kind of situation.
09-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do agree I wish the K20D was faster in the AF field. But shots can be made of objects coming straight at you. The photo below is from this last weekend and the bike in front was probably coming at me at about 40-50 mph. I was using the Pentax K20D and Pentax DA*300 if I remember correctly. Sorry I don't remember any of the other settings such as f stop or ISO settings. I was using AF-C pushing the shutter half way down while tracking the riders and hitting the AF button on the back just a hair before taking the pictures. Now I still have a lot of throw aways but this could be because that weekend was my first time using the button on the back of the K20D.

Anyhow I'm pretty happy with what I am using. Sure I wish it was faster and maybe ponying up and spending a couple grand on a 300 f/2.8 would solve that problem. But I'm just not ready to do that. Maybe next year.

So I guess I'm saying I'm still happy with the Pentax and will put up my photos next to the photos of other photographers (non Pentax users) and mine will look just as good.

Thanks
Jim