Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Evolution Quote
I'd probably miss being able to change the metering easily, but the AF isn't a big deal for me. I mostly use center-recompose, so no need to change & no need to verify selected AF point.
I didn't mean selection of focus points, I use center-recompose almost exclusively. I meant switching from AF-S to AF-C (I never never use the K-x's horrible AF-A).

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Actually changing both metering and AF are relatively easy on the K-x
Not compared to the switches on the K10/K20/K-7.

09-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
Forum Member

my reply, as best I can answer.

1. How cumbersome are ISO control and exposure compensation on the k-x? I do a lot of natural light / low light shooting in Av mode. I'll usually set the aperture where I want it, and then if my shutter speed is too slow I'll increase ISO til I reach the threshold of good hand-holdability. I'll sometimes notch the compensation up or down 1/3 from there if I'm unhappy with my curve. On my K10D I have the front dial set to control compensation by default and to control ISO when I have the OK button pressed. From what I understand, compensation can be controlled by the dial on the k-x, but I'll need to enter the menu to make ISO adjustments. Will the increase in low light performance be enough to overcome the inconvenience of menu-controlled ISO?

surprisingly, in low light does really well... a bit grainy, even if you set to low grain, and, best to download the manual, default ISO is 200~6400, read the manual to add ISO 100 (some settings disable ISO 100) and 12800. manual is a PDF. hold the +/- and adjust compensation. answer to light performance, may be good, but grainy still.

2. Video performance (and iso100). Dabbling in HD video is one of the big reasons I'm picking up a k-x, but I've read some conflicting things about exposure in video mode. For example, I've read that the k-x defaults to iso100 in video mode, but I've also read that the camera doesn't even have a true iso100 and that you actually lose some dynamic range at the 100 setting. So two things: What's the real story behind the iso100 setting on the k-x? And will the AE-L button allow me to lock in any preferred exposure settings of my choice (aperture, iso, shutter speed) while in video mode? not used AE-L even on old K100d, not used. the video works, bur in 16:9 setting, 1 minute of video is 152+ MB, get a 16 GB card. will eat batteries up, but kinda slow at it.

3. Sanyo Eneloops? Li Ion? Which batteries are most reliable for the k-x? And how many shots can I expect to get in one lifecycle/charge? Also, what kind of toll does video take on the batteries? my opinion on eneloops, good, but not as good as energizer 2500 MH to last. but eneloops only 2rd, come as 2000 MH. Li might be listed for 700 shots, but I got about 300 without flash used on batteries that came with camera. oh, check your battery settings, it has Li, Ni-Hi, alkaline, and auto. had eneloops in, set on Li, said batteries were dead from full charge, changed setting, turned off camera, turned on, full charge. shot wedding and done 770 shots, really, but used 4 sets of batteries. plan on about 200~250 shots.
09-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I didn't mean selection of focus points, I use center-recompose almost exclusively. I meant switching from AF-S to AF-C (I never never use the K-x's horrible AF-A).
I use AF-C exclusively... just pull my finger off the trigger quickly if I only want one.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Not compared to the switches on the K10/K20/K-7.
Yup. That's what I was getting at. I will definitely miss the metering switch.

Last edited by Evolution; 09-03-2010 at 11:29 PM.