Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 05:44 AM   #31

Nice pics. I did a lot of try with my K100DS but I always had huge noise (photos full of red pixels), I believe you did some good PP to extract thoses nices results.

Is anybody doing astrophotography is looking forward the k5?

I'd like to upgrade my K100D and I'd like this camera could perform well in astrophoto (amongst other photo type of course, not only astro).

So far, the positive point I noticed with K5 is that DFS can be disabled (was not possible on K7). It seems there's also a noise reduction done by the camera itself on raw files (like on Nikon's) but it start only from 1600 iso so it should be ok for astrophoto pics (usualyy taken
between 100 and 400 iso).

10-25-2010, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been spending some time on Astrophotography. It's not something you need to spend a government mint on to get started in. You just need a solid tripod and preferably a cable shutter release. Sure, the hobby can get very expensive fast though. I'm still not into that territory.

Flickr: dslrninja's stuff tagged with astrophotos05052010

Generally, using a wide-angle lens is best when getting started as you can take longer exposures before you see noticeable blur in the image. That image above was taken with the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye lens. Larger aperture lenses are also good so you can take shorter exposures while still getting decent detail.

I took this shot of the moon recently with a K-7, DA* 300mm and 1.5x Kenko TC:

The Moon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is a blog entry I wrote on the subject recently.
10-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iClick Quote
Does anyone know if a K200D would be any good for astrophotography? I'm interested of taking pictures of the milky way and other deep space imagery. What lense(s) would I need?
K200D is perfect for doing Astrophotography but for what you want to take photos of you WILL need a telescope, you can start with a starter package like i got for my nephews, Bushnell North Star, it comes with basic tracking and complete as seen here...seems it's on sale HERE
Unfortunately a Canon Rebel is attached to it as i just recently gave my K200D system to the future Star Troopers

I got my adapters from Florida though CNC Supply, there are lots of places online to get stuff from.

I have not done any shooting with them as yet.

This is about as Astrophotographer as i will get (P&S Canon SX30is)

Last edited by Clicker; 10-25-2010 at 02:39 PM.
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #34
Veteran Member

The OP: "milky way and other deep space imagery"

He should be able to get buy with 50mm or longer for the milky way from what I've read.

"Deep space imagery" on the other hand will require a telescope and motorized mount. I think a mount scope combo around $2500 would be more in-line with actually being able to photograph those deep sky objects. The mount is especially important and it's best to get a motorized German-equatorial type one.

I've thought about getting a "Astrotrac" ( Astrophotography Made Easy - Home ) motorized mount that's specifically designed for photography, but cost wise it doesn't look to be that good of a deal as they require a 3 axis tripod head for the thing to work.

10-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just a quick note on T adapters. You can forget that old threaded system of attaching a DSLR to a scope.

Look for something called a MAX dslr. They make them for Pentax Canon and Nikon as far as i remember. Its a 2" tube one end and a bayonet DSLR mount
( just like a lens ) on the other end. You can use an adapter to reduce from 2 " to 1¼ " , which are the two common sizes.

I've used a 600mm refractor scope for bird photography, and will be in the process of getting another at some point. Its a cheap way to get massive reach without spending zillions £££$$$$$

I'm not an astro togger, more like a bird togger, but i have taken some moon shots with both a DSLR / Manual Focus Tamron, and this one with DSLR and that 600mm astro scope i had

When the photo opens, click it to get full size

http://photo-sharing.winsoftmagic.com/1/9d86nlimbo.jpg

By the way, the scope cost me £250 ex demo.

Last edited by Squier; 10-25-2010 at 06:57 PM.
10-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #36

I had never heard of those MAX dslr adapters, now I need one!
I have a small refractor that I want to couple to my K-x
10-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

here ya go ed

I've still got mine, but its a canon mount, so simply de-mounted ( 3 screws ) the canon mount from the tube section, (no longer a canon user ! ) and epoxied on a Pentax mount i stole from an old PK lens. Just saved me £24 , as the lens was foobarred anyway

Adaptors - Max DSLR Camera Adaptor

10-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #38
Veteran Member

10-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #39

Cool
How long must the extension tube be to get the camera to focus?
10-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #40
Pentaxian

After seeing Nightfly's wide field images here on Pentax Forum, that Milky Way shot is missing a few billion stars
10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Flanders Quote
Cool
How long must the extension tube be to get the camera to focus?
Somewhere between 50mm and 80mm of ext tube will get from about 5/6 metres to infinity. The MAX dslr on its own, straight into the focuser will not be enough. Extra ext. tube would be needed, but they're cheap

I dont how good this set up would be for ' deep space ' as the OP wants, but the K200D would be ok. Just a matter of getting a scope. I think the real Deep Space boys will be using Reflector Scopes, like Dobsonians
10-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #42
krp
Veteran Member

Would something like this be good for taking long exposures of the stars? Orion Adventures in Astro-Imaging Bundle | Orion Telescopes & Binoculars
I've recently become interested in astrophotography. I've taken lots of startrail pictures but it would be nice to get detailed pictures of space without trailing. Without a tracker I'm limited to about 2 seconds on my 300mm lens if I don't want trailing.
10-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Maybe someone can help who knows about this stuff, but I dont have any experience of deep space astro togging, just bird photography, and only using using a refractor, rather than a reflector like a dobsonian
10-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #44

Nightfly great images I've seen you around cloudy nights. Great to see some interest in astro-photography. I've been lurking around the potn forum which is mainly canon users. Another inexpensive way is a barn door tracker.

I bought the k-x just haven't gone the time to build a tracker or purchase one. With the dark frame added that kicks in after 30s is it still possible to take long images. Or would i have to stop before 30s and just stack them?
10-27-2010, 03:28 AM   #45

Yes, a barndoor tracker would be a great way to track and because stacking short exposures is the prefered method, frames that show trailing can be discarded. I would suggest trying to stack 29 second exposures at ISO 800 or 1600. This is going by suggestions made by Jerry Lodriguss.

Check out his site below. Jerry was a film shooter for decades and is now a great digital shooter. Lots of helpful advice on how to shoot digital. He details his exposures and equipment. There is a section for begginers and for more advanced photogs. He has a few good books out as well. I highly recommend them.

Catching the Light: Astrophotography by Jerry Lodriguss

Catching the Light Blog

Astrophotography Techniques