Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #661
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's amazing! I like how you really captured the dark area around it too.

09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #662
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks! If I had done a better job of framing the image, I would have placed the nebula off to the side to capture more of the dark lane. The darkest part of the dust cloud is just at the edge, tantalizingly close.
09-24-2013, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #663

milky mmmmmmmmmmmm

had a crack at astro used the o-gps1 on top, tripod, crappy beer. then forgets to calibrate the bloody thing........but got this from far nth queensland
oh i thinks the exposure is around 100-120sec@f8 iso 1000ish

oh there ya go.......... just read the exif......................105sec f5.6 1600
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by forestG; 09-26-2013 at 03:23 AM.
09-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #664
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by forestg Quote
had a crack at astro used the o-gps1 on top, tripod, crappy beer. Then forgets to calibrate the bloody thing........but got this from far nth queensland
Nice!.

09-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #665
Site Supporter

Heart and Soul Nebula

The Heart (IC 1805) and Soul (IC 1848) Nebula are near Cassiopeia and are rising now. The combination makes a striking composition as it nearly fills the field of view of a 300mm lens on an APSC sensor camera.

Taken on just one night where equipment and weather cooperated on September 28, 2013. This is a stack of 9 subexposures at F5.6, F6.7, and F8 each at 1200 seconds duration. The range of F stops was used to try to control the purple fringe and coma that streaks the stars off-center.

Full size on Astrobin showing background noise from skyglow.
10-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #666
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
Heart and Soul Nebula
smigol, you continue to amaze me with how faint nebulosity you can pull out of the skies. On a scale from 1-10, how good (dark, transparent, calm) are your night skies?
10-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #667
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by forestG Quote
had a crack at astro used the o-gps1 on top, tripod, crappy beer. then forgets to calibrate the bloody thing........but got this from far nth queensland

oh there ya go.......... just read the exif......................105sec f5.6 1600
Whoa! Thats great! You must have amazing dark skies. I can never get anything but the brightest stars before light pollution starts showing up on the image.
10-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #668
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
smigol, you continue to amaze me with how faint nebulosity you can pull out of the skies. On a scale from 1-10, how good (dark, transparent, calm) are your night skies?
Where this image of the Heart and Soul was done, it was in my awful home skies where I'm surrounded by orange streetlights (which is good because I can filter those out) and just a few feet above sea level. I can't see the milky way from my location and limiting magnitude is no more than 4. I also have tall horizons - no lower than 30 degrees.

When I go to my local dark site, I'm moving from a Red to an Orange zone. The advantage of the site is that I'm gaining about 2000 feet to be above the marine layer and the murky air of the lowlands. On good nights, the clouds will come and block the city lights. On these good nights, limiting magnitude can be 6 or better where the milky way starts to look textured. There are low horizons including a view to the south that is over the ocean.

The great advantage about being here is the seeing. The air flows directly off the pacific ocean and is smooth. Seeing is usually in the 2 arcsecond range. Transparency is dependent on the weather and the amount of moisture in the air. I can view the satellite picture to get an idea of how much skyglow/murk will be for the evening.

Important to note that for almost all of the pictures I take, I'm using a light pollution filter. The filter helps to control the skyglow form artifical lighting. It used to be that most streetlights and exterior lighting was either mercury or sodium (the bluish or yellow streetlights respectively). These emit in specific frequencies that can be reduced with notch filters. Now that LEDs are starting to take over with their broadband spectrum these light pollution filters are getting less effective. Luckily, I'm in the county rather than city jurisdiction, so it'll be a long time before the local streetlights change to LED. However, the towns near me are starting to convert to LED. Will see how this effects my home skies.

Last edited by smigol; 10-02-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added more information
10-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #669
Site Supporter

I am even the more impressed then, smigol!
10-06-2013, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #670
Inactive Account

IC434 with K5 mod
208s*35 iso1600
China ,Zhejiang Anji,Tianhuangping
10-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #671
Pentaxian

After a few months without finding time to use the thing (camera issues - I have a damaged sensor) I noticed Orion rising to the east last night under remarkably clear skies. Sensor damage be damend, I decided to give the O-GPS1 a spin again and wound up catching this with the 50mm f/1.4. I want to say this as wide open, or only stopped down a notch or two.

Kind of heavy handed post work involved to hide the YARRRGH from the sensor wreckage, but I like how it came out. The discoloration on the bottom was from the insane light pollution in teh shot (its from the sodium lights all over the neighborhood, most of which are just a bit off frame below the image).

10-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #672
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
After a few months without finding time to use the thing (camera issues - I have a damaged sensor) I noticed Orion rising to the east last night under remarkably clear skies. Sensor damage be damend, I decided to give the O-GPS1 a spin again and wound up catching this with the 50mm f/1.4. I want to say this as wide open, or only stopped down a notch or two.

Kind of heavy handed post work involved to hide the YARRRGH from the sensor wreckage, but I like how it came out. The discoloration on the bottom was from the insane light pollution in teh shot (its from the sodium lights all over the neighborhood, most of which are just a bit off frame below the image).

Very nice! I like how crystal clear the image is. Looks like it must have been a beautiful night.
10-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #673
Pentaxian

Some awesomely impressive photos from this thread... I'll toss in this one, which I will happily admit is nothing near these others, but it's still kinda fun. This was a 40-second exposure, ISO 100, f1.8, on my little Olympus XZ-1 on Manfrotto tripod. Not bad for a compact camera...

This one was a 60-second exposure so the stars are blurrier, but the cloud over the lakeshore looked kinda cool. The sky glow area is the town of West Yellowstone.

Jim
10-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #674
Forum Member

I just purchased the Celestron SkyProdigy 130 the adapter for my K5 should be here in a few weeks, can't wait to use it! SkyProdigy 130 Computerized Telescope [item # 31153]
10-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #675
Site Supporter

Bubble Nebula at Calstar 2013

Taken on Oct 4 - 5, 2013, this is the stack of just 4 subexposures. The sky was dark and clear, removing the need for light pollution filters.

Taken with the cooled and modified Pentax K10D using the Stellarvue SV4 scope.

I would have liked to gather more data on the target but was limited to how much time I could dwell in the area due to a film project.

See more: Flickr | Astrobin | Blogged
Attached Images

Last edited by smigol; 10-13-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Added links