Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #1006
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Some very nice shots in this thread!!!

But one thing still not clear to me. I read that with O-GPS1 the tracking time could be up to 5 minutes. Is this time not long enough to be able to produce a proper shot? I mean is stacking a must for astrophotography?

For extremely faint objects or to get maximum detail it is a must. For a quick photo it's not necessary. The most critical thing in astrophotography is excellent tracking. You can have $100k in camera gear but if it's not tracking the object accurately then you won't get a good photo. The O-GPS1 is an amazing piece of equipment considering the fact that it allows a simple tripod to be used. 5 minutes should be enough for a good shot that can be used in a stack of images.

obin

01-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #1007
Site Supporter

But one thing still not clear to me. I read that with O-GPS1 the tracking time could be up to 5 minutes. Is this time not long enough to be able to produce a proper shot? I mean is stacking a must for astrophotography?
It probably depends on what you are trying to capture. You could probably get a nice Milky Way image without stacking using just the O-GPS1. But deep sky objects really benefit from stacking because you need as much exposure time as possible to capture them. Alternatively, you can use a really high ISO, but that will cause a crazy amount of noise in a single exposure. I'm not sure how it works, but stacking tames the noise quite a bit. My photo in this thread is a stack of images taken at ISO 16000, yet to my eye, it doesn't look overly noisy. So you can take a bunch of shorter exposures and stack them to get better results than the one long exposure.

Maybe someone with much more experience can comment on exactly how stacking works, but it does work.

You can still use the O-GPS1, as I did. I needed it to get the 10 second exposures without star trailing.

EDIT: Or what Obin said!
01-20-2015, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #1008
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
I used my Celestron 80ED doublet apochromatic telescope with GSO dual-speed 2" focuser. The camera was attached using a Hotech SCA T-adapter which I find is superior to other methods. Even though the telescope is a doublet I still use my William Optics minus violet filter. Here's a photo of my gear as I was getting the telescope acclimated before the session. The camera doesn't go outside until it's time to balance the telescope and focus with the Bahtinov mask.

I didn't even use the autoguider as this session was a test to see how the K-3 did with the comet in a 'worst case' scenario. The ST80 in the background is my spotter for finding the objects I am going to photograph.

obin
Wow, nice set up. I'll go to the back of the classroom and sit down now with my little Orion SkyScanner 100mm.

---------- Post added 01-20-15 at 02:40 PM ----------

I've been doing shots of meteor showers with no tracking, so you don't have to track or stack your pix for a nice image if you've got your settings and the right lens. Oh and a clear sky.

Here's a meteor and my first try at the Milky Way back in August or so:

01-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #1009
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Evans Quote
Hi chaps, I'm just getting into this Astrophotography business, started out with a Haig mount and soon found limitations of that with longer telephoto lenses. So graduated to a motorised Skywatcher EQ5 with PC control, on which I have a K5 with DA300 and a 1.4TC.
I'm working from the eastern side of Manchester here in UK, so reasonably light polluted. This is my first serious effort with the new kit - 40 exposures of 2 mins each, plus darks and flats, stacked in DSS and finished off in Lightroom.
Hints and tips welcome...

Paul
Hi, Paul. Nice image. However, the white balance is too green. If you are shooting RAW (which you should be for astro work), it is easy to change. But to give yourself less work, it is better to just set the WB manually to the Daylight preset for astro. You avoid the colour balance shifting wildly on you between frames by doing so.

Jack

01-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #1010
Site Supporter

Here's a better attempt at Comet Lovejoy. We have such bad light pollution here that I needed to keep the exposures short. I am still pleased with what I could get using a stack of 10 second photos. The K-3 really is an awesome camera for astrophotography. I used my 80ED mounted to the modified Orion Skyview Pro equatorial mount just like last time.

obin
01-21-2015, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #1011
Pentaxian

Here is an attempt with a K5, 70mm limited and O-GPS1. Stack of 30 pictures at 15 seconds each, I was hoping for a better result but light pollution didn't allow it.
Attached Images

01-22-2015, 06:25 PM - 2 Likes   #1012
Site Supporter

Lovejoy again! but what a great comet. I don't think we've had such a great comet in the northern sky since Holmes 7 years ago. This was shot Tuesday night January 20th.

Lovejoy with the Pleiades

smc DA* 50-135 mm f/2.8 @ 90 mm f/3.2. 42 x 20 s iso 2500. Tracked with O-GPS1

Lovejoy with Pleiades and California nebula

For this one my long trusted A 50 f/1.4 let me down. It did spend a few hours at -18C before the shooting began
so it may explain why I couldn't find correct focus. But I don't remember having such a trouble in the past winters
25 min exposure in 20, 40 and 60 s shots @ f/2.2 iso 2500. Tracked with Pentax O-GPS1
01-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #1013
Site Supporter

Awesome shots, SunValley!! Both are incredible!

01-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #1014
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Awesome shots, SunValley!! Both are incredible!
Many thanks! The top one is my very first with the DA*50-135. I think I'm going to like this lens for astronomy.
01-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #1015
Forum Member

It's much easier to shoot nightsky pictures in areas where light pollution is = zero, as it is in US National Parks or in parts of New Zealand
01-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #1016
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LucaBumble Quote
It's much easier to shoot nightsky pictures in areas where light pollution is = zero, as it is in US National Parks or in parts of New Zealand
The problem with shooting night pics in the US, National Parks or not, are the ever present aircraft. Even Death Valley at 2 am is not free of them.
01-27-2015, 01:01 PM - 4 Likes   #1017
Site Supporter

lovejoy again

Finally managed a capture a photo of Comet Lovejoy with my new ES 127 apo scope and K3. The First quarter moon was very close to the comet and washed out the tail. Photo is 19- 30 sec. exposures 1600 iso and delayed shutter stacked with deep sky stacker.
Hank
Attached Images

01-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #1018
Site Supporter

Wow, look at the tail! Well done, oneeyedhawk!!
01-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #1019
Veteran Member

The Moon taken with an Orion Sky Scanner 100 - 4" reflector, a digiscoping adaptor, and Pentax Q with 01 prime lens. This one of my first shots and once I get some filters, I think I will get better results.

02-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #1020
Veteran Member

The full Frost Moon using my SkyScanner 400mm, 2x barlow lens and K-30. And one shot using the same setup with a Pentax 2x rear converter, 1600mm?

Last edited by Kendigitize; 08-23-2015 at 04:30 AM.